It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate votes to extend Patriot Act's roving wiretaps, records search

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Senate votes to extend Patriot Act's roving wiretaps, records search

Fox News

Facing a midnight deadline, the Senate has approved a four-year extension of three controversial terrorism-fighting provisions. The vote was 72-23, AP says.

The measure goes to the House, which is expected to approve it quickly and send it to President Obama for his signature.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 26-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Traitors all those who voted for it.

And people say ``voting`` changes things. No it doesn't.

Last election, the reelection rate was 90%+. People are too stupid to vote new people in. And even if they do, most of the time, they just elect the ``other party`` and it's business as usual.

Nothing short of a revolution will change things at this point.

Fox News
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Here they are:
Democrats Voting 'Aye'
Sen. Daniel Akaka [D, HI], Sen. Max Baucus [D, MT], Sen. Michael Bennet [D, CO], Sen. Richard Blumenthal [D, CT], Sen. Barbara Boxer [D, CA], Sen. Sherrod Brown [D, OH], Sen. Benjamin Cardin [D, MD], Sen. Robert Casey [D, PA], Sen. Kent Conrad [D, ND], Sen. Chris Coons [D, DE], Sen. Richard Durbin [D, IL], Sen. Al Franken [D, MN], Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand [D, NY], Sen. Thomas Harkin [D, IA], Sen. Daniel Inouye [D, HI], Sen. John Kerry [D, MA], Sen. Amy Klobuchar [D, MN], Sen. Herbert Kohl [D, WI], Sen. Frank Lautenberg [D, NJ], Sen. Carl Levin [D, MI], Sen. Joe Manchin [D, WV], Sen. Robert Menéndez [D, NJ], Sen. Barbara Mikulski [D, MD], Sen. Patty Murray [D, WA], Sen. Bill Nelson [D, FL], Sen. Ben Nelson [D, NE], Sen. Mark Pryor [D, AR], Sen. John Reed [D, RI], Sen. Harry Reid [D, NV], Sen. John Rockefeller [D, WV], Sen. Debbie Ann Stabenow [D, MI], Sen. Mark Warner [D, VA], Sen. Jim Webb [D, VA], Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse [D, RI]

Republicans Voting 'Aye'
Sen. Lamar Alexander [R, TN], Sen. Kelly Ayotte [R, NH], Sen. John Barrasso [R, WY], Sen. John Boozman [R, AR], Sen. Scott Brown [R, MA], Sen. Richard Burr [R, NC], Sen. Saxby Chambliss [R, GA], Sen. Daniel Coats [R, IN], Sen. Thomas Coburn [R, OK], Sen. Thad Cochran [R, MS], Sen. Susan Collins [R, ME], Sen. Bob Corker [R, TN], Sen. John Cornyn [R, TX], Sen. Michael Crapo [R, ID], Sen. Jim DeMint [R, SC], Sen. Michael Enzi [R, WY], Sen. Lindsey Graham [R, SC], Sen. Charles Grassley [R, IA], Sen. Orrin Hatch [R, UT], Sen. John Hoeven [R, ND], Sen. James Inhofe [R, OK], Sen. John Isakson [R, GA], Sen. Mike Johanns [R, NE], Sen. Ron Johnson [R, WI], Sen. Mark Kirk [R, IL], Sen. Jon Kyl [R, AZ], Sen. Richard Lugar [R, IN], Sen. John McCain [R, AZ], Sen. Mitch McConnell [R, KY], Sen. Jerry Moran [R, KS], Sen. Robert Portman [R, OH], Sen. James Risch [R, ID]

13 total Nay Votes (no details yet)

And 12 cowards abstain:
Democrats Voting 'Abstain'
Sen. Thomas Carper [D, DE], Sen. Dianne Feinstein [D, CA], Sen. Kay Hagan [D, NC], Sen. Tim Johnson [D, SD], Sen. Mary Landrieu [D, LA], Sen. Patrick Leahy [D, VT], Sen. Claire McCaskill [D, MO], Sen. Charles Schumer [D, NY]

Republicans Voting 'Abstain'
Sen. Roy Blunt [R, MO], Sen. Kay Hutchison [R, TX], Sen. Pat Roberts [R, KS]

Others Voting 'Abstain'
Sen. Joseph Lieberman [I, CT]

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Feinstein and Lieberman would have voted for it if they needed the votes. Those two I know well and they are scum.

Anyone who voted ``abstain`` should be kicked out of office.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I told all my friends when the "Patriot" Act was first introduced that we would never see it gone. Everyone around me said, "No, it is only a short term thing. It will be gone in 3 years."

I am not very well versed in such things. Has any such thing ever gone away as promised?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I can't tell you how sick to my stomach I am right now. This nonsense in our country will never end. Ever.

Since 9/11 we have had nothing but BS upon BS thrown at the general public. All under the guise of it "being for our own good". We move closer and closer to a police state. Everyday Americans lose more and more while corporations gain more and more. This country is no longer controlled by a "government for the people by the people". It is for the few by the same.

It amazes me that the people who are supposed to represent the people, absolutely do the opposite of what most people want. This current administration, along with several before it seem to just look to the constitution, and do EXACTLY the opposite of what it stands for. The constitution favored small government, so they keep giving themselves more and more power. Etc etc etc.

I'm honestly ill right now. I don't think I've been this mad in a long time. Between this getting passed AGAIN, and the nonsense with the DOJ getting involved down in Texas over the TSA.. I just don't know what to think anymore.

I'm so looking forward to seeing what a certain group of people do come June the 14th....

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Reply to post by Sagittarian69

The Clinton Assault Weapons Ban sort of went away.

The more totalitarian states adopted their own versions to keep it going.

But the federal ban actually expired as promised and saw very little support for renewal.

But most things just stay on forever either renewed as they are or relabeled and marketed to the people as something different when it really isn't.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Traitors? These politicians sold out well before this extension. Republicans AND Democrats voted to extend it back in 2009, it was extended in 2006, 2004, the majority of representitives have supported it time and time again.

Aside from the freshman candidates (most of them tea party), I would not refer to those politicians who have supported all along as traitors. They were corrupted all this time.

The following politicians below are real representitives:

Akaka (D-HI) Baucus (D-MT) Begich (D-AK) Bingaman (D-NM) Brown (D-OH) Cantwell (D-WA) Coons (D-DE) Durbin (D-IL) Franken (D-MN) Harkin (D-IA) Heller (R-NV) Lautenberg (D-NJ) Leahy (D-VT) Lee (R-UT) Merkley (D-OR) Murkowski (R-AK) Murray (D-WA) Paul (R-KY) Sanders (I-VT) Tester (D-MT) Udall (D-CO) Udall (D-NM) Wyden (D-OR)

www.reddit.com...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Only two tea party freshman voted against extending the patriot act? What happened guys? Please oh please explain this one for me. How many tea party freshman were elected to the senate in 2010? Can anybody recall. I must say to Rand Paul, he's got true balls. He stood virtually alone among the Republican party, that takes true guts. I don't agree with his policies, but really, I gotta hand it to him on this one, his constituents should be proud.

As for the rest, yep, the tea party badge was just another brand.
edit on 26-5-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

edit on 26-5-2011 by Seiko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko

Would that be Al Franken with a nay vote?

Stuart smalley representing.

My mistake, Al sharpton.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

edit on 26-5-2011 by Seiko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko

Is he really? I'll take a joke vote in my favour over a serious sell out any day.

I well and truly jumped the gun, I mean Al sharpton.

Al Frankin is a true patriot, no doubt.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Well, what's next? Obama can veto this, but that ain't ganna happen.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Well, what's next? Obama can veto this, but that ain't ganna happen.

The Great Irony will be when he doesn't veto it, because he is a constitutional expert. He's got no excuse to sign it, other than the fact that he is just another corrupt warmongering criminal intent on the plundering of THIS country, too. Not just the rest of the world. If he wasn't, he'd veto the thing on the spot for being unconstitutional. But with the Supreme Court in his pocket, despite being forced to throw Arizona a bone recently, he has nothing to worry about there either.

The whole thing's a sham. Legal slavery under the guise of a constitution made mostly by the wealthy for the wealthy- even acknowledging George Washington's hard sacrifices. Notice that it took more corruption, greed and self interest to beat the same in the British.

At some point in time Americans are going to have to realize that even the great constitution did not protect the financial interests, or civil liberties of the common man in the long, short run. It is a grim realization that only recently I am coming face to face with. America's going to have to ultimately be reinvented, I'm afraid. We didn't even get close. Someone like Bush or Obama might disagree, but that homeless vet on the street will disagree with them pretty profusely- as he looks down and sees no legs.

top topics

join