It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible Question?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I have a question about the near beginning of the bible. Cain and able the two brothers one killed the other and then god banished him. Then it said he married some woman and had children of his own. I saw no mention of another child let alone a girl. It only said there were two brothers that was it. So where did this woman come from?
edit on 27-5-2011 by Sorayugiman because: pressed enter

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sorayugiman

Great question. Tough one though. I'll leave it to the experts

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Sorry I couldn't resist. Don't worry I have posted threads with no text a couple of times! Rather embarrassing.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Cain's wife was his sister, just as Eve was the sister to Adam. Just as Abraham married his 1/2 sister. But didnt you ever wonder what was the Lie that Able told Cain that made him raise up and kill him?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
its because women were never mentioned in geneologies in those days and for thousands of years after that. Read the book of numbers. I personally believe they had a bunch of little girls that just were never mentioned because that was their customs.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

It may sound gross, but it was indeed his sister. It doesn't state they had sisters when it first mentions Cain and Abel, but that's because they only mentioned them because they were the -first- of the -first- generation of children, eldest if you will.

It's kind of an assumption that Adam had at least another child in the 130 years mentioned before he had Seth, otherwise it wouldn't make too much sense.

Although some may say, would this be against God's law, to inter-marry? But you gotta remember, that specific law that forbade intermarriage between siblings didn't arrive until God gave the law to Moses, many centuries later.

Also, biologically speaking, because this was still the first generation of children, it was unlikely they would contain any genetic errors, so it wasn't likely they would produce deformities in their offspring (unlike in today's world).

Hope this helps, sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I'm really tired and may not be explaining thoroughly enough.
edit on 27-5-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
She must of been one of the other racial groups that were around before and Adam and Eve...........yes,Adam and Eve were not the first which the Bible clearly states.

link   
I've asked myself a lot of those questions when I was younger, and believe me, there are no real answers. The more you read the bible, the more you'll be asking questions. It may be because of oral traditions given to the next generation, translation problem, or just stories with holes. That's my 2 cents ;o)

link   

Originally posted by 1MrsJesusChrist
Cain's wife was his sister, just as Eve was the sister to Adam. Just as Abraham married his 1/2 sister. But didnt you ever wonder what was the Lie that Able told Cain that made him raise up and kill him?

Lie? Able was righteous. Cain killed able out of jelousy because God accepted able's sacrifice and not cain's. Able sacrficed an animal which was the way God showed them and Able brought the first fruits of his labors. The reason for that was because a sacrifice had to be made and blood had to be shed to make atonement for your sins and Cain tried to justify and pay for it with his works.
edit on 27-5-2011 by Keeper of Kheb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I will start this with I am a firm believer in Jesus Christ. The King James version of the Holy Bible is not the complete series of New Testament books. Only those that the "church" deems is necessary were published.I have not read all the unpublished books of the Bible. The Apocalypse of Peter, once in consideration for publishing as the Book of Revelations, adds quite a bit to what the Gospel is to me. You can find them online. Not all are considered authentic, but I figured I couldn't go wrong with finding the books of the Apostles. That being said,to the subject of the question.
I asked this question long ago. I cant remember where but, it led 1 to conclude that there were people in "fishing villages" that were present.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Thanks that makes more sense

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
She must of been one of the other racial groups that were around before and Adam and Eve...........yes,Adam and Eve were not the first which the Bible clearly states.

Fascinating! Can you elaborate on this? Do you speak of the nephyl? I would be interested in reading more about it

edit on 27-5-2011 by Konstantinos because: ch-ch-chang-chang!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Here the truth of it:

No one knows for sure.

Anyone who says anything different is just making up the answer. When faced with an apparent inconsistency some try to complete the story without proof using flawed logic. The pat answer is that Cain married his sister, but that is just made-up BS. Eve is not the Sister of Adam, she is a clone of Adam, created from Adams Rib.

The Bible itself does not give the answer.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

The verse that always made me wonder was where God put a mark on Cain so that whoever he ran into when he was banished would not hurt him or something like that. If Adam/Eve and their offspring were the first people then who could he possibly encounter in a distant land?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The traditional answer is that Cain married his sister, and he is the ONLY person in the Old Testament who was given permission to marry his sister. It is said that Cain and Abel were each born with a female twin. Cain gave a sacrifice of flax, one of the lowliest of plants, and Abel gave the finest sheep of his flock. A fire came down and consumed Abel's gift. Cain incensed at his rejection told Abel, fine, lets divide the world between us. I will take the Earth and you will have the sky(heaven), then after trying different things to kill him he shed his brothers blood, not exactly knowing the reprocussions. It is also an allegory of early humanity's struggle early on when we moved from hunter gatherers to farming and livestock domestication. The farmers grew crops, quite unsuccessfully at first, and the herders, just had to well herd. The livestock would invariably eat the crops, and fights would ensue. Well thats the gist of it, if you believe it.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sorayugiman
I have a question about the near beginning of the bible. Cain and able the two brothers one killed the other and then god banished him. Then it said he married some woman and had children of his own. I saw no mention of another child let alone a girl. It only said there were two brothers that was it. So where did this woman come from?

They were still daughters of Adam, if you look throughout the OT it doesn't mention the women children because birthrights were passed through the male children. Unless the woman was a very prominent person, they weren't mentioned through the lineages.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

The traditional answer is that Cain married his sister, and he is the ONLY person in the Old Testament who was given permission to marry his sister.

Not true, the commandment against the practice wasn't given until Exodus some 2,000+ years after Adam.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Yes true, although the formal prohibition of cohabitation with ones sister was formally given to the israelites at Sinai, the midrash (expounding of the OT) states that Adam and invariably his childen were bound by certain laws. Adam and his childern was forbidden from eating meat(until Noah came along). Cain was forbidden from settling in one place by G-d(he founded cities and settlements anyway) And not marrying one's sister is a natural law, uncommon in most mammalian species, (unless they are lonesome).

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

That is tradition, and that's fine. But what I took exception to was the claim that Cain was the only one given permission to do so in the OT. In fact, in the OT nothing is mentioned on the subject until I believe the Book of Leviticus.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The Bible does not say it was out of Jealousy, only that Cain and Able talked and then Cain slew him. I tend to think it was out of pure sibling rivalary and I think Able told Cain that God liked him better because he was younger and Light like his mother. But again that is my belief.

reply to post by Keeper of Kheb

edit on 27-5-2011 by 1MrsJesusChrist because: correct spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join