It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protocol for adding Friends?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Here's a question for everyone: Is there a protocol for adding someone to your Friends list in your profile? I mean, do you pm them and tell them that you'd like to Friend them? Or do you just go ahead and Friend them?

It's funny - somebody adds you as a Foe, and you get an automatic u2u alerting you to the fact, but no such notification for being Friended by someone.

Some members impress me with their logic and reasoning skills, and that includes people that I may disagree with occasionally. I'd like to consider them a Friend.

Where's Emily Post when I need her?
edit on 23-5-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Yes i would like something to say "Poster Favorites" as the function that friends is now and Friends be a actual Friends lists. The function now can just be a "I like what this person posts in This Fourm so keep me on them in this fourm if they post something on something on *EG* Science i want to know!" and friends be like a Easy to find there posts and things like that fourms you both like you get notices when they start a thread/post on it eg.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I think you just add them, it seems like a pretty useless function to me so far.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I friend anyone and everyone that provokes the monster between my ears and then use "Friend's Threads" for a quick list of the days must reads.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

I can't tell you what the correct way is, but I just add the members who I think are interesting and informative. This is my way of being able to find the threads these members have created. Then I can, in the ribbon along the bottom of the page, click on "friend's threads".

Mahree

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Here's a question for everyone: Is there a protocol for adding someone to your Friends list in your profile? I mean, do you pm them and tell them that you'd like to Friend them? Or do you just go ahead and Friend them?

It's funny - somebody adds you as a Foe, and you get an automatic u2u alerting you to the fact, but no such notification for being Friended by someone.

Yep, If I add them I u2u usually to let them know, unless they added me first with no u2u. Because while someone may share a view with you on one topic, they may not on several others- and plus, they may not want to be on your friend's list regardless, so I always ask if it's ok- and I'll be happy to remove if they prefer.

I also find the other thing you said strange too, that we'd get a u2u alert for rivals, but not friends. Should be the other way around. From time to time I have to go through my list and update, and I'd rather do it as I go. A u2u when someone adds me would be much better- and especially after you've been here for years the list gets long and hard to sift through.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I just tend to add quietly. My friends list is kind of a wonderful rogue's gallery, though, since a lot of them were banned. I do miss the green box on threads around the posters who were friends, though. Is that function going to come back?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Great question!

First time I added somebody as a Friend, because we clearly saw eye-to-eye on many issues, I began wondering if I had committed some sort of faux pas. I never asked this member's permission. I just did it because I wanted to read future threads authored by him/her.

Yep, If I add them I u2u usually to let them know, unless they added me first with no u2u. Because while someone may share a view with you on one topic, they may not on several others- and plus, they may not want to be on your friend's list regardless, so I always ask if it's ok- and I'll be happy to remove if they prefer.

I'm going with what TrueAmerican said. Seems logical as well as classy.

Now a question. How would you handle a fellow member you did NOT see eye-to-eye with, yet respected their arguments to the hilt? You would even seek this member's comments out on any given post just to have an excellent back-and-forth.

Friend? Foe? None of the above (which I've gone with so far)?

edit on 23-5-2011 by Hessling because: ETA

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Now a question. How would you handle a fellow member you did NOT see eye-to-eye with, yet respected their arguments to the hilt? You would even seek this member's comments out on any given post just to have an excellent back-and-forth.

That's almost the classic definition of a Respected Foe, if I recall. Emphasis on Respected.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
reply to post by Hessling

That's almost the classic definition of a Respected Foe, if I recall. Emphasis on Respected.

Bingo!

We've traded barbs on numerous threads, always respectfully, and God help me, sometimes agreeing!

Now if there was only a Respected Foe button, that would really be something!!!!!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessling
Now if there was only a Respected Foe button, that would really be something!!!!!

Well that is exactly what "rival" used to be, before they changed to rival: Respected foe. But if I recall correctly, Skeptic Overlord and the rest of staff felt like it wasn't getting used that way, so they changed it. Not sure if that's been for better or worse, but they did.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Bummer!

I much prefer the tone of "Respected Foe" as compared to "Rival". Me? I have no "rival" on ATS. (At least none that I'm aware of!)

Now...respected foes? Still building on that list!

edit on 23-5-2011 by Hessling because: ETA

top topics

join