It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOOGLE appears to be hiding/skewing content in Search Queries!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Check this out! The largest search engine in the US is definitely a government tool. Not only does it track the user's electronic footprint as we all know, it also hides the information that it doesn't want you to know.

For example:

If you data-mine "World's Strongest Military" on Google you get search results confirming that the United States military is the strongest.

On the same token, if you data-mine "World's Strongest Military" on Baidu, China's largest search engine, it ranks the People's Liberation Army as the world leader followed by the Russian military. It puts the USA at an unfortunate third place.

I did some other searches and noted that currency and other world issues are being skewed by Google too. Is Google involved in bone fide propaganda or were these just a couple isolated incidents?

Am I alone in this experience, or have you experienced this too?

Thank you for your input.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Additionally according to Disinfo.com, Google likes to trumpet transparency and free expression, especially when it concerns the internet, part of its commitment to the corporate motto, “Don’t Be Evil.”But despite the company’s recent online public policy posts espousing unfettered online expression, we aren’t buying it.

The Mountain View, California, search and advertising giant said Wednesday, for example, that it was a “company that believes deeply in free expression” and that it was “determined to continue to do our part and make new, significant contributions to promote free expression in 2010.”

But juxtapose those and other recent statements on its public policy blog with the real facts — facts that Google won’t cough up.

We asked Google some simple questions about how much user data it turns over to the government. These are questions at the heart of free expression, especially with a company that wants you to use its operating system, its browser, its DNS servers, its search service and its e-mail and phonecalling programs.

Google, however, declined to address the question adequately.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am seriously considering completely omitting Google from my search and use tools.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AmericanProdigy

It doesn't surprise me.

Check this out. How troops every country has, according to wiki, but still....
en.wikipedia.org...
I think Iceland loses with 130 troops

edit on 22-5-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

What's a good site engine if google sux?
edit on 22-5-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Interesting wikipost...Iceland has quite the army lol!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I don't use google at all anymore...i use start page.com

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
NPR did a story on this Friday. it's search engine technology that I can't explain other than it caters to each user and their habits. it's an algorithm. I think you ca look up the story on their web site.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by i8miceb4

Good idea, I was just looking at other options, and that one did come up as a #1choice for individuals concerned for their privacy.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reason why for instant, U.S military comes up as strongest, you have obviously searched it in pure vainness,
We're so egotistic for our own good its unreal, we need to end sometime soon it will come.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I would say the best way to figure out the types of available information from sites like Google would be to use a meta search engines such as dogpile for example. You will be able to view results from many different engines including Google. That is about the best you can do to get a good mix of results. Not sure it will matter though, from my experience the whole web seems to be filtered in a way that is far from allowing freedom of expression. Cyber sleuthing is getting harder every day.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I suspect it has to do with Chinese censorship rules imposed on google as a condition of their being allowed to operate there. www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanProdigy
Check this out! The largest search engine in the US is definitely a government tool. Not only does it track the user's electronic footprint as we all know, it also hides the information that it doesn't want you to know.

For example:

If you data-mine "World's Strongest Military" on Google you get search results confirming that the United States military is the strongest.

On the same token, if you data-mine "World's Strongest Military" on Baidu, China's largest search engine, it ranks the People's Liberation Army as the world leader followed by the Russian military. It puts the USA at an unfortunate third place.

I did some other searches and noted that currency and other world issues are being skewed by Google too. Is Google involved in bone fide propaganda or were these just a couple isolated incidents?

Am I alone in this experience, or have you experienced this too?

Thank you for your input.

Isn't there a chance that "Baidu" is the one skewing the results?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
There are definitely other incidents.

There was an Associated Press article where a structural engineer who worked with FEMA came forward accusing the ASCE and subsequent investigators of a cover-up of the reasons for the WTC collapses. This guy worked on the official FEMA Report for those collapses, and said he had spent years trying to verify those conclusions with computer simulations and had only been able to refute them.

This article was pretty big news at least here on ATS when it came out, but now you'd be hard pressed to find a single source. Ironically the last one I remember still in existence was hosted by Fox News.

I know it's been mirrored and cached but Google will not return things like this. I've seen it several times for articles on different subjects. An article can cover the whole first page of results one day, and then you won't be able to find it anywhere a few weeks later.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Here's one: what about the odds of both of them skewing the results?

Why do you think Google and Facebook are so controversial in certain countries, like in China, Russia, and the Middle East?

You realize that the Egyptian and Libyan protests were arranged using Facebook and Twitter, right? And have other connections to American interests?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Here is what comes up when I run TOR.....

I get the same without TOR too...

Just thought I would add this little tid bit.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Who cares if they're skewing the results. If you're an ill informed moron, you will remain an ill informed moron, regardless of how much truth or deception is shoved in your face. I lay more blame on those who are easily manipulated, than those who are doing the manipulating.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Of course Baidu is going to say China and Russia have the strongest military its a Chinese search engine. China is a communist country and controls all media as a propaganda took to make them and their allies look good.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djdoubt03
Of course Baidu is going to say China and Russia have the strongest military its a Chinese search engine. China is a communist country and controls all media as a propaganda took to make them and their allies look good.

And the US is a capitalist country that does the same thing.

What does communism or capitalism have to do with anything? They are just words, just like their own political zealots call us "capitalist pigs" in China or Russia. But not everyone falls for it. Anyway if China is communist then that obviously hasn't stopped them from catching up to our self-destructing capitalist economy.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Here's one: what about the odds of both of them skewing the results?

Why do you think Google and Facebook are so controversial in certain countries, like in China, Russia, and the Middle East?

You realize that the Egyptian and Libyan protests were arranged using Facebook and Twitter, right? And have other connections to American interests?

Of course. My question to the OP was not worded correctly, and in no way did I mean to imply that "Google" results form a search query are somehow the standard of excellence in what is 'true'.

What I DID mean to imply is that I suspect the US Military is indeed the most powerful, most funded, or whatever the original wording was, in the world. And Google showing that as a result is as much a result of their skewing, as it is a result of it being true. I am open to being shown that isn't true, but that is my understanding. I certainly would change my perspective.

And since that is my understanding, and China very directly controls their flow of media, it would seem to imply that it is "Baidu" who is 'skewing' their results to favor a pro-China picture. Of course, in terms of nation states, 'truth' is often going to appear subjective and influenced by people's pre-conceptions and assumptions as much as by actual knowledge.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Imo a totally honest answer would be that military power does not add linearly with the number of technologies, tanks, aircraft carriers or foot soldiers. All it could take is one weapon, or even just going to war for immoral reasons, to alter the reality of how these things actually play out. So I think both sides are skewing things when they definitively state x is "better" than y. In either case it's just your typical nationalism. Afghanistan's military doesn't rank anywhere near the top and yet one could argue they are successfully fighting the US military. So did the Viet Cong.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by i8miceb4
I don't use google at all anymore...i use start page.com

I stopped using google a long time ago. I use dogpile.com. Sets one cookie, and does not record your IP.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join