It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What primitive weapon would you take when SHTF

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

You didn't read what Daddy said, some of us actually are fairly well set.
And we will not be practicing everyday if at all.
Plus 1 shot you can pin a direction but hardly an area.
By that time you are home at the cave cooking squirrel.
Plus a 22 lr would be my primary small game gun and those don't carry far at all.
Say if someone had 10,000 rounds.
That and a good discipline could at around 50% accuracy could feed you for 15 years.
If i were serious I would do the math and plan for ten times that.
Maybe I have!

Plus 22 is just fun.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Star for an excellent response mate, thank you.

I can see that those who can use one shot to bring home dinner will be in a better position that those who can't.

Also.. got a great giggle from your signature..

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
A hammer would be my favorite tool. You can crack open nuts, pull apart lumber, smash windows, break in
through locked places, beat off mean dogs and cyotes. Knives and fishing hooks too.
edit on 27-5-2011 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

A signature should mirror our true feelings!
And thank you.

On topic I would assume for a shtf weapon the OP would be looking at the food gathering angle as I personally would not assail a possibly armed force with a sharpened stick, plus even if not, nobody wins a knife fight.
So for food gathering if the shtf and I had to bugout and somehow I roll snakeyes on all of my preps I would trap game.
It is hard enough hunting with a rifle as some animals are not dumb.
And although we all would love to be world class trackers I know I am not.
I would prefer the lie in wait approach.
Go out everyday and check your traps and hope nobody is scouting you I guess.
I just cannot see myself at any age running through the forest with a sharpened stick trying to skewer a squirrel, it ain't gonna happen.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Another excellent offering.

I've often thought that to feed ourselves in a SHTF scenario we will need to trap, hunt and grow what we can to subsidise the bush tucker available in the area. Not easy at all really, especially if we aren't spending most of our time already out in the bush learning how to live.. and I am getting too old for that these days

Just going bush for a weekend is enough to show me how hard it is going to be when the time comes. Moving silently in dense bush is near-on impossible and so movements alert everything with ears to hear, a slight change in wind direction can easily put an end to the tracking process which means you starve that night unless your traps worked.

Thanks again for some clear observations.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ca60a3a40430.jpg[/atsimg]Katana.

And a nice composite bow.

edit on 27/5/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Tomahawk...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Handfull of fecal matter. Noone wants to get hit with fecal matter.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
if it ever gets bad enough that i think im going to need a 'weapon' ill just take yours. Seriously. if it ever gets that bad therell be plenty of plunder layin around and all that would matter is how you use it. if it gets that bad all ill be thinking about is continuing the species if you get what im sayin.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
if it came down to it, poison. there's so many types in so many forms and no one is expecting it.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Sling, I think.

I got pretty good as a kid with one.
Made them out of the chinstraps from football helmets..Just added length by adding small ropes.

Plus, the game around here is small, and there are plenty of pebbles.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PURPLEMAN

How do you poison someone in a tank? Or a bradley fighting vehicle? Even in a wilderness situation..i only know of a few poison methods to secure food and they are seasonal and sketchy at best. one is crushed outer hull of unripened walnut in a moving stream, supposed to render the fish unconcious for harvest in that area, you contain the crushed hulls in your shirt or something and let the 'poison' seep into the water and itll knock em smooth out

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

for primitive I'd like a nice set of num chaku (sp?) pronounced: 'numb chucks'. perhaps there are users who can hunt with them, i don't know. for self defense purposes against a man or small group you can put on an intimidating little show with those things, making others think twice before coming closer.

i have a sling shot in my BOB. have to learn its use, but the warning from A Christmas Story comes to mind: "you'll put your eye out!"

a sturdy, tall, well chosen hiking staff is excellent for keeping man & beast at bay. best of all it my be had for free and takes little time to make ready.

not sure about primitive, but a well weighted athletic sock can deliver a stunning blow up close and may be sent flying at speed David & Goliath style.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
Handfull of fecal matter. Noone wants to get hit with fecal matter.

Now that is great.lol

Oh he's got the poo. Head for the hills. We surrender.

Star for you.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Luckily I've spent the last 5 years or so learning how to be a ninja.

I'll bring my limbs into the SHTF

www.youtube.com...

(limbs in actions)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I would use a gun...if I ran out of ammo then, its a club/ or a throwing stick...

Hey I could use rubber bands and coconut shells

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I would most likely have a katana and a recurve bow. Thinking about this makes me want to play some Diablo haha

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Tayesin

You didn't read what Daddy said, some of us actually are fairly well set.
And we will not be practicing everyday if at all.
Plus 1 shot you can pin a direction but hardly an area.
By that time you are home at the cave cooking squirrel.
Plus a 22 lr would be my primary small game gun and those don't carry far at all.
Say if someone had 10,000 rounds.
That and a good discipline could at around 50% accuracy could feed you for 15 years.
If i were serious I would do the math and plan for ten times that.
Maybe I have!

Plus 22 is just fun.

you could also have to fight your way out of a valley or protect whats yours or even your loved ones...if thats the case, in a fire fight, you could easily shoot a few hundred rounds off rather quickly, if your in the heat of battle...plus a 22 doesn't have much stopping power...so 10,000 rounds with a 22 won't last long...oh and if its the only gun you have...better hope you have extra parts and it don't jam or break.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I would take a katana and make a recurve bow. I like the idea of being silent. Oh and just wanted to add because I bet none of you have tried this but I actually ended up in a situation where I had to kill a raccoon in a garage...we tried a few things one of which was a nice slingshot with a lead ball bearing. I scored a direct hit in the face and didn't even phase it so those who think they're gonna hunt with this your sorely mistaken.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I'd carry around a battle axe.

Just because it would look badass.

Also a crossbow.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join