It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Warnings in Ionosphere?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Earthquakes may be sounding an early warning system in the outer reaches of the Earth's atmosphere, says an international team of scientists.

For centuries people have reported seeing electrical flashes, strange lights, fogs and strange animal behavior before quakes strike, Freund said. If electrical fields generated in the ground before earthquakes are behind those phenomena, it's possible the same electrical fields are affecting the ionosphere, he explained.

dsc.discovery.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Duck and cover next time you see the Northern Lights!

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 07:59 PM
link   
nice name

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Very cool link WOS!

I have not seen this information before, but in retrospect it only makes sense. We have long known there to be some kind of link between HAARP transmissions in the upper ionosphere and seismic events. Logically, it would also work in reverse in order to detect the onset of naturally occurring earthquakes.

Here are a couple of links regarding electromagnetic influence on seismic events.

www.blazing-trails.com...

www.seizethemagic.com...

www.cuttingedge.org...

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I don't have any links, but I've read about 2-3 years ago how some geophysical phenomenae may have been mistaken for something else entirely...Perhaps such a link is possible.

What I'm referring to is a phenomenon that manifests as something similar to ball lighting seeming to fly along faults & possibly even geo-magnetic lines... Apparently caused by underground movement creating friction-based electrical fields (piezoelectric). I've heard of some cases where observers have mistaken these electrical discharges as UFO's.

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr.E
nice name

CURSES! I searched the member list and did not find the name! I was tired, I'll bow to your seniority and change it....Hmmm is there a ConfederateKid here? or Blazingmusket? (Civil War reenactor, not white supremicist)

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
What I'm referring to is a phenomenon that manifests as something similar to ball lighting seeming to fly along faults & possibly even geo-magnetic lines... Apparently caused by underground movement creating friction-based electrical fields (piezoelectric). I've heard of some cases where observers have mistaken these electrical discharges as UFO's. Posted by MidnightDStroyer

I know what you are talking about, although I dont off the top of my head know if there is a specific name for this activity. It could be explained as geo-seismic electromagnetism. Its properties are very similar to ball lightening from what I have read.

home.planet.nl...

Here is a link for a report of such an phenomena during a quake.

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I believe the phenomenon is called earth lights. There are several places on the earth where they are seen with regularity. They also have been known to display some unusual characteristics, such as following roads, going through walls etc... The Min Min lights are an example, and I am pretty sure the Marfa lights of Texas are another example.

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The Min Min lights are an example, and I am pretty sure the Marfa lights of Texas are another example. Posted by WilliamOneSac

Havent heard of the min min lights, so cant speak to that. However, the Marfa Lights are likely not related directly to seismic activity, as Marfa Texas is a largely seismically inactive region. Not that we have an explaination for them, but most people lean towards ball lightening.

new topics

top topics

join