It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Same round for both

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I have heard of several rifles that fire pistol rounds, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. If so please say what you thought of them, because, for a survival situation, having matching rounds would seem to be the way to go, if at all possible, as it would mean that you only need to buy (or post SHTF "aquire") one type of round (though I do understand that some versitility is sacrificed).
edit on 22-5-2011 by JDBlack because: spelling

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

No experience in using one, but I've also thought that a rifle and a handgun in .357 magnum would be a great way to go. Fairly common to find, good stopping power, decent hunting power, no need to carry two kinds of ammo. Interested to see where this thread goes.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Glock 23 paired with a

Kel Tec Sub 2000

Same ammo (.40 S&W) same magazine. You can also use the following configurations.

The 9mm SUB-2000 can be configured in the following magazine types: GLK17, GLK19, S&W59, BERETTA92, SIG226.

The .40 SUB-2000 can be configured in the following magazine types: GLK22, GLK23, BERETTA96, S&W4006, SIG226.

edit on 22-5-2011 by Evil3unnie because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-5-2011 by Evil3unnie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Nice setup with the 40 S&W...

I was at a gun show last weekend, and saw a AR setup that shot 9mm handgun ammo. so thats an option as well

edit on 22-5-2011 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

I will have to look into that do you remember who made it?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil3unnie

Nah I dont... Just remember seeing it, and knowing I didnt have anywhere close enough money for it

AR platforms are expensive lol(for a poor man like myself that is)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Check this podcast out it's all about what your looking for might provide a bit of insight into what you want.

Carbine Survival Podcast

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
I have heard of several rifles that fire pistol rounds, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. If so please say what you thought of them, because, for a survival situation, having matching rounds would seem to be the way to go, if at all possible, as it would mean that you only need to buy (or post SHTF "aquire") one type of round (though I do understand that some versitility is sacrificed).
edit on 22-5-2011 by JDBlack because: spelling

There are actually quite a few to choose from but the following is something that may interest you; An AR-15 that accepts Glock 9mm or 40cal mags. This way you can not only have the same round but your rifle and pistol can both use the same magazines:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b9f49fcd4ae9.jpg[/atsimg]

Olympic Arms Inc. has more on this weapon platform if you are interested:
www.olyarms.com...

Another solid choice are the FN Five-Seven pistol and the FN PS90. The mags are of coarse not interchangeable but both firearms are chambered for 5.7 X 28mm.

FN's Five-Seven pistol and PS90 carbine are both extremely well made and very reliable firearms; something you should look into, IMO.

FNH USA

FN Five-Seven and PS-90
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d11a27f7f89d.jpg[/atsimg]

FN Five-Seven
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/21c0cdcb8ae9.jpg[/atsimg]

5.7 x 28mm
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce6177113a03.jpg[/atsimg]

L to R = 9mm .40 .45 5.7x28mm 5.56mm 7.62mm
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7554fe0b2fca.jpg[/atsimg]

Hope you find this infomation useful.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

You might also take into consideration the Taurus Judge (pistol) and the Taurus Circuit Judge (shotgun version). Both have the capacity to shoot both .410 and .45 cal rounds. The Judge (pistol) has a little kick to it, but it is certainly something that can be overcome (if I can you can). Have not yet had the opportunity to try the Circuit Judge, but from those that I know that have, say it's a nice little firearm to have around. Easy to shoot and does not tear up your shoulder.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Beretta and Walther each make a pistol caliber carbine that accepts the same magazine from their pistol cousins. Ruger used to but not sure if they still do. You could also go with a HK mp5 for a little pricey versatility
if you wanted.

Rossi/Taurus also has climbed on the tails of the successful Taurus Judge revolver. They have a neat little revolving cylinder carbine called the Circuit Judge that fires .410 shell and .45 colt cartridge.

Oh the choices. Don't forget that you can always go with a rimfire platform to suit a variety of firearms.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
In what realm are you wanting this to support?
There are arguments for both sides that I can present, I just need to know.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I would like to see if others think that going this route is practicle or not, before I make th move to it. It seems like one of those ideas that could work great on paper, but suck in reality, so mostly just curious about it. Want first hand oppinions.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

I would do it if you can consolidate a pistol and carbine to 1 caliber, and if you can have interoperability of mags, that is an even greater plus. But, that should be for interaction/engagement at 100 yards or less.
Anything past 100 yards, for greatest ballistics and accuracy, you need to step up to the rifle calibers offered.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The Beretta px/cx twins are a nice way to go.

I'm not so sure, though, that it is as practical as some think to have your rifle and sidearm in the same caliber. Truthfully speaking, in a true shtf situation, your rifle will be your primary weapon. Better range, more accurate, etc. When you go to a smaller caliber like a 9mm or a .40 sw in a rifle, you lose both range and accuracy, compared to most rifle rounds. At that point you might as well have a 12 ga., as they are a far better close range weapon than a rifle.

Your sidearm should really never be anything but a backup, or a close-range weapon, especially if you have a rifle.

Having both chambered in the same round limits usefulness. Truthfully, 90% of your ammo will be used in the rifle. So why not just limit yourself to 3-4 mags for your handgun, and invest the rest in a rifle round with better range and higher velocity? There really isnt too much difference in carrying on caliber or two.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
One more thing to add:

When talking about interchangeable mags:

Again, most of your mags will be used in your rifle, as it is your primary weapon. With interchangeable mags, chances are you will use all of the mags through the rifle, and only have the one already loaded into your handgun when it comes time to use it. So really, you arent adding any advantage by having interchangeable mags. You are actually limiting the amount of rounds your rifle can hold.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
.44 mag super black hawk(single action)..or red hawk(double action) and rifle henry big boy 44.

ar rifle...ar pistol.....same with ak/ak pistol.

you use what you want but i am not using just 1 caliber..I have a few to use for whatever the sisuation....if I buggout...well thats all taken care of...good luck in your needs and I hope you find the answers that help you....

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
its not a bad idea.120 years a go people did that all the time,a revolver in ,44-40 and a winchester rifle same round.also 32-30,now we have a lot of versatle calibers we can do that in, 30 carbine,22mag,45acp.but they(most) are all pistol calibers,cops used to have carbines in 9mm and 40, then 9/11 and poof , overnight every cop in USA has AR in 223.the cops know to take out bad guy behind car door or other barrier you have to have a real rifle round.and also the prevalence of body armour these days too.given the state of gun laws, somewhere you might be disarmed of your handgun but they might let you keep rifle but then they take all your mags because they will fit handgun ,then your screwed!!! for short range firepower get a 12ga riot gun,a hand gun is really for close emergencey self defence, and to fight your way to a long gun.i dont see how having one round for 2 guns really helps in Survival SHTF.
edit on 24-5-2011 by madokie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
have a rossi model 94 in .357 mag, highly recommend it. very accurate and good to about 150 yards with mag's, also shoots .38 special.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
No one mentioned the AK-47 and Draco pistol?

Same mags.

Same ammo.

Different size fireball.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Diversity is key!
Get many handguns in many calibers, same thing for rifles and or carbines.
Get shotguns in varying gauges 12 and 20 being US most popular Note:410 is actually a caliber but is called guage, nice snake plinker though.
Get many guns and stash em everywhere.
They can't dig em all up!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join