It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draconian Anti-Piracy Censorship Bill Passes Senate Committee (PROTECT-IP Act)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

www.freerepublic.com

The controversial PROTECT IP Act unanimously passed the Senate Judiciary Committee today. When the PROTECT IP Act becomes law U.S. authorities and copyright holders will have the power to seize domains, block websites and censor search engines to prevent copyright infringements. Introduced just two weeks ago, the bill now heads over to the Senate for further consideration and another vote.

The U.S. Government continues to back legislation that opens the door to unprecedented Internet censorship.

Two weeks ago a group of U.S. senators proposed legislation to make it easier to crack down o
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
There seems to be a never ending attack on the freedoms and liberties of free speech here in this country.This latest act will give the government the right to shut down sites they deem hostile are opposed to the view of the government.

As well will there come a time when you can no longer visit sites like ATS not be able to post a link with out the 404 error message showing up.I posted a thread awhile back asking was MSNBC state run media now my question is will they all be state run media.

But I can surely bet you that Facebook and Google will come out unscathed by this latest attempt on our freedom of speech

www.freerepublic.com

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The anti-piracy thing is getting nuts, its just about taxes.. they gotta make money off of EVERYTHING.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ever run a bill that makes its so everything HAS to cost money.
Like if I write some software or spin some dub and decide to give it away for free for whatever reason, that would be illegal.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
well we're #ed
2nd line

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
According to this, Senator Wyden has placed a hold on the bill

Ron Wyden places hold on PROTECT-IP Act

Everybody take a step back and take a deep breath! It aint over yet

edit on 28-5-2011 by Nick_X because: spelling

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This is a bill to protect American companies so I don't see what your problem is with it. It's anti-piracy legislation the same which is applied to movies or any other type of copyright infringement currently on the books.

With the new technology like internet so big now Congress has to adapt with new laws. There is nothing in this law pertaining to sites like ATS.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012

www.freerepublic.com

The controversial PROTECT IP Act unanimously passed the Senate Judiciary Committee today. When the PROTECT IP Act becomes law U.S. authorities and copyright holders will have the power to seize domains, block websites and censor search engines to prevent copyright infringements. Introduced just two weeks ago, the bill now heads over to the Senate for further consideration and another vote.

The U.S. Government continues to back legislation that opens the door to unprecedented Internet censorship.

Two weeks ago a group of U.S. senators proposed legislation to make it easier to crack down o

Goodbye freedom on the internet, this will be the end of youtube
it looks like corporations have more power then the government.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
This is a bill to protect American companies so I don't see what your problem is with it. It's anti-piracy legislation the same which is applied to movies or any other type of copyright infringement currently on the books.

With the new technology like internet so big now Congress has to adapt with new laws. There is nothing in this law pertaining to sites like ATS.

This bill will end all free music, free movie watching, anime etc. and your saying theres nothing with this bill?? i guess you hate freedom the on net.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

This bill will end all free music, free movie watching, anime etc. and your saying theres nothing with this bill?? i guess you hate freedom the on net.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

www.freerepublic.com

What about freedom in the marketplace for people? You would actually prefer American companies to have their goods pirated so they make no money off of it? What in this bill leads you to believe they are going after your freedoms.

Do you agree that people should be allowed to get a leaked copy of a new album by an artist and put it on a site for everyone to download for free and then our government just clap their hands and say "hey thanks for the great music but you have no rights compared to the internet user."

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

Why is the bill titled PROTECT IP? The bill is aimed at NOT protecting IPs.
edit on 28-5-2011 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Piracy has become as American as apple pie now,and saying that this is being done to stop that is just foolish.Piracy on the net is so widespread that they'll never be able to stop it.The companies realize it,the gov't realizes it.

They're only using piracy as a pretext to bust any old site they want.Sorta like the whole "conspiracy theorists are all terrorists" kinda thing.They'll use the label of piracy to come in and force their will upon any site they please.

You can say that it's protecting the companies,but it's naive to think they will OR should stop piracy.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fishticon84
The anti-piracy thing is getting nuts, its just about taxes.. they gotta make money off of EVERYTHING.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ever run a bill that makes its so everything HAS to cost money.
Like if I write some software or spin some dub and decide to give it away for free for whatever reason, that would be illegal.

Yep, you are right, it is about TAXES. I think the Beatles said it best.....

Let me tell you how it will be;
There's one for you, nineteen for me.
'Cause I’m the taxman,
Yeah, I’m the taxman.
Should five per cent appear too small,
Be thankful I don't take it all.
'Cause I’m the taxman,
Yeah, I’m the taxman.
(if you drive a car, car
- I’ll tax the street;
(if you try to sit, sit
- I’ll tax your seat;
(if you get too cold, cold
- I’ll tax the heat;
(if you take a walk, walk
- I'll tax your feet.
Taxman!
'Cause I’m the taxman,
Yeah, I’m the taxman.
Don't ask me what I want it for,
(ah-ah, mister Wilson)
If you don't want to pay some more.
(ah-ah, mister heath) 'Cause I’m the taxman,
Yeah, I’m the taxman.
Now my advice for those who die, (taxman)
Declare the pennies on your eyes. (taxman)
'Cause I’m the taxman,
Yeah, I’m the taxman.
And you're working for no one but me.
Taxman!

Lennon/McCartney

If they could figure out a way to meter air, they would tax that too. This is why I support Ron Paul. Ron Paul would pout an end to these Draconian taxes, the little hidden taxes you never see, or even think about. Allow me to illustrate:
A farmer wants to plant carrots on his land. Well, it is not his land, he only "owns" the Real Estate, that is what is on the land. He actually rents the land from the government, who owns it by proxy. He pays property tax.

On the Hidden taxes, there is a Federal tax, and a State tax. Remember that.

So the farmer buys seed, and fertilizer, and herbicides, and he pays tax on all of these. He hauls this home in a truck. Now this farmer paid cash money for the truck, but again, he does not really own the truck, he rents it from the government, he pays Excise tax when he buys it, Road Use tax when he buys a license plate, and yes, there is a tax on his driver's license too. He stops to buy gas for the truck, and again, pays a tax. Same with is farming equipment, tax, tax, and more tax. Then harvest time come, and a semi comes to get the carrots grown by the good farmer. Again, tax, tax and more tax. On the semi, the plates, the licensing, the fuel tax. So the semi hauls the carrots to the grocery store. There it is unloaded by employees who pay taxes on their income, on their cars, gas, homes, heating oil, and water. So now the carrots are on the shelf of the store, who also pays tax, tax, and more tax, just to stay in business. So now a carrot that costs $0.15 to grow costs you the consumer $0.80. And it is all caused by TAX. This is why all of our manufacturing factories that used to employee us and pay us a good wage went overseas, to avoid the tax.

I personally believe a Consumer Tax is what America really needs, pay as you go. But that's just me, after all.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

www.freerepublic.com

What about freedom in the marketplace for people? You would actually prefer American companies to have their goods pirated so they make no money off of it? What in this bill leads you to believe they are going after your freedoms.

Do you agree that people should be allowed to get a leaked copy of a new album by an artist and put it on a site for everyone to download for free and then our government just clap their hands and say "hey thanks for the great music but you have no rights compared to the internet user."

Excuse me but those ugly rich heads companies will always find ways to make money, since they are along side with the corporations.

What in this bill leads you to believe they are going after your freedoms.

The end of free viewing, everything will be paid! we the people dont have the money, nor jobs, the internet should stay free.

Do you agree that people should be allowed to get a leaked copy of a new album by an artist and put it on a site for everyone to download for free and then our government just clap their hands and say "hey thanks for the great music but you have no rights compared to the internet user.

Sounds like your with the corporations, the internet user has every right to upload and download any music the user wants to listen for free, as for the music industry.

We are still in a finical crisis, the finical crisis is responsible for the music industry and movie industry loss of wealth but as always they blame the users for there own reasons.
edit on 28-5-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Isn't the Dept. of Homeland Security (ICE) already doing this???? I've come across several sites seized by them.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I think you just made up the phrase "freedom in the marketplace" to lend credence to your argument. See, to propose that you can INCREASE freedom by purring in a law that actually restricts freedom is typical political doublespeak. It is the kind of crap that Nancy Pelosi was famous for.

You can NEVER increase freedom by restricting freedom. It is Counterintuitive 101.

What should be expected here is not for Congress to adapt, but for the media corporations to adapt. It is their property, therefore it is their job to protect it. They should not be allowed to seize a proxy security detail from the taxpayers. That is an expense that they should bear. Congress is committing us to a law and a cost that is not just, nor is it ours to bear.

If they want to protect their property, then protect their property. But in so doing, don't tread on me.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

Just another way for them to introduce the Fairness Act into the mainstream.

I can imagine me typing in a rant about lack of freedoms and having some bean-counter in DC claim that I'm infringing on an already published rant and having either me silenced or having the site I post on silenced.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Artists make the most money off of touring, not CD sales...

Besides, speaking as an amateur, aspiring musician/songwriter, I would much rather prefer to have as many people hear my music then just those with the pennies to spare...

Anyways, back to the thread. One can only wonder what other laws might spring forth from this...

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

thats correct. thats why alot of unknown bands in eupore now are touring to make themselves known to the public, whats nice about touring, you can always get a free cd album from the band while on touring, case these special cd albums always include free extra songs.

If you just buy it from the stores you will only get edited soundtrack and album from the publishers.

Band+Tours+Free extra songs in albums=Seeing your band in a tour, not only helps them, but you get nice rewards in return

From Publishers-Edited tracks-Expanses $$ Albums-No extras, extras only when you pre order-

This why Publishers are getting angry beacuse they are losing money,artists wont lose money but the publishers can loss because of bad business practices on the customers, and dont forget they always finger point the customers for stealing the artists works, which in case thats not true.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
What should be expected here is not for Congress to adapt, but for the media corporations to adapt. It is their property, therefore it is their job to protect it. They should not be allowed to seize a proxy security detail from the taxpayers. That is an expense that they should bear. Congress is committing us to a law and a cost that is not just, nor is it ours to bear.

If they want to protect their property, then protect their property. But in so doing, don't tread on me.

But look who's lobbying to get measures like this underway. MPAA and RIAA are obviously very big, very powerful and very influential. They will convince those in authority of what needs to happen whether its wrong or not doesn't really matter given how much money is on the line.

I do agree that if its their property then protect it, however, technology is not something they completely control hence the abuse and the proposed stiff sentences & fines.

All that will happen here is that technology will subvert these government attempts and better methods of pirating will surface. In the end hollywood will continue to rake in billions, pirating will advance and bills such as these will go by way of the dinosaur.

brill

<<   2  3 >>

join