It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide squad: 180 pensioners prepare to risk their lives in Fukushima clean up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Another hero story emerging from Japan.Old ones will give their health and lives for younger ones.After so called "Fukushima 50 " entered the history ..this 180 pensioners will write another remarkable story in history of humankind.

Dozens of pensioners are preparing to risk their lives heroically in an effort to clean up the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant in Japan. The Skilled Veterans Corps, as the volunteers have named themselves, have recruited some 180 members aged between 54 and 78 for the cause.

The selfless new recruits - which include both men and women, and are all retired - will be tasked with rebuilding the cooling system in the power plant. They will be running the risk of being exposed to deadly levels of radiation, but they argue that as they are nearing the end of their lives, they don't have as much to live for as those younger than them.

Our generation, who has, consciously or unconsciously, approved the construction of the Fukushima nuclear power plants and enjoyed the benefits of the vast supply of energy ... should be the first to join the Skilled Veteran Corps,' he was quoted as saying in the Times. 'Young people with a long future should not have to be placed in a position of having to undertake such a task. 'Radiation exposure of the generation that will reproduce the next generation should be avoided.'

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Wow, that's amazing! Biiiiiiiig thumbs up for the way they think.

How honorable...now if only the rest of the world wasn't so individualists.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
For Chernoble, it took the entire Russian Army to clean an build the enclosure.
Sending 180 retirees isn't noble, it is insanity!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Granite

Well, it is noble of the 180 people to volunteer, but I agree with you, they seem understaffed for the job at hand.

It's going to take more than 180 people, but maybe more will volunteer.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
54?

that's still young.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I wonder what is or isn't in Japan's water supply because I can't understand how a nation that can slaughter dolphins, no matter if they have been doing it for 10000 years, is also so docile/civile to eachother in a situation like this.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Why you must mention dolphins in this thread i ask myself

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Since most health problem from exposure to moderate doses of radioactivity don't take place for 20 to 40 years.
And if someone has health problems that would kill them in 10 to 15 years anyway.

This would allow these people to earn some money for there remaining years. if it gave them a few hundred a month for there retirement it might be worth it.

If i was still active but had a slow moving cancer i might even volunteer for for something like that.

Who knows the radiation might slow the cancer even more or cure it.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Reply to post by Grey Magic

Because humans > animals.

Duh.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Since most health problem from exposure to moderate doses of radioactivity don't take place for 20 to 40 years.
And if someone has health problems that would kill them in 10 to 15 years anyway.

This would allow these people to earn some money for there remaining years. if it gave them a few hundred a month for there retirement it might be worth it.

If i was still active but had a slow moving cancer i might even volunteer for for something like that.

Who knows the radiation might slow the cancer even more or cure it.

I would add to that that most people of that age group have finished with having children of their own, so they are not going to be passing on mutated dna to the next generation. I expect that this is a major motivation, they will be aware of the problems that can potentially be passed down from exposure to radiation from the legacy of Hiroshima & Nagasaki. Whatever impact they manage to have on the situation, it is a very honorable and selfless thing that they wish to do.

peace
J
edit on 27-5-2011 by skjalddis because: typo

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
reply to post by Grey Magic

Why you must mention dolphins in this thread i ask myself

Yeah really if that isn't the definition of off topic I don't know what is.

At the risk of being in poor taste this would make for a good movie plot once this is all over. With the added bonus of being un-remakable.

new topics

top topics

join