It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NASA footage gets a little spacey

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I think this comment from the article has it right:

Odds are the camera wasn't picking up sounds in airless space, so much as the microphone was picking up vibrations transmitted through the materials it was mounted to. It was the solid materials that were creating and transmitting the 'noise' not air.

Rather like when you go to the dentist to have a filling, and the drill vibrations are transmitted through your jaw to your ear.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Slayer69 is accurate, by 16.00 there is a change in sound due to the now hollow tank. The eerie sounds must factor in the following: the debri is increasing in speed as it plummets to earth, the external temperature of the tank as well as the friction/speed altering the temperature of the tank, and that the tank is rotating. I have heard similar moaning of metal in large building fires. This moaning begins when the temperature approaches 1800 degrees f and the metal structure is 'stressing'. (the indication that it is beginning to fail). The moaning in structure fires is much longer in dureation than in this video. Nice video. We do not fully appreciate how complicated these missions are. Thank you for posting.
edit on 05/25/2011 by biteme because: typo in the word moaning

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
this is amazing. i've never seen the Earth like this before. a new perspective gained. i notice each of these boosters craps out a bunch of debris when the chutes deploy, which unless i'm naive, i cant imagine would be collected. could that stuff wind up on the beach somewhere or in a fisherman's net? neat treasure if you knew what it was. would it be radioactive/dangerous/illegal to have?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
so a microphone falling through the atmosphere is going to make all sorts of noise, it's all normal audio feedback... This is nothing special i could make the same noise in sound forge... Still awesome footage though, stuff falls back to earth fast!

oh and i don't think the rocket parts made it into space so there was no vaccum yet. Thin atmosphere yeh but i'm not sure if they make into space, just right before it.
edit on 5/29/2011 by Brainiac because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
www.youtube.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.youtube.com...Nothing to get excited about really, stunning footage though

I found this footage from another angle, same fuel tank though, very interesting indeed, here take a look.

By the way, im new to the board/forum, so be gentle, i've been a lurker for month's now, and decided to join up and join in.....

pleased to meet you

edit on 29-5-2011 by TheDubbster because: no reason, just stupid

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDubbster

Sorry for the messed up post, bit of a novice at the link thing, hope it works.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

I think it is inside - notice the title of that segment is "SRB Left Intertank" and at the very when it's settling in to the ocean it appears to be looking through a porthole. Also, the SRB's are jettisoned at an altitude of 29 miles where there is atmosphere.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I would assume that the sound heard is from the booster re-entering the atmosphere. Which would explain why there was no sound until later in the vid, it would also explain the trail coming from the other booster. 2 pennies

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Maybe it's because they are traveling at 17,000 mph and that is what it sounds like when you move that fast in space....in the emptyness in space with no other noises. kind of creepy.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

Maybe it's because they are traveling at 17,000 mph and that is what it sounds like when you move that fast in space....in the emptyness in space with no other noises. kind of creepy.

The SRB's are jettisoned at an altitude of 29 miles when the shuttle is travelling at about 3000 mph. The sounds are air rushing in and around the SRB.

Source

edit on 29-5-2011 by Gastrok because: added source

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Watching it in 720p it really looks like CGI.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Separation!

SRB parachute camera inspection, SRB forward skirt.

Location of the parachute forward camera.

More on the cameras here.

Wish we had the footage from the ET observation camera, it gets closer to space.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
A bit more on the SRB cameras here.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
such a great piece of footage!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gastrok
reply to post by XmikaX

I think it is inside - notice the title of that segment is "SRB Left Intertank" and at the very when it's settling in to the ocean it appears to be looking through a porthole. Also, the SRB's are jettisoned at an altitude of 29 miles where there is atmosphere.

Yeah, you know they would want to be able to calculate exactly where the boosters and fuel tank will fall, if they entered into orbit for even a small amount of time, that would cause a problem i'm sure.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

I like this video for 1 main reason, it's completely simple and clean. No wild ridiculous speculation, no alien theories, no "God" theories or other trash...

Just good old real clean "realistic" video footage... This is what happens in the "real" world every day, no Aliens blasting across the sky, no sea monsters jumping up and swallowing the shuttle parts, just quiet clean reality...

I love it.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

What about the main ET (External fuel Tank)? Like I said I would love to watch the film from its main observation camera, that would really be a trip!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reminds me of Joe Kitinger who jumped from 100,000 feet in 1960.
Space begins at 63,000 feet for man, because you die very quickly above that.
He fell to Earth at the speed of sound but had no sensation of his speed at first.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Awesome post, S&F, but no mysteries here. That sound was the air in the upper atmosphere whistling through the booster rocket which is now empty, and thus a hollow tube. It even sounds like when you blow over the mouth of a glass bottle. As the atmosphere gets thicker the sound gets much louder and the spinning more violent.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by conar

I remember that and it's totally fascinating, it fascinates me he attained that altitude with a lighter than air balloon as well, it's just an incredible story! It's well worth anyone's time to research that event how ever they can.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join