It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is Outrageous! Women Forced to Wear Skirts for "The Bottom Line"...In PRO SPORTS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Nosred
Yeah but you can find anything like that on the internet. If I searched "Electric guitar in the shower nude" I'd probably get thousands of results.

Yeah, but try searching for female tennis players' ''upskirt shots'' compared to male tennis players' ''upshort shots'', and I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

The fact of the matter is that women's tennis is only ''big'' due to the sex appeal of some of the players.

Why do so many people want to blatantly deny this obvious fact ?!

Yes, it is obvious. Again, regarding badmitton, I seriously doubt the sport is suddenly on ESPN when they go to pasties and g-strings. They could be naked and there would be a few "fail" compilations on youtube...regarding the comparison of mens' and womens' sports, I am of the hope that most people play sports because they are fun and competitive. I do not watch the WNBA, womens' soccer, volleyball, etc...I DO watch sometimes during the Olympics or World Cup - because it is great to see competition. You may say it is inferior, and in many regards it is...but in effort and determination, it is all the same. That said, why does't the WNBA wear tube tops and bikini bottoms?

CJ

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Badminton is a hugely popular sport in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, China and some other parts of Asia.

A couple of centuries ago, people in my country invented the sport as a way of playing indoor tennis without the need to worry about breaking windows, furniture and vases
. Over the years, though, it has developed into a very big worldwide sport, which has been fervently adopted as one of, if not, the most popular sport in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.

Badminton appearing on one of your cable or satellite networks is not the result of some producer deciding to put a ''wacky'' minority sport on TV to show the US viewers.

Indonesia, with 240 million people, is the fourth most populous country in the world, after India, China and the USA. Malaysia ( 25m ) and Singapore ( 7m ) are economically advanced countries that also have great $$$ opportunities in televising badminton.

Add to this, the fact that the sport is reasonably popular in China and India, but the arrogant American attitude is still to assume that a minority sport in your country equates to that sport being ''small-time'' in the rest of the world.

Sorry, that's just not the case.

Badminton sponsoring is big-business in populous parts of South-East Asia and South Asia.

edit on 2-6-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
But then they would be bad badmitton players and the market for it is kind of tenuous...

They are already bad badminton players, hence why they have to play in a 6th-rate competition which is a million miles away from the top-quality version of their sport.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FatedAxion
Men's sports are all about raw masculinity and testosterone fueled chest-beating for the most part.

Utter nonsense.

Men's sports ( or should I more accurately say: ''sports'' ) are about two athletes/teams playing against each other in an even and enthralling contest, hopefully a bit of a humdinger. The winner is congratulated, but all of the participants play their part in a decent contest.

''Raw masculinity and testosterone'' doesn't exactly describe Lionel Messi, who is probably the most revered, celebrated and marketed footballer in the world.

Have a word with yourself.

Women's sports generally take a more subtle taste to appreciate.

Damn right.

I don't appreciate the fact that I can run a time in the 100 metres that leaves me 1/10th of a second outside the women's semi-finals in major championships, yet I've got no chance of competing at the Olympics or World Championships because, genetically, I've got something swinging between my legs.

As for women's sports being inferior versions of the men's sports, I'll take women's tennis, golf, or soccer over men's any day. Those type of sports just aren't as conducive to raw masculinity as, say, American football or hockey, and it shows.

Right, so you'd rather watch Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova or Caroline Wozniacki blast the ball over the net, back and forth - ad nauseum, rather than watching the likes of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and, dare I say it, Murray, play tennis with a bit of intelligence, craft and guile.

Women's tennis is just two ball-bashers who are little more than well trained robots, and people - especially the PC variety who want to twist, bend and warp reality - really need to take time to consider this...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Badminton is a hugely popular sport in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, China and some other parts of Asia.

A couple of centuries ago, people in my country invented the sport as a way of playing indoor tennis without the need to worry about breaking windows, furniture and vases
. Over the years, though, it has developed into a very big worldwide sport, which has been fervently adopted as one of, if not, the most popular sport in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.

Badminton appearing on one of your cable or satellite networks is not the result of some producer deciding to put a ''wacky'' minority sport on TV to show the US viewers.

Indonesia, with 240 million people, is the fourth most populous country in the world, after India, China and the USA. Malaysia ( 25m ) and Singapore ( 7m ) are economically advanced countries that also have great $$$ opportunities in televising badminton.

Add to this, the fact that the sport is reasonably popular in China and India, but the arrogant American attitude is still to assume that a minority sport in your country equates to that sport being ''small-time'' in the rest of the world.

Sorry, that's just not the case.

Badminton sponsoring is big-business in populous parts of South-East Asia and South Asia.

Sherlock, I understand where you are coming from. I have agreed with most of what you have said. I even had some tounge-in-cheek when presenting the OP. I think badminton rocks. I love the way you can hit the bejeezus out of the shuttlecock and it is still in play. I loved playing it as I grew up and we have a net etc for my kids...I always thought my highschool partner Deon Groth (aka longtallsally) and I could compete...but seriously.
Let's talk about your comment.

First of all, no matter how you spin it, the top badminton players (even in the billions of potential viewers as you put it), is no where close to the top world sports. Considering the best player in maybe the history of the sport makes about $370,000. US a year, I would say you have a way to go. Ping pong kicks your as*. See, these sports are big in the US as "hobbies". When the Baseball team the Yankee is worth over $1Billion, Man U is the same, etc, you can see your badminton mentioned in the same breath as world record diving. It is not a factor. Lawn darts rocks. So what? Darts has a larger internation audience than Badinton. I personally like the sport. As a pro spectator sport I may as well go with squash or handball. Big in the US, but because they are boring to watch, they will never be big...because MAN or WOMAN, no matter how FUN to play, it does not offer the viewer experience of other sports, IMHO.

The Best Badminton Player ever?

Lee Chong Wei has already achieved an annual income that exceeded RM1 million. When asked what he'd do with all the wealth in the world, he answered, "I'd go crazy (laughs). I wouldn't know what to do with all that money. To me, health is much more important than money or power."

Ok. $370k for being a deity isn't bad.

See, your insult about arrogant americans is absurd. Unfortunately, whether you want to admit it or not, if your sport is to get big, it will be broadcast on ESPN - which is a global company btw. Cricket may be the one exception where stars make big dough - tell me net ball "tipaksakraw" while totally cool, is not limited in its design?
Lastly, you continue to list your times for the 100 and that you can beat most pro women etc. etc. Has any one ever said to you - BS? It's evidentiary Watson? Here is to the fact that a woman could kick your ass at wrestling. Would you cry and go look at tennis under skirt videos?

CJ

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join