It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible Question?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

reply to post by 1MrsJesusChrist

The Bible does not say it was out of Jealousy, only that Cain and Able talked and then Cain slew him. I tend to think it was out of pure sibling rivalary and I think Able told Cain that God liked him better because he was younger and Light like his mother. But again that is my belief.

Cain knew immediately that his sacrifice wasn't accepted and Abel's was. In the OT times God's "approval" came in the manner of fire from heaven descending down and consuming the sacrifice.

edit on 27-5-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

As being discussed in the thread, there's debate on this, but it's simple enough to imagine that it would be his relatives - who might also, understandably enough, be pissed with his killing of another relative with such a supposedly limited population.

And, given that people were living for multiple hundreds of years according to the accounts, and humans reach sexual maturity in about 14 or so, and can reproduce about once a year...well, it's not an insurmountable point.

Take care.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Keeper of Kheb

There is also another (fairly heretical, but entirely possible, view here).

For any who haven't heard of the Book of Nod...mainly in the lines of the vampire mythos if I understand correctly - but does have some few interesting extra-biblical but accurate points (by no means necessarily including this one)...written from the perspective of Cain:

I dream of the first times the longest memory I speak of the first times the oldest Father I sing of the first times and the dawn of darkness In Nod, where the light of Paradise lit up the night sky and the tears of our parents wet the ground. Each of us, in our way, set about to live and take our sustenance from the land. And I, first born Caine, I, with sharp things, planted the dark seeds wet them in the eart tended them, watched them grow. And Abel, second-born Abel tended the animals aided their bloody births fed them, watched them grow. I loved him, my Brother. He was the bightest. The sweetest. The strongest. He was the first part of all my joy.

Then one day our Father said to us, Caine, Abel to Him Above you must make a sacrifice - a gift of the first part of all that you have. And I, first-born Caine, I gathered the tender shoots the brightest fruits the sweetest grass. And Abel, second-born, Abel slaughtered the youngest, the strongest, the sweetest of his animals. On the alter of our Father we laid our sacrifices and lit fire under them and watched the smoke carry them up to the One Above. The sacrifice of Abel, second-born smelled sweet to the One Above and Abel was blessed. And I, first-born Caine, I was struck from beyond by a harsh word and a curse, for my sacrifice was unworthy.

I looked at Abel's sacrifice, still smoking, the flesh, the blood. I cried, I held my eyes I prayed in night and day. And when Father said the time for Sacrifice has come again And Abel led his youngest, his sweetest, his most beloved to the sacrificial fire I did not bring my youngest, my sweetest, for I knew the One Above would not want them. And my brother, beloved Abel said to me "Caine, you did not bring a sacrifice, a gift of the first part of your joy, to burn on the alter of the One Above."

I cried tears of love as I, with sharp things, sacrificed that which was the first part of my joy, my brother.

And the Blood of Abel covered the alter and smelled sweet as it burned. But my Father said "Cursed are you, Caine, who killed your bother. As I was cast out so shall you be.

And He exiled me to wander in Darkness, the land of Nod. I flew into the Darkness I saw no source of light and I was afraid. And alone.

I'm by no means calling it true, just interesting and a fresh perspective.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join