It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing waterspout 'tornado' caught on camera off Australia

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Ok I can't help but think that a waterspout would be the ultimate ride and I'm not entirely sure, but it seems completely survivable.

No real debris and if it drops you in the ocean you should be fine. I think you would be thrown out before you reached to great of a height due to weight.

What do you guys think? Thrill seekers should be seeking out waterspouts? I want to see someone do it.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
First off all waterspouts have been occurring forever and they are not rare at all. This is not a result of global warming or Co2 (hahaha) and they occur all over the world. Normally in warmer climates. The Florida Keys are notorious for waterspouts. Although they look very very impressive, if you were to rate them on the same scale which measures Tornadoes, they would be an F0.

Waterspouts can occur over salt water as well as fresh water. They have even been known to happen over the Great Lakes region. They are common around Japan as well as at the equator off the shores of Africa, The Gulf of Mexico, and many parts of the Caribbean. In 2003 we saw one of the largest outbreaks on record for the Great Lakes Region. 66+ waterspouts over a 7 day period and in 1 day there was 21 over Lake Ontario. Here is great overview of that event for anyone interested Mariners Weather Log

Now there are several types of waterspouts. Fair weather spouts generally occur in nice warm weather. Not attached to any type of storm and usually starts from the bottom moving upwards.

Tornadic waterspouts start from above and move downward, and these are accompanied by thunderstorms. This is basically your tornado over water.

There are also winter waterspouts which are made of snow, though they are very rare.

So I am very sorry to have to break up the Global Warming Fear Party that seems to starting here, but as impressive as the footage is Waterspouts are commonplace. I even recall a story of a massive, massive waterspout off the coast of Massachusetts in the late 1800's that would dwarf this footage. I will try to find the info on it and if I can find it I will post it here.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Does global warming create more frequent and more intense tornadoes?

"Tornadoes are relatively small, short-lived phenomena and scientists don’t have robust enough data to determine whether and how climate change may be affecting tornado frequency, intensity, or the geographic range where tornadoes are most likely to form.

Tornadoes often form when warm, moist air near the Earth’s surface rises and interacts with cooler and drier air higher in the atmosphere. This creates unstable conditions that are favorable for thunderstorms and sometimes tornadoes."

"Unlike thunderstorms, tornadoes need a rotational source such as when warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico wafts over the southeast and strong Jetstream air aloft arrives from a westerly direction, as during the tragic string of tornadoes in April 2011.

While one study found that the number of tornadoes reported in the United States has increased by around 14 per year over the past 50 years, the trend may have more to do with how tornadoes are tracked and reported rather than how many are actually forming.

Similarly, the study found that severity ratings for tornadoes are usually based on the damage they cause to structures and may not have been consistently applied over the past fifty years."
Source

www.washingtonpost.com...
thisgreenblog.com...
thinkprogress.org...

Peace to you ..
edit on 31-5-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Hey noob , welcome aboard

Sorry but Global Warming is another Tax the government wants to put on us ,
Anyone remember that 'One day we will pay for Air ? 'This is it , Carbon Tax = Pay for Air .
FTG, Go Earth !

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Um, I counted 3 waterspouts...and the waterfall shot was amazing! Great video.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
that was awesome. i would be crapping bricks if i saw that in person. for some reason i have dreams of giant water spouts and tidal waves. nature is not to be trifled with.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by StaceyWilson

Hey nooby-stacey, learn how improve your behavior especially to mach older persons ..

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Leave us alone with your Co2 bunk, fluoride head.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

HAHAHA So let me make sure I have this correct...

Your saying that Global Warming is causing an increase in tornadoes by about 14 per year over a 50 year period, yet you are ignoring your own material. Even what you posted clearly states

the trend may have more to do with how tornadoes are tracked and reported rather than how many are actually forming.

So the increase may not have anything to do with "global warming" and may in fact have everything to do with how we track and report tornadoes, so there may not be any increase at all.

You just debunked yourself, nice job

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

So you don't realize what your words say what kind person you are ..

Your mind is like robotic wreck..

You don't have spirit, you are empty like mummy ..

I put information only to try understood, not to by smart like you EgoKity ..

Help your self man you need that, don't spend your time to spit on my threads ..

Brain is not so mach intelligent because is manipulated so try to find other source end you find all real answers if you are not so mach muddy ..

We have all in our self's, connect to your soul-spirit or universe end you see what is knowledge don't by EgoKity mind ..

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

If you want to be "smart like me" the first thing you might want to do is put together a coherent sentence. The majority of what you posted in reply to me makes little to no sense at all.

In addition to that, you might also want to attack the information not the poster. Your pointless attack at my character really does nothing but shows your actual argument has no merit. It can not stand on it's own, so instead you attack me personally rather than the information. Which is exactly what I pointed out to you, using the information you provided yourself.

Don't be mad at at me, be mad that you were suckered into believing nonsense and be mad at those who suckered you.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
So anyway back on topic water spouts are cool huh?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Yeah.. I'm waiting for someone to tell me if they think it's possible to survive a ride in one.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

It makes me feel bad that someone posts a wonderful video of a beautiful force of nature only to have someone come through and turn it into a political / environmental agenda argument.

Why can't we enjoy this natural phenomena that has been going on for all of recorded human history without trying to make it a soap box?

I know others participated but you started it. It took all my will to not respond and take your bait.

And a thank you to everyone who has posted their first hand experience and stories with these I found it very interesting!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Tornadoes in the US and in Austalia! What do all these tornadoes mean? Are they connected or independent events?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Theliesdestroyed

For anyone concerned about Tornadoes I would ask that you please go this fantastic little website:Tornado History Project They have all reported tornadoes in the US with dates and information including reported injuries, path width and length and Fujita scale ranking.

Looking over the data I am convinced there is nothing to worry about in the US where they cover.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

There is nothing to worry about. There are roughly 400+ tornadoes per yer in the central US known as Tornado Alley. The big news currently is Joplin Missouri, which just happens to be in Tornado Alley. Tornado season (The time of year in which tornadoes are most common to form) is from April to June, the spring and early summer months. Florida also has regular tornadoes which can form in the later winter early spring months. However, they can and have formed on almost any day of the year.

The reason why no one hears about many of the Tornadoes that form in Tornado Alley is that it is generally rural area. Many of them form over farm land. However, when they strike more populated areas they obviously cause much much more damage, as you would expect one to. Many of these are weaker tornadoes which measure an F-1 or F-2.

Waterspouts are generally tornadoes over water, however they are much much weaker. There is a debate over weather or not you can call them tornadoes. As I said in a previous post, if you were to measure a waterspout the same way you measure a tornado it would be an F-0 from a 0 to 5 scale with F-5 being the highest.

For the poster who wants to know if you can take a ride in a waterspout, the answer is no. They still can be very dangerous.
edit on 31-5-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Explain the danger please.

I'm saying a single person swimming into one with no boats or any other debris and a good distance from land.
I can't imagine it could really keep you aloft long if at all or lift you to a height that would be too dangerous to fall from (given you are falling into water).

I can't help but think it'd be survivable. Sure it could be dangerous, but so is driving a car. I can't see what would make it exceptionally dangerous.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

How about being spun around at 50 mph, becoming disoriented and drowning for starters?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Explain the danger please.

I'm saying a single person swimming into one with no boats or any other debris and a good distance from land.
I can't imagine it could really keep you aloft long if at all or lift you to a height that would be too dangerous to fall from (given you are falling into water).

I can't help but think it'd be survivable. Sure it could be dangerous, but so is driving a car. I can't see what would make it exceptionally dangerous.

Contrary to popular belief water isn't soft at 50 or 60 mph. You might not have 100% chance of fatality but I would put the risk as higher than something I would choose to do for fun. I imagine if you had some sort of special capsule with oxygen tanks and padding you might have a good enough survival chance to try it for fun.

For comparison most people, something like 1,180 of 1,200 have died jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. This is somewhere around 250 feet and you hit about 70mph on the ride down. I just looked this up last week and I can't recall the exact numbers but I know I'm close.

I agree if you could make it safe it would be a blast!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join