It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Elenin's coma size be the size of the object itself? 80,000 km

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I think that the object Elenin is roughly 80,000 km viewed on. Making it about 8-10 times the size of the earth. It is not as big as Jupiter or twice it's mass. According to current theories it could not be a brown dwarf because of it's size.

Some people speculated that it would cause a pole shift in March. It does not have the mass. Seems to be a planet. I would like to see the objects discoverer come forward a bit more.

How much does renting telescope time cost in Mayhill, NM?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmamaknows
I think....

Please cite your sources.

Obviously this is a seriously topic for those who don't dismiss it entirely, and therefor it is of the utmost importance that the scientific facts on Elenin are reinforced with reliable sources and data, where as speculative concepts and disinformation are kept explicitly separate - fear mongering thrives on turning thin air into speculative concepts, and then magically, speculative concepts into 'fact'.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The coma is just the gas/dust/ice particles blowing off the surface of the comet as it nears the Sun is it not? The inner actual object (ball of ice/rock) will be much smaller. The dust cloud extends away from the Sun in a linear fashion making the tail of the comet.

I believe it has been said that the tail/dust cloud it is leaving behind is 80000 miles long but the comet isn't that large. Unless I'm mistaken.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
All that will happen is we will probably get a good meteor shower once Earth passes through the tail.

Second line.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Elenin=Nibiru!
Within two months it will be visible to the naked eye
and i have been posting so since we joined ATS.
Not long to wait to see if we are correct.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmamaknows

Here's a "Prediction and Prophecy" for you....it predicted, back around 1996-1997, the very sort of 'hysteria' we are seeing right now:

Comet Hysteria and the Millennium:
A Commentary

Only additional nugget, there, was the upcoming change of the calendar, to Year 2000. Made the 'normal' comet craziness take on an extra degree of wild.......

edit on Sun 22 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget
Elenin=Nibiru!

I thought the consensus was Nibiru was a Brown Dwarf? If something that size was so close every amatuer astronomer in the world would be shouting from the roof-tops.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar

I think....

Obviously this is a seriously topic for those who don't dismiss it entirely, and therefor it is of the utmost importance that the scientific facts on Elenin are reinforced with reliable sources and data, where as speculative concepts and disinformation are kept explicitly separate - fear mongering thrives on turning thin air into speculative concepts, and then magically, speculative concepts into 'fact'.

What do you think about the object Elenin? I would like to hear your ideas. My opinions are offered as kinda a default position. Will the scientific community step up and speak out?

I hear silence, and then the crickets chirping.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Very interesting link! I remember the Hale Bopp fiasco well! Hysteria is right. Sadly though there will always be "Doomsdayers".

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

The consensus of the size of a brown dwarf is about 70% of the size of Jupiter on the small end. For some reason I believe this. Elenin doesn't seem to be that big. It's big compared to earth but just a bubble compared to Jupiter. 80,000 km is not massive my any means in this context.

Could it have satellites orbiting it?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Elenin=Nibiru!

I think the Russians are keeping quiet on this, too. Considering the tragedy in Japan, maybe people need a better warning. I remember when some crazed woman called Alex Jones and he said, "maam, you have been calling every day, sometimes 20-30 times a day", and he cut her off.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I too would love to see more information about the size of the comet and its coma etc

The scientists have stepped up with as much information as they can get at the moment.
astrobiology.nasa.gov...

Half a dozen comets have been the target of spacecraft missions, and all of them (even Comet Halley) are less than 10 km in diameter. There is no reason to think Elenin is any different. This means its mass is less than one billionth the mass of the Earth. Needless to say, we will not be aware of the tiny gravitational pull from Elenin

and more here
www.nasa.gov...

And here is the summary of NASA's stance on 2012 etc.
astrobiology.nasa.gov...

and from astroblog (which i realise is a biologist with an interest in astronomy) he explains the size in a rational way
astroblogger.blogspot.com...

How big is comet Elenin, then. Lots of people are claiming it is “big” for example “..when i look at the size of the orbit that this thing is huge, heavy…”. Well, orbital radius has nothing to do with the size of a comet, lots of long period comets are quite small. In the case of Elenin, it’s around 3-4 km in size, a bit smaller than Halley (6x 16 Km). We have a reasonable idea of its size from its brightness. Roughly speaking, at a given distance from the sun, the bigger an object is, the brighter its is. Of course, this also depends on how dark it is as well. Comets mess things up a bit as they are brighter than you expect from their size alone, as they are surrounded by a coma of gas and dust reflecting the light of the Sun. Now, comet Elenin is currently roughly magnitude 14, if it were the size of say, the asteroid Vesta, with a diameter of 530 Km, it would be at least magnitude 7 at its current distance. So Elenin has to be fairly small.

and a idea on how close it will get compared to other objects that got close

We’ve seen all this panic before. In 2006 Comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann came within 0.08 AU of Earth, 3 times closer than Elenin. The comet disintegrated spectacularly, and Earth passed through its tail. There were cries of doom, destruction and catastrophic earthquakes …. and nothing happened. Just as no disaster struck in 1996, 1983 (two very close comets), 1961 and so on when other, more impressive comets came closer to Earth than comet Elenin will.

and a link to some other close encounter distances
www.minorplanetcenter.net...
hope this helps.
edit on 22-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: fixed link

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81
All that will happen is we will probably get a good meteor shower once Earth passes through the tail.

Second line.

Some say it is a minnow. In effect it seems to be a whale. Anyway it is swimming toward us.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

I doubt it will have satellites orbiting it. The coma might be 80000km wide but the comets nucleus producing the coma is only estimated to be 4-5km across. Too small to have anything of any significance orbiting it.

It's going to pass by us by quite a margin even though it is seen as a near miss on a cosmic scale. It will pass closest at about 34,900,000km, in comparison the Moon is 384,403km away.

My advice is not to worry.....

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar

I think....

What do you think about the object Elenin? I would like to hear your ideas. My opinions are offered as kinda a default position. Will the scientific community step up and speak out?

I hear silence, and then the crickets chirping.

The scientific community HAS spoken out. Comet C/2010 X1 has a head diameter of approximately 4 km and definitely less than 10 km. The coma (diffuse and elongated gas cloud around it) was, at last estimate, 80,000 km long and will get bigger as the comet comes closer to the Sun.

What else is there to tell?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Elenin=Nibiru!

I thought the consensus was Nibiru was a Brown Dwarf? If something that size was so close every amatuer astronomer in the world would be shouting from the roof-tops.

The reason every amateur astronomer and everybody else cant see it now is cuz its super cold.
Wait untill it gets closer then er' body SHOULD see it

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Elenin=Nibiru!

The reason every amateur astronomer and everybody else cant see it now is cuz its super cold.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Second line.

When the tail will be pointing towards the Earth, the tail is estimated to only reach one eighth of the distance between the comet and the Earth.

We will not actually go through the tail.

The tail of a comet is very diffuse. It is a harder vacuum than we can make here on Earth. Going through it would not cause meteor showers.

If the head of the comet broke up and was on a collision course with the Earth, then we might see some meteors.

There is no chance of Comet C/2010 X1 colliding with the Earth. The closest it will come will be about 22 million km away.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
i will bet my life that elenin is nothing more than a comet and it will not physically affect us at all..

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by captainKing098

Elenin=Nibiru!

A brown dwarf is a Star. Stars, even brown dwarfs, burn and generate heat and light which would make it visible to the naked eye if it was so close. You can see Jupiter and Saturn with your eyes alone so you would certainly see a brown dwarf.

Elenin is just a comet. Nothing more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join