It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ECONOMY: Oil and 18 wheelers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
My Opinion on this that the government need to find an VIABLE reasonable Cheap new Fuel source for Diesel fuel 18 Wheelers,the Backbone of our economy. By Now most of you may have noticed the increased price of some of the goods you buy. This is all due to shipping cost increases. Now Multiply those Increases by 30 to 50 % when and if oil prices reach 75.00/100.00 a Barrel

This one of those subjects that not allot of people talk about but really effects us all. And Is something I know about personally because I am a security guard at a food distribution plant. And I talk to drivers all the time about how much it cost to run, And they tell me all the time that in order to keep running that they have had to require more Money from the Shippers because of the increase in Diesel costs. And that sooner or later we are going to see it in our stores.Because the stores still have to make a Profit so they pass it on to us Consumers. And in my mind this will eventually cause a HUGE inflation problem. So this is something I think that needs to be addressed by our government it is VERY important.We need at a Minimum at first to find a Way to Fuel 18 wheelers to more cheaply to save the Consumer....and as a Bonus more than likely our Environment. then once that happens we can get the Big Brains working on how to Fuel our personal cars without Middle eastern oil.....

[edit on 4-8-2004 by Truth_Hunter_1976]

[edit on 4-8-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
So, one could ask: why aren't we drilling in this country? What about all the capped wells lying unproductive? Why not develop Alaska as has been debated for years? It's okay to "ruin the envoronment" in other countries, but we must keep Alaska "pristine"? All the while being dependent on countries who don't like us at all?

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
You are absolutely right, the cost of diesel is increasing. However, the reason an alternative has not been implemented is plain economics. Petroleum diesel is still the cheapest fuel for the trucking industry. The best alternative is biodiesel, which is obtained from plant oils or animal fats, the most common sources being soybean oil and "yellow grease," which is primarily recycled cooking oil.

The following table shows the current and predicted production costs per gallon of diesel fuel by feedstock, in constant 2002 dollars:

Marketing Soybean Yellow
Year Oil Grease Petroleum
--------- -------- ------- ---------
2004/05 2.54 1.41 0.67
2005/06 2.49 1.39 0.78
2006/07 2.47 1.38 0.77
2007/08 2.44 1.37 0.78
2008/09 2.52 1.40 0.78
2009/10 2.57 1.42 0.75
2010/11 2.67 1.47 0.76
2011/12 2.73 1.51 0.76
2012/13 2.80 1.55 0.75

U.S. Department of Energy

As you can see, petroleum diesel is estimated to be the cheapest option for at least the next decade. Biodiesel is the best alternative because it requires negligible changes to the existing infrastructure, including fueling stations and engines. Other alternatives require changes that make them prohibitively expensive.

Why should the government work to find alternatives? If it is economically viable, private industry will undertake the necessary research and development. If it is not, then there is no reason to conduct said research. If the concerns are environmental (or similar), then the consumer needs to make it economically prudent for the industry to conduct research. Yes, it will require some sacrifices, but if you are not willing to make them, then you don't really care about your cause.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Purdue

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. One of the many thing that I have Looked up is Ethanol-Diesel. Although RIGHT NOW regular Petroleum Diesel is cheaper that Ethanol diesel. Government Subsidies Could offset this if you read this page you might see what I am talking about. The Facts are our petroleum supplies are running out and diesel trucks are the MAIN user of the fuels. We Absolutely have to find a way to fuel our trucks so our products to make it to the stores we have to make stand and find a way to MAKE new fuels instead depending on MID-EAST oil.

Edited for Spelling
And more Content
[edit on 10-8-2004 by Truth_Hunter_1976]

[edit on 10-8-2004 by Truth_Hunter_1976]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Here is the Libertarian SHORT term solution to the problem

Politicians are gouging American drivers
at the pump, Badnarik says

WASHINGTON, DC -- Angry about sky-high gasoline prices? Then blame the
politicians in Washington, DC, whose federal fuel tax has raised the
cost of fuel by 18 cents a gallon, Libertarians say.

"Uncle Sam is a greedy price gouger, and every American driver is one of
his victims," says Michael Badnarik, Libertarian candidate for
president. "Ending the federal fuel tax would save consumers billions of
dollars and stimulate the economy in the process."

www.lp.org...

I know this is a short term solution to a long term problem but this would have the added effect of boosting our economy.

[edit on 12-8-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I think we should also consider other forms of shipping. Trains, for example. They can carry far more then a truck (I think an oil tanker can carry three times as much as a oil truck?) which would hopefully reduce the costs. Electric trains like in Europe would even eliminate smog (from the train, at least). I do think finding an alternative to diesel and other petroleum based fuels is essential, but we also need to consider other forms of transportation.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Cercy

Agreed.... Trains would be great! But you would still need the trucks to haul it from train to the Distribution points. Big Rigs are the Heartbeat of America if we do not find an alternative way to fuel these trucks and WHEN we run out of Petroleum and we WILL that is certain we will have EMPTY shelves at our stores and Pandamonium.....

We have to get people on this and on it now....Another plus for this would be that if Petroleum supplies are not being used to Fuel trucks........Longer Life span for the Supply.....More Refineries Could make Automobile Gas increasing the supplies

top topics

join