It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmers political association

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Can anybody educate me on why farmers and country folk are mostly republicans? These people are your average everyday hard working lower middle class people that you would think would not follw the GOP. I have found differently. I have also noticed it is hard for them to actually read between the lines. This might be a local phenamonon(sp) to where I am located at. I have noticed this to be the case in Central Ohio and the surounding area? I am asking this to hopefully understand the thinking of my new neighbors. I just bought a house in the country and do not want to create enimies. Please keep in mind I do not want to upset or have generalization about people, but from the one's I have met thus far, this has been my observation.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I think it has lot to do with how hard farming is. Its a lifestyle that truly makes concepts like self sufficiency, responsibillity and community real. There is no such thing as a lazy farmer. Just to survive you have to wake before dawn and work till well after dusk. Also most rural communities are very religous, and I don't just mean going to church on sunday. God is a part of daily life. Think about it when your whole livlehood and the welfare of your family depends on the weather it makes you realise that you are not in control. Also many of the democrats policies put them squarley in oppositon to rural america. How do you thnk a guy or gal whos lived in the country thier whole life feels when environmental policies like, species protection, hunting, and water managemanet are being discussed by people who for the most part have never worked the land or in many cases even been outside of a city, and yet have the gall to say that those who do are anti-nature? Not to mention tht most rural folk take the right to bear arms very seriously and are tired of democratic politicians tryng to demonise them for hunting and shooting. Add to that the vast amounts of money spent on welfare in the cities and the huge cuts to farm subsidies in the last few decades and wht youve got is a population who see dems as "city slicker" who don't understand thier needs and don't want to.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Thanks mwm1331, I see exactly what you are saying. I stoped calling myself a dem a few years back once I understood what they are all about. Although I refuse to call myself a repub as well. I do not hunt but I believe in the right to bear arms WITHOUT restrictions and I think we need hunting for certain reasons.
I would be considered a city slicker honestly, but looking at what you wrote my thoughts are in-line with a farmers/hunters. I believe in water conservation but not for the farmer. I believe that the non-farmers should stop watering thier lawns and conserve water so the farmers can grow thier crops. I completely see where you have come from and do understand thier needs.

The referance to religion I do have one question about that. It is off topic though but here it is. Where does cloud seeding(NOT Chemtrails) come from if the farmer thinks he can not control the weather.

Another thing I do not understand is the repubs un-equivacle(sp) support for large agriculture companies that are putting these little farmers out of buisness. And the little farmer still supports those politicions. Putting myself in a farmers shoe that last point would piss me off enough to change who I vote. It might not make me change my affiliation though(so maybe I just answered my own question). I don't know.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I hail from Indiana here. Pure corn belt. Just wanted to note that the large farm corps that buy the private farms, still have the farmers working for them. They work the land and harvest and are paid handsomly for it. The only real thing that changes is who owns the land. Also it is a better guarantee for the farmer. He knows he is going to be paid. Also better regulation of the land and so forth...

It is usually beneficial to the farmer to sell out to a company, than try to make it on their own. Some may disagree, but this is my opinion....

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
How about in the case like Monsanto? And cattle/poultry/swine farms where they are kept in cages or pens inside a building being fed drugs and unnatural feed, being de-beeked(if there is such a word) etc... Which by the way, I have switched to organic meets and my migrains almost came to a complete halt.
And what would the farmer do if he wanted to grow organic.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
typicaly organic farms are smaller run entities. And the case you are talking about, Im sure is either a one time thing or at the most, not wide spread. I may be wrong, but what ever. Im not here to defend corporate farming, as Im not a farmer, and couldnt debate it properly.

I'm lucky in so much as I dont notice any difference in food i eat. Whether its organic or not. Unless you shop only at health food stores, and never in a restaurant, then I doubt whether or not you truely only eat organic food as it is almost impossible to find food that hasnt been modified in some way shape or form.

anyrate, my point was this was probably the reason why farmers seem to go right.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
this site has information on what I am talking about. It also has a matrix parady that after a little research is fairly accurate, www.themeatrix.com.... I have been eating organic for about 2 years now. You are correct not everything I eat is organic but I try to limit myself on non-organic foods. It would be impossible to eat only organic. It is widely available but just a little expensive.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
well, another reason that farms are being bought, is the astronimical demand. it is just to large for individual farmers to take care of. its much better ran by a few large groups, but still let the farmers work the land. some did get really screwed, and thats sad, but it was a necesary evil.

now as to why they vote republican? well this might start a fire, if it does, im sorry. this is only an opinion, but i think it is because, most farmers are hicks who dont like them "colored kind" running around. they associate democrat with ni--er lovin..blah blah blah. the democrats are gonna take our guns, they givin all the money to the blacks...its this kind of garbage that they base their vote on. most are from small towns and have been there all their lifes. their simple people, and dont deviate from their ways much. they wont bother you, but they dont want you around niether..again, just an opinion..

top topics

join