It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Unveil Most Complete 3-D Map of Local Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

The 2MASS Redshift Survey (2MRS) has catalogued more than 43,000 galaxies within 380 million light-years from Earth (z

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
it sure is a good time to be alive to sit here on this machine and look at a 3d map of the local universe .

We are nothing in that vast amount of space lol . and thats only the local ! such sheer size . such mammoth structures . the shock and awe of it all is mind blowing . Look at us silly earthlinks the things we worry about in this world under the lower atmosphere ... we got much to learn , conquer and evolve . Its alot of space out there but why....

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

And think about it; to be honest, when it comes to mapping the local universe, we're still infants drawing stick figures! Our technology continues to advance exponentially, so just imagine what 100 years would be showing us.

I think then would be a good time... we're still learning how to fly, by comparison to when the best time would be.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

Dear highfreq

Yes interesting I have watched a few documentaries dealing with this.

However none have explained how this is of any use.

In that we are talking the furthest away being 380 million L/Y’s.

That means the light we receive from these stars is 380 million L/Y’s old, meaning they where there then but we can not possible know what has happened or where they are now??????

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

You bring up a good point. Some of those cellestial bodies could very well not even be there right now. So in some ways we are mapping the universe of the past.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I don't understand, where's the 3D data at? Is it simply referring to a very localized distance measurement? I don't see the 3D.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
@ MAC269.. Pretty basic physics, can plot out where things have been and where they are going.

new topics

top topics

join