It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People know if you're gay by the way you pronounce your vowels!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I'd also attribute it to the influence of body language, which can be a dead give away. A lot of gay men seem to modify their speech to adopt patterns similar to those of a lot of high school aged girls.

It's not the case always, but speech patterns really are a huge giveaway most of time.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
You cannot tell everyone's sexual orientation by the way they speak.
Could you tell that Rock Hudson was gay?

You cannot tell everyone's sexual orientation by the way they dress.
Eddie Izzard likes to cross dress, did you know he's straight?

You cannot tell everyone's sexual orientation by the easy they act; and so on, and so forth.
The human personality is far far too complex to be so easily and simply categorized.
To attempt to pigeonhole any one person based on a single simple characteristic is ignorant to the extreme.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I am convinced it is an act and learned behavior. And is effected by peer pressure.... and this is why.

I am what you call Gay friendly. I am not gay but used to go clubs that played techno. Long before it was cool in "hetro" clubs. So had a lot of gay mates.

Back in the 80s & 90s a lot of my gay mates acted camp and spoke camp. I thought it was just how they spoke so never thought about it. But in NZ over the last 10 years "camp" has gone out of fashion. Now "straight" is the new gay. No more dressing camp, no more acting camp. They don't even have a Hero parade any more because it was "too gay".

Flame me all you want, but that is the truth.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I find this so interesting: acting gay and queer.

Meanwhile the truth is that people act straight.
Men perform masculinity.

The biggest actors are calling us actors.
That is so funny.

edit on 26-5-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
People are assuming that they are talking about stereotypical talking gay guys. These articles say no such thing. They simply say that there are subtle differences by the vowels, and they said that you CAN'T tell by consonants, even by the S. They had gay guys and straight guys saying the S and people confused the two, but with vowels, it was obvious.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

What do you think about all of this?

I think....you have a Gay Flag in your avatar......

And.....if I recorded my voice, for you to hear, you won't pick up ANY "Gay" accent in it.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Gay accent.

Okay, now I have definitely heard it ALL on ATS... seriously. I mean obviously all gays walk around talking like Mr Slave, right? Jethus Chritht!

If the bashers only knew how many homosexuals they are in contact with every single day.. and there is no way to outwardly ( naturally) show sexual preference by anything.. much less an accent. If gay folks want to affect an accent within the lifetyle.. who cares? I dont. In fact, it would probably do us all good if we stayed out of eachothers bedrooms completely. If we must judge, lets judge according to integrity and accomplishment rather than who someone loves or is attracted to. I wonder if some folks here would like us to all judge them by some of the people they have had relationships with.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I personally think that straight men fake masculinity more than gay men fake femininity (and it is far more annoying), but that's probably more specific to my generation of gay people who think that the whole "outward gayness" thing is rather counterproductive. That being said, I definitely have that slight "gay tinge" to my voice that shows up around my S consonants more often than not, and that is 100% involuntary. I went through vocal coaching to try to keep it in check after I hit 16, as I was doing commercial acting alongside printwork modeling and you can only be gay on TV if you're making yourself into a joke somehow. It lost me tens of thousands of dollars, if I could've changed it I obviously would have.

There is, however, the much more outward campy gay accent that just annoys me to no end. I don't understand that whatsoever since I am no longer 15 when I got all campy and annoying because I was a brat. Maybe some people never grow up, maybe some people can't help it... I assume both of these are true with different people. I'm personally not going to hold it against them... although I have tried my hardest to be social with them and they really just... bother me. I can't also help but point out that these are more often than not the same gay people that think being promiscuous is their foremost job in life, and for those ones I'm going to have to go with the former excuse as the more likely concatenation.

That being said, there is a third skew of this "accent". Our group of friends has nicknamed this section the "chaff" as it totally screws with the "gaydar". In a depressing outline, a young man committed suicide while I was in High School because, although he was straight -- well, as far as I and everyone else should have known he was -- everyone just badgered him because he spoke relatively similar to me when I was in the closet (I'm sure I don't have to mention that this was a Catholic school by this point). Anyways, I would class myself as a "moderately attractive" male and he was not hard to look at either. I definitely informed him that I was "on the market" ( yes, DATING, not intercourse
) on several occasions and got totally, yet politely, denied. It's such a waste, really, he was legitimately one of those "genuine people" that were super religious but totally understanding and down to earth at the same time. Since him I've noticed more and more men with these accents that claim to be straight and when I get into talking to them they are ALWAYS religious. So I found it safe to conclude that there is a plethora of gay-sounding SUPER RELIGIOUS men, as well. I know that a lot of jokes are going to form about them "trying to cover it up" and all that... I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt because I don't dictate how people think, and getting judgmental and dictatorial about these issues could never end well.

The moral of the story is not only that Catholic school children are somehow the most demonic little brats on the planet considering how evangelical their upbringing was, filled with "ethics" and "beatitudes" (really, it is extremely questionable why these schools are funded by the public) and not only that there is purpose in talking about this, but that ignoring issues like this is literally killing our youth with ignorance.
edit on 27-5-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-5-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by arpgme

What do you think about all of this?

I think....you have a Gay Flag in your avatar......

And.....if I recorded my voice, for you to hear, you won't pick up ANY "Gay" accent in it.

No, I don't have a Gay Flag in my avatar. That's Nyan Cat you just can't see it completely.

Also, stereotypical "gay" speaking is just that a stereotype. these articles are saying that there are differences in how the vowels are pronounced, not that "people who speak in a gay accent are identified as gay" which is would be a pointless article.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I don't know about speech patterns but I have noticed that all of my male friends who are gay have wet lips, I don't say that to get a laugh, I am serious. They all have a problem with too much spit on their lips, and are always wiping or licking at them, it stands out. One guy in particular, I have noticed that he actually sucks spittle back into his mouth at times, so he obviously knows that too much is there.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

No, I don't have a Gay Flag in my avatar.

Denial.

It's not just a way to float barges down a river to build pyramids, anymore.....

Oh....a "banner" then....(which, is a form of flag, after all....rainbow pattern, notwithstanding).

LOL....
:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by arpgme

No, I don't have a Gay Flag in my avatar.

Denial.

It's not just a way to float barges down a river to build pyramids, anymore.....

Oh....a "banner" then....(which, is a form of flag, after all....rainbow pattern, notwithstanding).

LOL....
:

Is this going somewhere?

...?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join