It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ELEnin Dwarf Star Warning September 26, 2011 - Make Viral!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ellieN

A brown dwarf is about the size of Jupiter and also gives off its own heat, although very low, about 4,500 degrees, maybe a little more. They are hard to find at great distances, like light yrs, because of such low surface temperatures. I am sure that something that huge coming in our solar system just beyond Jupiter would be seen very easily, with its own shine.

Brown dwarves are even colder than that -

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Thank you....Hope this helps others, who are really afraid, to see there is no giant object coming toward us.

My Uncle is also one who does not believe what is being told to us is the truth. I will just be glad when Elenin is gone, but then there is still 2012 to go. SIGH..

edit on 25-5-2011 by ellieN because: needed Punctuation

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ellieN

According to all the orbital predictions, we ought to be passing through the comet's path shortly after it's pass outwards back into the black. Because of that, we MAY have a pretty spectacular meteor show. It depends on how bad it's shedding at that point. All the meteor showers we have now are cause by passing through the detrius cloud left in the wake of various comets, so it could be pretty, but probably not overly dangerous. You might want to get ready for the gloom and doom onslaught if that occurs, since spectacular meteor showers have generally been accompanied by "end of the world" predictions and scenarios as well, none of which have so far come to pass.

I mean, we're STILL here in spite of them, right?

I also have a question which may sound odd, but WHY are people in this thread spelling "Elenin" as "ELEnin"?

Caps key getting stuck?

edit on 2011/5/25 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I know the first 3 are for Extinction Level Event...ELE ..don't know about the last 3. I'm sure someone on here can tell us.
Can't wait for the debris shower, that could be spectacular to see.!!!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ellieN

I know the first 3 are for Extinction Level Event...ELE ..don't know about the last 3. I'm sure someone on here can tell us.

The NIN is short for "ninny," like the people who think the first three letters of Elenin stand for "Extinction Level Event."

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by ellieN

The NIN is short for "ninny," like the people who think the first three letters of Elenin stand for "Extinction Level Event."

Haha
So that is what it is......

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

=Don't rely on the info we are getting for or against this event...if Money, Power, or even World control are involved !...We Don't know...this Could be a ploy or (scare tactic) to get TPTB the type of world control....Why Tell the population don't worry its only a comet..Not overly impressive one at that...then Allow the jpl orbital info to be so widely viewed?
No doubt this planet and its occupants are way more important to some outside forces than we give credit...Take A break from it..or "leave it alone for a week or two" as my father used to say.
Earth changes maybe as things are volatile...ELE..Unlikely.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
nevermind
edit on 25-5-2011 by meggiddo2012 because: cant get image i want.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ellieN

Can't wait for the debris shower, that could be spectacular to see.!!!

I thought it had something to do with Trent Reznor being the Antichrist - they did name one of the baddies in Super Mario World after him - they were trying to tell us something!! and he has 4 heads!!!

before someone attacks me, this is just my theory

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

This is not from a government site:

It doesn't look like much now — just a tiny, 19th-magnitude smudge tucked away in southwestern Virgo — but a newly discovered comet could become something special 10 months from now.

Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1) made its debut on December 10th when Leonid Elenin, an observer in Lyubertsy, Russia, remotely acquired four 4-minute-long images using an 18-inch (45-cm) telescope at the ISON-NM observatory near Mayhill, New Mexico. Follow-up images by Aleksei Sergeyev and Artyom Novichonok at Maidanak Observatory in Uzbekistan revealed more about the new find: it had a teardrop-shaped, very diffuse coma just 6 arcseconds across and a tiny tail.
www.skyandtelescope.com...

Later observations have confirmed it is a "wimp" of a comet:

Best guesstimates now suggest that Comet Elenin's total brightness might peak near magnitude 6 in mid-September — a nice binocular object — presuming that it survives its dash through perihelion just 45 million miles (0.48 astronomical unit) from the Sun.

Meanwhile, you have my permission to ignore or refute any of the wacky postings about the supposed danger posed by Comet Elenin. All this nonsense seems to have started back in January, when edge-of-reality blogger Laura Knight Jadczyk made provocative warnings — all based on information from a member of her research team who's "an astronomer at a large observatory". (Yea, right.) It's not even worth giving you a link to her ramblings.

www.skyandtelescope.com...

More recent observations, seem to return to the original prediction of a naked-eye object, at least briefly:

Comet C/2010 X1 (Elenin) is becoming one of the most observed long-period comets. At the moment, the overall number of CCD camera observations is approaching 1300, while the number of CCD observations of comet C/1996 B2 (Hyakutake) never exceeded 1000. Of course, for the most part that reflects the growth and accessibility of modern CCD cameras. I have underscored this fact for the conspiracy theorists who are saying that Comet Elenin is impossible to see in the sky and all its observations are being kept secret. Of course that is not the case, but let’s return to news about the comet.

On the basis of quality estimates of the comet’s brightness, the photometric model of comet C/2010 X1 (Elenin) has been revised by Artem Novichonok. According to the new prediction, the comet may reach a brightness of mag. 4 near perihelion, and that is without accounting for the effect of forward scattering, when the comet is directly between the Earth and the Sun. Tiny icy dust particles will scatter light passing through them, and the comet’s brightness, which we can observe on images taken by SOHO’s space coronagraph, will increase. The comet could reach mag. 0 or even brighter! True, such a sharp increase in brightness will be very brief, and when the comet comes out of conjunction with the Sun and we can see it in the morning sky, its brightness will have already returned to mag. 4-4.5. The comet will remain visible to the unaided eye until the beginning of November.

50kview.blogspot.com...

(the "nin" is for "Nine Inch Nails," no?)

edit on 26-5-2011 by jdub297 because: sp

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

People with really good eyes can see to magnitude 6 in dark skies. Those same people can see to about magnitude 9 in the blackess of space, without an atmosphere to meddle with the light. Most of us can see magnitude 4, in fairly dark skies, so we'll be able to see it ok for a little while. I was a little surprised at that. I thought it would be brighter at it's closest approach to Earth after perihelion, just because of the proximity. I guess it really IS pretty wimpy as comets go.

I remember Huykatake well. Some friends and I went out to a dark place on our lunch hour around 2 am one morning, and you could see the comet and it's tail, which covered about 90 degrees of sky. It was pretty spectacular. Sounds like Elenin won't even begin to approach that, and probably won't even shed enough debris for a decent meteor shower.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
On every picture I have seen, Mr Elenin is a Caucasian of average height!

Hardly a brown dwarf.

(can you even say dwarf these days? I thought you had to say vertically challenged).

edit on 29/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I found an NDE (Near Death Experience) article that tells of massive destruction caused by a passing celestial body. I don't know how authentic the source is but it sounds a lot like what ELEnin might do!! It's worth checking out his story.

A large mass passed me, larger then any of the planets known to me, and as it passes, I see the Earth wobble wildly as would a top toward the end of its spin. The rotation stopped and slowly started again but it was tilted now and I was drawn in closer like the zoom of a lens. The ash clouds that had engulfed the Earth thinned, and like a tack welded piece of metal being dismantled, I could see the ocean bodies starting to rise - first the Pacific along the "Ring of Fire", then the others, synchronistical....

Source

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I have a few wishes in regards to this comet....

1. I wish people knew how space worked, not so much the space part. but the Axis part... how drawing a straight line doesn't mean anything in space.

2. I with Elenin was named Smith (comet smith is so much more appealing)

3. I wish they didn't sell telescopes at wal-mart...

seriously, enjoy the show! Nothing will happen and you will get to see something amazing once in a lifetime... just enjoy it!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
No such alignments occurred.

The Comet is coming in at 4 degrees off the plane of the planets (including Earth). As such, you cannot draw a straight line through the comet, the Earth and the Sun because they don't line up and haven't lined up so far and probably won't actually line up in the near future.

this would seem to be an inaccurate statement, and after seeing it repeated by quite a few members, I decided to look for this info myself...

as you can clearly see from JPL and Wikipedia, the inclination is actually 1.839490121004523°(JPL) and 1.839°(wiki)
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
en.wikipedia.org...

now how does this compare to the rest of the solar bodies orbiting Sol??? good question...

Name Inclination to ecliptic
Mercury 7.01°
Venus 3.39°
Earth 0°
Mars 1.85°
Jupiter 1.31°
Saturn 2.49°
Uranus 0.77°
Neptune 1.77°

well well well, look at that...

Comet Elenin actually is actually closer to Earth's ecliptic plane than any of the inner planets.

seems to me that all these claims that an alignment is impossible are complete garbage and disinformation

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
LOL, I see Leonid has a "What if Elenin was a brown dwarf" video on his site, showing what would have happened IF it was a brown dwarf, with a mass of 0.05M☉. We can see that Saturn's and Jupiter's orbits would have been highly perturbed

spaceobs.org...

edit on 6/6/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by kalisdad

Originally posted by kalisdad
as you can clearly see from JPL and Wikipedia, the inclination is actually 1.839490121004523°(JPL) and 1.839°(wiki)
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
en.wikipedia.org...

now how does this compare to the rest of the solar bodies orbiting Sol??? good question...

Name Inclination to ecliptic
Mercury 7.01°
Venus 3.39°
Earth 0°
Mars 1.85°
Jupiter 1.31°
Saturn 2.49°
Uranus 0.77°
Neptune 1.77°

well well well, look at that...

Comet Elenin actually is actually closer to Earth's ecliptic plane than any of the inner planets.

seems to me that all these claims that an alignment is impossible are complete garbage and disinformation

Well, "actually" out of all the planets Earth and Mercury are the farthest off (well that and Pluto, don't want to forget Pluto).

An orbital inclination to Earth's ecliptic of 1.839°, as according to Wiki info, makes this closer to all the other planets than to Earth's, excluding Mercury and Pluto (if you were to do the math). To be fair I should point out that the alignment of each planet's orbital plane changes over time except for Earth's as this remains 0°. If you understand the mechanics of these motions you will easily see why this is significant. Earth's Moon is on a counter-clockwise rotation taking 18.6 years to complete and Venus is clockwise taking 1215 years, if I remember correctly. But none of this matters anyway because what we are interested in is a solar transit with Earth.

A solar transit is when an object's orbital node crosses during and inferior conjunction with Earth (alignment with the Sun). Venus and Mercury transit in front of the Sun, as seen from Earth, periodically and so does our Moon. When the Moon does this we have a solar eclipse.

Venus transited the Sun back in June, 2004 and will do it again in June 2012. When this happened in '04 we were able to measure a tail of ions from Venus that reached Earth. If a comet were to have both a node crossing and an inferior conjunction with Earth at the same time it would transit the Sun and we could see some debris from its tail if we were close enough and/or the tail was long enough. I think this is what people screaming doom and gloom are attempting to point out but fail to do so out of ignorance for this subject.
edit on 6/6/2011 by Devino because: content and spelling

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
LOL, I see Leonid has a "What if Elenin was a brown dwarf" video on his site, showing what would have happened IF it was a brown dwarf, with a mass of 0.05M☉. We can see that Saturn's and Jupiter's orbits would have been highly perturbed

Indeed, I believe he may have gotten the idea from me as I posted a very similar video just a few days before. I found that even a minimum mass brown dwarf (13 MJ) would significantly perturb Saturn's orbit as it approached:
www.youtube.com...
Just the last few months alone of perturbation by Elenin would throw it out of position by 3.8 arcminutes, yet when I performed astrometry on Saturn from an observation I made of it just days ago it was exactly where it should have been (12h 42m 29.63s, -01d 43' 23.1):
flickr.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

(can you even say dwarf these days? I thought you had to say vertically challenged)

Shetland people?

*ducks*

And people, NIN in ELENIN is Nibiru Is Near, duh.

edit on 6/6/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Devino

from what I have read, the orbital inclinations of our solar system are based on Earth's orbit around the sun...

that is why the Earth alone maintains a 0° inclination throughout its orbit. The other planets in our solar system are inclinded as I posted above based on Earth's orbit. and again I point out that the inclination of Elenin is the closest to Earth's compared to the inner planets...

Elenin =1.839°
Mercury=7.01°
Venus =3.39°
Earth= 0°
Mars =1.85°

my only point in stating this, is to correct all the people saying that there is a 4° inclination when clearly based on both JPL and Wiki, that number is actually only 1.84°

Edit: and for the record, no, I do not believe that Elenin is a star of any kind....
edit on 6-6-2011 by kalisdad because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join