It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Iceland eruption

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
View of the eruption column from the North, this was before it began to spread out laterally and reach the upper limits currently placed at 15km by the VAAC

twitpic.com...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I don't know if this is of use to anyone it is a link to the aviation data that is being shown now.

you will have to click the link as I have no idea on how to imbed images

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD
View of the eruption column from the North, this was before it began to spread out laterally and reach the upper limits currently placed at 15km by the VAAC

twitpic.com...

Oh Yes! In the words of Bob Hoskins : 'There's been an eruption'

Good pic, thanks.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Lol certainly has been, those campers next to the river have a good view of it but I bet they'll be moving soon enough once the ash begins to fall. The mountains in the distance have already been blacked out by the ash fall-out. What your seeing isn't the eruption itself but the underlying eruption column, think of it as looking under a thunderstorm cloud with the anvil spreading out above you. Albeit the 'core' of this storm is stationary and continually pumping more energy into the storm as the anvil overhead continually grows outwards all across the horizon with the sky getting increasingly darker as the sunlight gets less-so.

Anyone ever caught under a ash-cloud can tell you its a daunting experience, especially one of this nature that's towering 46,000ft above you and likely to collapse in on itself.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Here's Katla webcam - Hekla web cam isn't working, evidently.

Just so we can keep an eye out

www.ruv.is...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This volcano is situated in the middle of nowhere. It usually takes a puff every five years or so. When it does, its a small and short thing. The volcano itself is pretty big. So, it is capable of a pretty big eruption. What happens now is not easy to predict. Odds are this is only a brief thing.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
here we go again it's like weve already had a primer,, eye ball hole in socket

very big plume in deed, any way of getting thermals??

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nidstav

Actually if u read up on the history of katla ,,,it blew,, the rest long overdue, that was the pattern.

And why is the water not flowing anymore, looks like it is begining too (damn?) up.
edit on 21-5-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD

twitpic.com...

OMG

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
live.mila.is...

completely black... hope those campers got out of there.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
live.mila.is...

there are 3 new web cams now, but they are not working yet.

the last three on the list are the newest

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Yep, ash isn't the kind of thing you want to be breathing in and easily clogs vehicle radiators such as those camper-vans it looks like they were. Looking at the SouthWest side of the island near Katla its still relatively light for the time of night, compared to the center of the island under the ash-fall. www.ruv.is...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I have started up a thread that i will be updating with latest information from Iceland. You are all welcome to join it and share your information you get from the english media.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also a small update for you, those campers that were there stayed near vatnajökull last night and they left the area around 12 noon today so they are safe. There were about 200 people around the glacier once the eruption started and so far we have been reporting that everyone got off the glacier and everyone is fine.

No disrespect to the author of this thread but if you want information from the source you can come over if you want.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Here some news from the newspaper icenews: Iceland volcano ‘not Eyjafjallajokull’

Posted on21 May 2011. Tags: Eyjafjallajokull, grimsvotn, Iceland, volcano

Read more: www.icenews.is...

Iceland volcanic eruption ‘not linked to the end of the world’

Read more: www.icenews.is...

I hope to find more!

Iceland volcano erupting

www.icenews.is...
edit on 21-5-2011 by ni91ck because: Found more

en.vedur.is...
edit on 21-5-2011 by ni91ck because: and more info

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Some interesting info - looks like we just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the live cam links!

"The ash in Eyjafjallajokull was persistent or unremitting and fine-grained," Einarsson said. "The ash in Grimsvotn is more coarse and not as likely to cause danger as it falls to the ground faster and doesn't stay as long in the air as in the Eyjafjallajokull eruption."

Whether widespread disruption occurs again will depend on how long the eruption lasts, how high the ash plume rises and which way the wind blows.

The volcano also erupted in 1998, 1996 and 1993. The eruptions have lasted between a day and several weeks.

source

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Are there no more updates on this? The other threads on the topic seem dead as well.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The eruption is still ongoing and the Icelanders will be sending recon flights again, if not already, to the Volcano for scientific measuring. The jokulsarlon got hit by the ash-fall overnight leaving the pure-white ice floes completely blackened this morning.
live.mila.is...

Newest VAAC showing updates on the flight-levels affected.
www.metoffice.gov.uk...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

wow. look at that. and those campers are still there too.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14e1addb34fd.jpg[/atsimg]

live.mila.is...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

It was a group of scouts not campers, and they left grímsvötn around 5 hours before the tremors started, they had stayed the night near there the night before , not this current night.

Here´s a link to a story confirming that
once again this is in Icelandic so google translate might come in handy.
feeds.mbl.is...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
We are closing down our airspace at 08:30.
There´s a special news broadcast that is happening at 12 noon about the event.
There´s been a video released from the flight last night to the area in which it shows the lightnings.
The eruption was seen as far away as from reykjarvík.
And there´s loads and loads of reports coming out.

But the moderators seem to be ignoring me. Im still just waiting a single reply from them.
They closed down my thread and censord some of my posts and don´t even have the curtesy to respond to me.

Im seriusly loosing my faith that the moderators even care about getting real information out there.

(And yes i know that my last statement could be twisted against me.)
Golfclap on the idea though

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join