It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 and the Save Yourself Survival Switch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I often have conversations with my family about the topic of 2012 and what we expect from it. We have many hypothetical discussions about what may happen and what we would do during the event. We talk about pole shifts, mega tsunamis, super volcanoes, mega quakes and discuss what supplies we should have and where we should move to avoid calamity. You know the "what if" survival strategy which seems to me is becoming a more prevalent mind state the closer we get to 2012. Which brings me to what I fear the most and the point I am trying to make here. I am terrified of roaming hordes of crazies in survival mode trying to gather what they need for themselves and their family by using any means possible. If you take the increasing 2012 end of the world hysteria and couple it with even a small catastrophe like a city wide black out of Los Angeles or New York for example. With everyone in the dark with no outside communication would cause the situation to rapidly deteriorate and flip on the "Save yourself Survival Switch". Think 1977 New York black out mixed with end of the world anarchy mindstate.

The blackout occurred when the city was facing a severe financial crisis and its residents were fretting over the Son of Sam murders. The nation as a whole was suffering from a protracted economic downturn and commentators have contrasted the event with the good-natured Where were you when the lights went out? atmosphere of 1965. Some pointed to the financial crisis as a root cause of the disorder, others noted the hot July weather. (The city at the time was in the middle of a brutal heat wave). Still others pointed out that the 1977 blackout came after businesses had closed and their owners went home, while in 1965 the blackout occurred during the day and owners stayed to protect their property. However, the 1977 looters continued their damage into the daylight hours, with police on alert.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

Given the increasing 2012 hysteria and fear mongering that we even see today I don't believe it would take much to put a large population over the edge in the near future. I would even say that just a few day black out of the internet would cause major strife. People are crazy, especially when confronted with the will to survive and I truly believe that this type of event will be the first calamity any of us will be confronted with and should be what to prepare for regardless of an actual 2012 event occurring.

What are your thoughts?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
My thoughts = I need to buy a few guns.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denco
My thoughts = I need to buy a few guns.

5000 rounds of ammo--min.

for one of these.. www.henryrepeating.com...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatKnot

I agree, they are almost ready for harvest, and just in time for the alignment.
Oh how pleased our masters will be.
It's what they do best, sling fear.
Cool heads will prevail, only problem is the PTB know this but not all of the populace does.
The same thing will happen many small factions will war with each other and the rich will get richer.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Nice gun, I have seen those everywhere and it seems they are making a comeback.
I often think I should buy one of those as a stowaway specific survival gun, but never have.
Just a bit pricy for my taste but I really should get me one of those while I can.
I do prefer the 10-22 as they have so much in the way of customization and are very packable but just for grins and giggles I'd love to have an ar7.

And yeah 22lr does carry a helluva lot easier than any caliber, 5000 rounds would be heavy but actually possible.

(Edit)
Curiosity just got the better of me and i figured with a 22lr weighing .12 oz 5000 rounds woul be 37.5 lbs
with a pack at 60 lbs that would leave you with about 20 lbs of filler!!

it seems 9mm is around .50 ounce and 45acp .75
150lbs for 9mm or 235ish lbs for 45.
Of course bullet weight may vary a small amount depending on taste but just a grins and giggles comparison.

edit on 24-5-2011 by g146541 because: Curiosity

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Denco

Guns are good. But this is exactly what I am talking about. If something happens how many people are going to load up with guns and ammo and head to the local grocery store for supplies. I imagine people would be shot over a jug of water.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

That is how I feel about 2012. I do not fear earth changes, or an alien invasion/NWO....I fear my neighbor trying to kill me and my family for my stockpile!

I agree that people are crazy, but they make bad decisions without the stress of surviving through a disaster or event. Put them in a real bad situation and I think people will completely fall apart. In the face of societal/economic breakdown, I don't think most people have the ability to think with a level head, and they will resort to extremes quicker than we think.

Be prepared.....supply wise and mentally. I know what I have to do even if others don't and I am willing to follow through with my plans regardless of whether or not the other people go crazy!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I wrote up what ended up being a long post that got deleted before I could post it so I have no interest in retyping it all. So I'll make it super, super short. I got wiped out in Hurricane Rita slammed the receiver of my sidearm into a would be thief's face, my best friend almost had to shoot a guy trying to steal his gas. We evacuated to a town that had a population of around 2,500 people that ballooned up to 37,000 people. I became a deputy Sheriff to protect the temporary tribe that formed up after setting up a duty section and watch rotation. I was also told when we left that I was the ONLY evacuee to volunteer. It was a temporary SHTF and got very crazy, when things go nationally/globally south people will truly meet and understand each other, it will bring out most people's true self and from what I saw most people are worthless.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Once again sir I believe you to be correct.
There are a few of us out there who will hear the gunshots from home and avoid the Xmassextinction rush.
We are called preppers, were getting more and more added to our ranks everyday.
Just stock up a little is all it takes, over time you will find you are good on supplies in one area then you can move to the next ...obsesion.

That's what my Hunneh calls it anyway.
Once the initial fools die and or are killed off, there will be elbow room.
Just try not to get caught up in the initial onslaught is all.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I agree. Some people are animals with law and order in place, so imagine what they would be like if it collapsed. Not to mention all the divided factions in our society that would literally go to war with each other. Its deliberate.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

People are animals. Look at the way people act when Facebook is having problems, or their computer/xboxs crash. Look at the way these dumb people act when they get drunk and accuse other men/women of looking at their boyfrind or girlfriend! Look at the dumb masses that riot when their hometown ball team wins the national championship, or lost a soccer game!

Also look at the number of people on medications for bipolar, depression, anxiety and other such problems. Cut of their pills and toss them into a shtf situation and you have an army breed to destroy itself from the inside.

That's ok though, I'm ready. You wont see me looting or killing unless they try to kill me.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I also wanted to add to the people that think wearing BDU's etc.. during a SHTF situation is a bad idea have no idea what they are talking about. Scummy people will leave armed folks alone but will avoid people in cammo like the plague. You will however attract people that need help like moths to a flame so thats something to keep in mind. Also if the cell towers are still working only send text messages, millions of people trying to make phone calls crash the service. Text message are bursts of data it might take 10-45 minutes for it to get through and to get a response but it'll work. I still remember telling people to stop trying to fruitlessly call people and to text and they just stared at me like I was trying to explain nuclear fission to them.

top topics

join