It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Like to Tap Your Brain?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You know some day they are going to invent a sort of iPod device that can be linked to the 300 to 1,000 words per minute that you speak to yourself (Navy SEAL Study) so if you ran a theory through your mind randomly that you really couldn't write down or record, such a device could retrieve the brain wave thoughts you said so you could!
edit on 29-5-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Just imagine what that would lead to. Thought crime, warrants for thought archives, jealous girlfriends snooping through their boyfriend's thoughts. Of course politicians would never have them.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I didn't realize that if I hit the return key that it would enter my post, I just wanted to get to the statement box. Anyway I was kind of fascinated watching a documentary about Navy SEAL training and all involved in creating the doctrine to train such men. And though I don't have a link, because it was a show and I guess could have access to the program on the channel, I cannot furnish either to aid such a search. It is just an incredible fact that sticks in one's head that we do as average people talk to ourselves at a rate of 300 to 1,000 words per minute.

I just ran a particular theory through my head (that I am not a party in the study of), that as soon as I reached a conclusion to which I immediately forgot, I lost all memory/recall even of the subject (probably trivial one might think). I just think such a (hypothetical) device I mention in my OP isn't beyond our technological abilities, and I as one would not be so hesitant to try such a device out for a while.

How about you?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CN1018

LOL!, that made me actually belly laugh. *slaps knee*

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
...and I as one would not be so hesitant to try such a device out for a while.

How about you?

I would probably be too curious NOT to try it. I am fascinated by the mind and I think a lot of progress could be made if it wasn't used 'against' people.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
In John Scalzi's Old Man’s War Series One of the features of the new bodies was described:

Never be unconnected again! You’ll never lose your BrainPal™ computer because it resides in your own brain. Our proprietary Assistive Adaptive Interface works with you so you can access your BrainPal™ your way. Your BrainPal™ also serves to coordinate nonorganic technologies in your new body, such as SmartBlood™. CDF servicepeople swear by this amazing piece of technology—and so will you.

His concept sounded good.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
that would be amazing. Im trying to look up something i saw/heard about. It was a device that would dictate what you would think by connecting to your larynx. But you wouldn't be talking just thinking. It looked pretty cool i'll try and find some information.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

I do not agree that such a device is not beyond our technological abilities. Far from it, really far from it. I consider what I read and it appears to me that the bulk of what is written about mankinds ability to understand the human brain is advanced theory based on data acquired through stimulation and reaction observation.

Even then it is primarily guesswork. I'm sure research does the best they can, and that they feel they have made huge strides in advancement of unraveling the mysteries of the gray matter. There is an incredible amount of books on the subject written by very well educated people. The same can be said for other subjects that are still mysteries to mankind. In an inverse proportion, it appears the less that is known factually about a given subject, the more books are written upon it. This speaks for itself.

Look at the field of mental illness. Electroshock therapy is still in use, as barbaric and primitive as it is. For given applications it is regarded as the best application. To rephrase: they don't have something better.

Further, there are not cures for mental illness. Therapy combined with the hard work of a willing & able patient teaches understanding and coping, but no cure. Medication serves as another form of bandage, some may dull, some soothe, but cure? No, they don't. And a good deal of medication utilized in mental illness applications came about as a result of "happy accidents", unintended discoveries realized by research technicians working on other projects. Happy accidents are a portion of many facets of science. And a great deal of science is based upon theories which may or may not later prove to be incorrect. Science texts are regularly updated, they have to be.

We've seen wonderful charts & graphs and read of what may be, but I feel we have a very long way to go.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
If you haven't seen it already, do a search on here for Brain Port.

top topics

join