It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urantia Book Discussion: Conspiracy or Otherwise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Being a student of human behavior, religion is of interest to me, not only because of the personal experience of individuals, but as an engine for social change. I have studied the world's great religions and many of the lesser ones. Aside from The Holy Bible, the texts that have had the strongest and most positive impact on my life are The I Ching and The Urantia Book.

Has anyone here perused The Urantia Book? Has it had an impact on your life? It seems to me that some of the cosmology tracks recent scientific discoveries. One such similarity between the pronouncements of The Urantia Book and science is the relatively recent theory of dark matter and dark energy.

About the time I first discovered the UB, I sent for an artists rendition of the universe as described therein. One of the features described in the UB is a wall of galaxies surrounding the boundaries of the known universe. I thought at the time that if this was true surely our telescopes would have found that wall by now. Within a short time, I found in an article in the local newspaper that such a stellar structure had indeed been found. I don't know any more about it than that, but it sure is interesting.

But, beyond these scientific matters, it has been my observation that the UB is sprinkled throughout with incomparable wisdom and invaluable insight.

If you have encountered the UB, I'd like to hear from you, especially if you think that the whole thing is a conspiracy enslave mankind.

[edit on 04/9/11 by GradyPhilpott]

[edit on 04/9/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I have certainly heard of Urantia. I haven't read very much of it yet, but it interests me quite a bit. If you have anymore insight or thoughts on it, you should share them.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sillinous
I have certainly heard of Urantia. I haven't read very much of it yet, but it interests me quite a bit. If you have anymore insight or thoughts on it, you should share them.

While I have studied the UB for many years, I feel that the intent of this discussion group precludes my proselytizing. My experience with the UB has been wholly positive, but I am not in a position to vouch for its veracity, except as it has influenced my life. One of the lessons of the UB is that one can be wholly correct as to the facts and completely wrong as to the truth. The same can be said of the UB.

There are many "facts" to be found therein, but I cannot substantiate them because these things are not only beyond my knowledge, they are beyond the material realm. I believe however that truth resonates within the human spirit and it is in that sense that I find the UB to be of almost limitless interest.

If you are interested in beginning a study of the UB, the book is online. I would suggest that you start with Paper 100 and pay special attention to the section entitled, "The Acme of Religious Living." If you find this reading interesting, then you can continue in your study, if not, then you have lost nothing but a little time. I suspect that you will find something of value in this reading, even if you do not choose to study further.

For me, the section, "The Acme of Religious Living," really puts the matter of the role of religion in the proper perspective, so that I can not only feel comfortable about my own experience, but with the experiences of others.

[edit on 04/9/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I am just now learning of this particualar conspiracy and will post more information as I find it.

The Conspiracy Hypothesis*

*Hypothesis: Something that is taken to be true for purposes of argument or investigation.

It appears that after some initial interest in the late 1950s by the CIA's mind-control program, MKULTRA, that the National Security Agency (NSA) or someone operating in its behalf infiltrated the primary official URANTIA� organizations. They used "artificial telepathy" to make a beloved leader believe he was in contact with supernal beings and brought about his fall from grace. Another leader (now near-universally acknowledged within the movement to be the causative factor in the split-up, and since forcibly removed from his position of leadership) used this event, possibly at the instigation of "artificial telepathy", as a pretext to seize control of a primary organization and instigate policies which had a disastrous effect upon the movement, splitting it into two warring camps, as it were.

Meanwhile a channeling cult was being prepared to infect legitimate URANTIA Book study groups and turn them at least in part from direct study to the passive absorption of lessons on Urantia Book topics transmitted by "artificial telepathy" through channelers. This cult -- preying on The URANTIA Book study groups, converting some members and driving away others -- found its strongest support in a retired Marine Corps General who had become an official of one of the primary organizations, the one with the most influence on the study groups. This General had operational ties to the CIA.

The motives of the NSA appear to stem from legitimate, if wrongheaded, national security concerns, however its operation in the Urantia movement is in violation of the U.S. Constitution and of human rights in general. It is an unwarrented imposition of government into religion, and an ultimate invasion of the privacy of targeted individuals. It should be both uncovered and stopped, not necessarily in that order. Scientific testing is available and is needed to differentiate the true from the false wherever such phenomena manifest. Those who knowingly participate in this scam and further its unconstitutional aims -- regardless of motives and/or "orders" -- are criminals who should be brought to justice.

CONSPIRACY IN THE URANTIA MOVEMENT:
Overview

MKULTRA

The purpose of the CIA's MKULTRA was to research and develop methods of covert control of unwitting people for exploitation by government defense and intelligence agencies. Drugs, hypnosis, electronics, and psychology (including parapsychology and the occult) were their basic research areas. Like any good scientists they thoroughly reviewed the historical documentation which related to their areas of interest. They farmed out experimental projects to a list of prestigious universities and to government agencies such as the National Institute of Health and the National Institute of Mental Health (these also funded their university contract work with grants).

The chief officers, MKULTRA Director Dr. Sidney Gottlieb, and his superior, Richard Helms, when their pernicious activities came to light, burned all the records (fortunately overlooking boxes of financial records that had been stored separately). They did what they could -- which was considerable -- to keep the general public and responsible government authorities from knowing what they were up to, as well as the precise reasons for it. Some things are generally understood, however. Gottlieb, Helms, and other knowledgeable officials were required to testify before Congress, many of them have been interviewed by writers, and some of the science which their researchers originated has been replicated outside of their curtain of secrecy. So there is information from fairly reliable sources. The waters, however, have been muddied by purposeful disinformation as well as by conspiracy theory fanaticism and paranoia. It is not always possible to know where to draw the line.

Although government mind-control projects were in operation as early as the 1940's (during which along with other things the Russian, drug-brainwash "show trials" were studied), MKULTRA, which both grew out of them and absorbed some of them, began operating about the time that the North Koreans were brainwashing POWs with a little help from their Chinese friends (1950s). And the Chinese techniques motivated them to do a little reverse engineering, that is, the Americans copied the Chinese methods. But they did not limit themselves to just that.

The records show that shortly before The URANTIA Book was published, the CIA began an extensive search for, and development of exceptionally-gifted persons exhibiting perfect esp performance (1952), and the following year MKULTRA planted at least one �very specialized observer� at seances, seeking a �broad surveillance of all individuals attending meetings�. In studying the literature they would have undoubtedly encountered Dr. Sadler, who might be characterized as the "midwife" of The URANTIA Book had previously published writings debunking spiritualism. From them MKULTRA's analysts would have learned about the "contact personality" and might have been very interested.

In 1958 MKULTRA '___' supplier and running dog, Al Hubbard contacted Urantia movement inner circle habitu�, Meredith Sprunger, for information about The URANTIA Book and the Urantia movement. Sprunger, however, does not remembers the outcome if any. He was, however, impressed with Hubbard's credentials and associates, among whom were some of the elite of the psychedelic drug fraternity. (see letter at, urantiabook.org...)

www.urantiagate.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Grady, just got a copy of the Urantia Book the other day, just started reading it. I began by reading paper 119, but will take your recomendation and back up to paper 100. I will post my thoughts here after I read paper 100.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
My wife is totally interested in this and has been talking to me about it for awhile.
Some things that she has said are now starting to come together with some theories I have been collecting from different sources.

See i was an evangelical christian for almost forever...but i am totally convinced now that the story of creation found in Urantia probably comes closer to revealing more of the truth then what is in the Bible.

In Sephardic Kabbalaistic Judaism it is taught that the teachings of Genesis is not a literal story of what happened. But I started figureing that out for myself from some comments Jesus made in the New Testament.

Is this book IT...well it certainly has its place in this puzzle...

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
In Sephardic Kabbalaistic Judaism it is taught that the teachings of Genesis is not a literal story of what happened.

I have always thought that much of the Bible was symbolic, just a way of saying things so that primitive man could understand them and live the right way. Not just Genesis but much more, such as the old laws about clean foods and whatnot. You couldn�t explain to a non-tech. society the truth about how the universe was formed, or why you can't eat your food uncooked, it would have been lost to them, and therefore lost to the world.
It needed to take a form that the people of the time would understand and therefore pass on through the ages. It is the message behind the story that matters.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I'm glad to see that others are taking an interest in the UB. The book has, along with other texts, had an enormous impact on my life. I look forward to discussing this topic in the future.

I will be not as in touch for the next few days, but I will return to action afterward.

Thanks for your interest.

[edit on 04/11/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Thanks GradyPhilpott

The UB is a wonderful book....It explains SO MANY things! Like the evolution, death, souls, races, languages, our goal!

Here is a copy of urantia book online

www.urantia.org...

Maybe it looks really weird at first...but the more you read, the more you will understand

love and light
Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
You're right Amelia. The UB is not the easiest read around, but it may well be the most enlightening anyone could ever read. There are many discussions on this board for which excellent explanations are available in the UB.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The UB rejects (in part) The book of Revelations, as an adulterated version of the original prophecy: it kinda makes sense doesen`t it? Why would God let the child of Lucifer reach world domination. Revelation has only lead to paranoia and anxiety among Christians.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The Urantia book is real, and it is just another ironic factor the whole "world's understanding" of the things of the creator. Let's look at the "bible". The Bible's merit stands upon peoples, "the prophets", statements of hearing the voice of God. This is in no way diffrent then the way the Urantia Book was delivered upon mankind. Yet, strangly the "religious majority" rejects the book. Mankind it would seem keeps wanting to make the same error in assumption of them "having" the answers already. This is reflected perfectly in your own statement as you assumed if such a cosmic wall existed it would have been found "by now". Truth be known, "mankind" still has a long way to go to understand.

You begin to grow old and die, from a psychological aspect, when you let your consciousness become fixed into a concreat state of mind rather then keeping the youthful liquid state of mind. This beauitiful mirrors the aquarian age we're going into, but that's another post.

The "lost scrolls", dead sea, nag hammiti, others, paint an picture of the historic events recorded in the bible in another light. I studied those far before I ever looked into the UB. If I hadn't I would not have known what to make of the UB. However those untainted lost scrolls picture matches what the UB says. Strange because those "lost scrolls" were still LOST when the UB was published.

The UB is Real. It just doesn't paint the selfrightous, nationalistic, self oriented picture that most religious people and religions want to show the world. There's still a latent issue of "control" throughout mankind and based around this planet.

Ironic from my perspective because I KNOW how real the UB is, and I see people looking for "the answers", I understand the answers are right there in front of everyone to see, and yet each person sets themself as their own stumbling stone. Go Firgure!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
The UB rejects (in part) The book of Revelations, as an adulterated version of the original prophecy: it kinda makes sense doesen`t it? Why would God let the child of Lucifer reach world domination. Revelation has only lead to paranoia and anxiety among Christians.

I disagree strongly. You are well wrong and you need focus on a clearer view. the UB doesn't reject Revelation. A very fue ever gain a flash of understanding as to the truth writen within the bible book Revelation. The UB actually suports the last book of the bible in ways beyond the understanding of mankind at this time.

Don't be confused just because the UB is written in such a way as to try to reflect "Just the FACTS mam". The UB expresses clearly that it is not an "inspired" work, that's translated to "prophetic", but rather it's a writing as if it were written for a college class. This is because many of the beings responcable for the delivery of that book are not clued into the prophecy. Ironic again that these "higher beings" don't try to translate the prophecy, yet mankind's religion think they understand it fully.

reply to post by GradyPhilpott

The UB is expresses that it is written in the highest understandings according to 1912, or there abouts, and yes that's still very high these days. However the teams of people that work with the UB are very wonderful. They've put the book on audio. It's far easier to play and listen then it is to focus and read.

The book is FREE to download, thought it is well worth picking up to boot.

urantiabook.org...

[edit on 2-7-2008 by Incarnated]

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Two Thousand and Eight.... That's a while ago. Well I became aware of this book just yesterday as a suggested book to read on a Youtube comment section. I have found a site with the book in audio and read along form. And if your lazy, or just want to focus..... the audio is great. It's not your usual monotone robot reader, but instead, as far as I can tell, a real human reading it.

Just a related thought... were this to be a "Truth" would not the PTB or Satan, or the powers of darkness seek to keep this hidden ? I would think so, because if it IS accurate, it would be like Kryptonite to evil/darkness.

Well Here I go on my quest for truth.... it's audio.... how easy is that ? !

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: GradyPhilpott

Don't remind me! I once got on their mailing list and they mailed me things for twenty years even though I finally kept on writing on them 'Return to sender'. I finally moved once too often for them and they lost me. Idiots.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I haven't read the UB but came across it one day about 25 yrs ago at a friend of my Mums who is a fundie Christian.

I had a quick glance and iirc it talked about Jesus's life before he was talked about in the bible ie the missing years.

The lady whose house I was at, was a fundie too and often put up people who were down and out. Someone she put up had borrowed it from the local library and didn't return it and left it when they left.

She had no intention of taking it back to the library and proclaimed to me she would be burning it. So much for Christians doing the right thing.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I had a copy for a time. I got lost somewhere between the Seven Superuniverses and Nebadon.

If you want to listen to some Urantia Book inspired music, check out the band Deadsy:

edit on 14-9-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Well Here I go on my quest for truth....

A noble pursuit...If you genuinely seek truth, however (and not a wacky new-age cult), you would be wise to seek it elsewhere, as there is none to be found in the Urantia nonsense.

All of the dozens of 'scientific' claims made in the Urantia book have been proven to be false. Of course, the early 20th century author(s) wouldn't have known any better at the time. If a book that claims to contain "the truth" can't even get basic, testable facts about evolution, interstellar distances, and particle physics (just to name a few) correct, why would you put stock in anything it else it has to say? It claims that Mercury is tidally locked with the sun, for god's sake...

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
People treat the Urantia book as if it was ancient, it's not, it's from the nineties as far as I know.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Utnapisjtim
People treat the Urantia book as if it was ancient, it's not, it's from the nineties as far as I know.

I think it's older. As I said earlier, I used to have a copy. I think it was from the 50's or 60's. Don't quote me though.

It reminds me a lot of the Ramtha stuff or the Seth stuff. A lot of that channeled stuff sounds similar to me though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join