It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing waterspout 'tornado' caught on camera off Australia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
2:44PM BST 30 May 2011

"A waterspout appeared off the central coast of Australia's New South Wales on Monday causing a huge sprouting fountain in the middle of the ocean.
Waterspouts are formed when a high layer of cold air blows across a body of water, either the ocean, a lake or a river and clashes with the warm air below.
Inside the spout, winds can reach speeds of up to 62.1 miles an hour. They have also been known to pick up various sea-life and dump it on land.
A heavy storm across the coast, north of Sydney resulted in three additional waterspouts, according to local residents.
Like land tornadoes, waterspouts often appear in groups.
Dramatic footage filmed from a helicopter by Australia's Channel 7 shows a series of powerful waterspouts near the coastal suburb of Terrigal, on Australia's New South Wales coast. Several powerful columns of swirling air could be seen blasting along the water's surface near the coastline. Channel 7 claimed the spouts reached heights of up to 600 metres (nearly two thousand feet), but dissipated as they neared land. The natural wonders came as strong winds and heavy rain also lashed other parts of the state, causing flash flooding and traffic chaos in Sydney."

www.youtube.com...

edit on 30-5-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I' find some similar video from 2006, very powerful waterspout 'tornado'!!

Thank you rogerstigers to learn my how to put video correctly ..

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Thanks for that footage.
Nature is a wonderous thing and it never fails to amaze me with its beauty.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The waterfalls flowing backwards (up) at the end was amazing!!

Great footage.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Damn I love Oz

That right there ladies and gents is about as nasty as Mother nature gets in our beautiful country, no earthquakes, no volcanos, no cyclones (ummm ok maybe the very rare occasional one), no tsunamis, no floods or droughts or bushfires.......... hang on.......... actually now I think about it Mother nature is pretty pissed, on top of floods and droughts we have like 4 out of the top 5 deadliest everything in the animal kingdom and if your anywhere more than 50Km from a coastline your pretty screwed without survival gear. I wouldnt be surprised if that small harmless waterspout had just gone bat# crazy and destroyed half of Sydney!!!!!!!!!!

Feck it!!!!!!!!! its still the best place on earth

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Worst ever carbon emissions leave climate on the brink !!!

"Prospect of limiting the global increase in temperature to 2ºC is getting bleaker

30 May 2011
CO2 emissions reach a record high in 2010; 80% of projected 2020 emissions from the power sector are already locked in

Energy-related carbon-dioxide (CO2) emissions in 2010 were the highest in history, according to the latest estimates by the International Energy Agency (IEA).

After a dip in 2009 caused by the global financial crisis, emissions are estimated to have climbed to a record 30.6 Gigatonnes (Gt), a 5% jump from the previous record year in 2008, when levels reached 29.3 Gt.

In addition, the IEA has estimated that 80% of projected emissions from the power sector in 2020 are already locked in, as they will come from power plants that are currently in place or under construction today.

“This significant increase in CO2 emissions and the locking in of future emissions due to infrastructure investments represent a serious setback to our hopes of limiting the global rise in temperature to no more than 2ºC,” said Dr Fatih Birol, Chief Economist at the IEA who oversees the annual World Energy Outlook, the Agency’s flagship publication.

Global leaders agreed a target of limiting temperature increase to 2°C at the UN climate change talks in Cancun in 2010. For this goal to be achieved, the long-term concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere must be limited to around 450 parts per million of CO2-equivalent, only a 5% increase compared to an estimated 430 parts per million in 2000.

The IEA’s 2010 World Energy Outlook set out the 450 Scenario, an energy pathway consistent with achieving this goal, based on the emissions targets countries have agreed to reach by 2020. For this pathway to be achieved, global energy-related emissions in 2020 must not be greater than 32 Gt.This means that over the next ten years, emissions must rise less in total than they did between 2009 and 2010.

“Our latest estimates are another wake-up call,” said Dr Birol. “The world has edged incredibly close to the level of emissions that should not be reached until 2020 if the 2ºC target is to be attained. Given the shrinking room for manœuvre in 2020, unless bold and decisive decisions are made very soon, it will be extremely challenging to succeed in achieving this global goal agreed in Cancun.”

In terms of fuels, 44% of the estimated CO2 emissions in 2010 came from coal, 36% from oil, and 20% from natural gas.

The challenge of improving and maintaining quality of life for people in all countries while limiting CO2 emissions has never been greater. While the IEA estimates that 40% of global emissions came from OECD countries in 2010, these countries only accounted for 25% of emissions growth compared to 2009. Non-OECD countries – led by China and India – saw much stronger increases in emissions as their economic growth accelerated.

However, on a per capita basis, OECD countries collectively emitted 10 tonnes, compared with 5.8 tonnes for China, and 1.5 tonnes in India."
Source

Leaked report shows record carbon emissions
www.abc.net.au...
www.guardian.co.uk...
climateemergencynews.blogspot.com...

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
That was my Gyarados doing the attack "twister".

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Another waterspout also filmed yesturday north of Anglesey,UK.

www.bbc.co.uk...
Both waterspout videos in most watched on the bbc website today. The RAF crew who filmed it said he'd only ever seen 4 and two of those were yesterday.

They boggle my mind.

Maybe the spaceships are short on water?

edit on 30-5-2011 by LadyTrick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Natural beauty at its best. Awesome videos.
edit on 30-5-2011 by jovanoti because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
UFOs hiding in clouds stocking up on water for their next leg of their trip.
That would suck to be out their fishing when that rolled by.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Some cool videos. I've seen waterspouts up close many times in Florida and the Bahamas. Once one passed right between me and another boat one hundred yards apart.

I think they are much more of an electrical type phenomenon, like giant dust devils over water, and not as fierce as a regular tornado. I don't think it would carry the boat off to Oz but I don't want to find out the hard way.
edit on 30-5-2011 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Some cool videos. I've seen waterspouts up close many times in Florida and the Bahamas. Once one passed right between me and another boat one hundred yards apart.

I think they are much more of an electrical type phenomenon, like giant dust devils over water, and not as fierce as a regular tornado. I don't think it would carry the boat off to Oz but I don't want to find out the hard way.
edit on 30-5-2011 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

Some of my fisherman friends in Louisiana said you don't want to get caught under one of those things. I don't think they really carry your boat of but they drop tons of water into your boat. lol

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

That was my favorite part too. I've seen waterspouts, but I've never seen a waterfall falling upwards. I understand whats happening there, however, it's still amazing!

S&F from me, excellent footage.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

In high school I worked on a charter fishing boat out of Jacksonville, FL. We used to see bad weather almost every day in the summer and lots of waterspouts. The storms build up inland and then move offshore in the afternoon....the seabreeze hits just in time to lock them just offshore and it gets nasty. One afternoon we were coming back and ran right through a small waterspout.....the boat was 75ft so there's no danger but I remember standing in the wheelhouse and watching beer coolers and garbage cans lifting off the deck....amazing. It ripped the life rafts off the top deck and pitched the EPIRB off the roof of the wheelhouse. They found the life rafts a week later off of South Carolina and EPIRB was last broadcasting off of Hatteras.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Those are crazy! I have seen lots of them at the beach with binoculars, there were like six lined up out in the Gulf one day..it was cool looking. Nice vid.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dalke07
Worst ever carbon emissions leave climate on the brink !!!

"Prospect of limiting the global increase in temperature to 2ºC is getting bleaker

30 May 2011
CO2 emissions reach a record high in 2010; 80% of projected 2020 emissions from the power sector are already locked in

Energy-related carbon-dioxide (CO2) emissions in 2010 were the highest in history, according to the latest estimates by the International Energy Agency (IEA).

After a dip in 2009 caused by the global financial crisis, emissions are estimated to have climbed to a record 30.6 Gigatonnes (Gt), a 5% jump from the previous record year in 2008, when levels reached 29.3 Gt.

In addition, the IEA has estimated that 80% of projected emissions from the power sector in 2020 are already locked in, as they will come from power plants that are currently in place or under construction today.

“This significant increase in CO2 emissions and the locking in of future emissions due to infrastructure investments represent a serious setback to our hopes of limiting the global rise in temperature to no more than 2ºC,” said Dr Fatih Birol, Chief Economist at the IEA who oversees the annual World Energy Outlook, the Agency’s flagship publication.

Global leaders agreed a target of limiting temperature increase to 2°C at the UN climate change talks in Cancun in 2010. For this goal to be achieved, the long-term concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere must be limited to around 450 parts per million of CO2-equivalent, only a 5% increase compared to an estimated 430 parts per million in 2000.

The IEA’s 2010 World Energy Outlook set out the 450 Scenario, an energy pathway consistent with achieving this goal, based on the emissions targets countries have agreed to reach by 2020. For this pathway to be achieved, global energy-related emissions in 2020 must not be greater than 32 Gt.This means that over the next ten years, emissions must rise less in total than they did between 2009 and 2010.

“Our latest estimates are another wake-up call,” said Dr Birol. “The world has edged incredibly close to the level of emissions that should not be reached until 2020 if the 2ºC target is to be attained. Given the shrinking room for manœuvre in 2020, unless bold and decisive decisions are made very soon, it will be extremely challenging to succeed in achieving this global goal agreed in Cancun.”

In terms of fuels, 44% of the estimated CO2 emissions in 2010 came from coal, 36% from oil, and 20% from natural gas.

The challenge of improving and maintaining quality of life for people in all countries while limiting CO2 emissions has never been greater. While the IEA estimates that 40% of global emissions came from OECD countries in 2010, these countries only accounted for 25% of emissions growth compared to 2009. Non-OECD countries – led by China and India – saw much stronger increases in emissions as their economic growth accelerated.

However, on a per capita basis, OECD countries collectively emitted 10 tonnes, compared with 5.8 tonnes for China, and 1.5 tonnes in India."
Source

Leaked report shows record carbon emissions
www.abc.net.au...
www.guardian.co.uk...
climateemergencynews.blogspot.com...

YES !!! Lets get the CO2 out there! Lets bring it up into the atmosphere! Lets make the planet live!!!!! Let us show all them CO2 fascists what they realy are: Servants of the few, who want to kill us off in order to get the whole planet for them selfes! Comon Guys, produce CO2 as much as you can. Plant life, Animal life and Human life will be gratefull for it. The Planet will thank you for it!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
amazing yes!...i saw two identical ones in south italy 2009,sorry i didnt took pictures ..very beautiful to see

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

I really am scared for you dude, not to mention the poor brainwashed people who nodded in agreement at your post.

THERE IS NO GLOBAL WARMING CRISIS. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD.

Sorry for the theatrics. But the emphasis was real.

This video showed a really cool, natural phenomenon, that has been happening for many millennia, and will keep happening long after we're gone.
edit on 31-5-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Help your self dude end we all by very happy for you ..

Peace with you "dude"
edit on 31-5-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join