It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A thought about our universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Okay, so astronomers say that the further we look in to space the further back in time we are seeing. And the same guys are saying that the universe expanded from a single point. So...... heres my thought. If we are able to see light from the early early universe, wouldnt it make sense that it doesnt matter where we look into deep space for the early stuff just as long as we look deep enough? get it? If we look far enough we will see the same thing.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

So you're saying that if we have a big enough telescope, we could see the entire universe by aiming it in any given direction.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
YUP!!!

The early stuff anyways.
edit on 26-5-2011 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well yeah, and this is what we see, the whole basis of the cosmic microwave background radiation of the Big Bang, WMAP.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I have a question: in which direction did the big bang happen? i mean if the universe is expanding and everything came from a single point, where is that point?

if this point exist and you look in that direction it would mean you look back in time but if you look in the other direction wouldn't that mean you look in to the future??

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I love that picture!! its so cool, never get tired of seeing it.
I especially like the new one that shows zoom out of the dense areas of the universe that makes it look like a GIANT sink spounge. Love love love this kinda science.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MADdin

very good point. that really makes sense

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
MADin
No you wouldnt see the future. It doesnt matter where you look, you will be looking into the past. always.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MADdin

You can never look into the future, because by the time the photons got to you as light, it already happened in the past.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidNova

thanks watching a docu about the big bang right now! i know the answer in a few minutes!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

My first and only published poem was really my philosophical journey of what IS, and how it can be thought of as a sponge. So maybe we are both delusional, (kidding).

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MADdin

The more you learn about light and light speed, you will realize you cannot ever see the future, and you can never 'time travel' to the past, only the future. Sounds paradoxical but given some thought, it bares out in common sense.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

thanks for the answer! yeah i got it now. Ahh I love the universe or multiverse or whatever

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
There's a new one. The universe isn't in a test tube or on some super computer... it's a giant sponge, perhaps being used to soak up toilet overflow
I like it.

I do agree, the CMB is one of the most beautiful images we have of our universe. That's why I have a ridiculously huge high-definition copy of it on my computer at all times. It really is a must.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
CLPrime--
So I take it you know the pic Im speaking of.
Its pretty awsome, I gotta make it my background too. Great idea.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
If space is infinite and the big bang came from a single point in space then what's makes that specific point so special? Something doesn't sit right with me about that.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I use images of the large-scale structure of the universe every chance I get. It's humbling, to know that we're such a small part of this vast universe, but it's also a source of pride, knowing that we can actually see and study that vastness from our insignificant spot in it all.

reply to post by fenceSitter

As far as the current form of the Big Bang theory (LCDM Cosmology) goes, the entire universe expanded from a single point. There is no "center", or starting point, to the universe, because all of it was created at the same instant. It's just been expanding ever since, to reach its current size.
edit on 26-5-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Big Bang Theory is exactly that, Theory. Popularity of the theory isn't evidence supporting it. It just shows that with enough money, and enough clout, you can make anything seem like fact.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Tephra--
Yes, but every thought ever had is just a theroy until proven, right? But in the mean time the consensous is what it is. So just becuz we gotta keep digging, doesnt mean that it isnt the right path. k?
~much love~

new topics

top topics

join