It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Iceland eruption

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Here some more nems from Icenews:

Volcanic ash falling on Icelandic towns

Posted on22 May 2011. Tags: ash, grimsvotn, Iceland, volcano

A lot of ash has been falling around the Vatnajokull glacier and nearby towns this evening. It is expected to continue through the night and maybe into tomorrow, according to Icelandic Met Office geologist, Hjorleifur Sveinbjornsson. The ash is much coarser than that which came from Eyjafjallajokull last year.

Read more: www.icenews.is...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I couldn't find the awesome new footage from sky news which shows a huge eruption and lightning but this one is from ITN News

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Anyone else notice that whirpool in the sea...

Its on the live cam the op posted at the start of the thread..
Maybe its just me but it seems to be spining. Anyone varify?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I have to admit yet AGAIN the BBC have had sh.t for brains covering this. The biggest eruption plume since Hekla 1947, one of the biggest in Grimsvotn's 100-year recorded history and just because flights aren't being affected domestically the BBC are 'poo-poo'ing' this as nothing significant. For christ sakes who the hell employs these people in deciding what news we should/shouldn't be hearing. Any news is NEWS

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Some pictures from air and ground, videos and other related information in this thread: www.pprune.org...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
visir.is
mbl.is
ruv.is
dv.is
vedur.is

Use google chrome it has a built in translating device, it´s not a great translator but you should get the main idea from what you are reading.

Been sitting infront of the computer for 14 hours now , 8 hours just waiting on a responce from a moderator but clearly im not even worth the responce.

Gonna tell you how this happent and you can decide for yourself , atleast the few who read this before they do the "off topic post thingy" I put up a thread one hour after this thread got made, but before i did i researchd this thread and the other one the moderator had the nerve to refer me after he closed mine down.

The thread i was referd to has a news paper clip from msnbcn, and a link to there story. And the author saying there have been no casualties without even saying where he got that information as it clearly doesn´t say so in the link he provided, and he also includes a picture from 2004 and says, I imagine the eruption looks something like this,, That´s all he posts. nothing more,,

Clearly a well thought out thread he made there , and he clearly is updating it with the newest information.

Im not going to say anything bad about this thread except it´s short and just another quick thread made to beat the others. But also you won´t gain anything by looking at Jökulsárlón through the Mila.is feed except for ash coverd ice as that´s pretty far away from the eruption and the water comes out in another area.

These guys that made these threads are from UK and TEXAS , they get there news from there media.
Yet im just suposed to shut down my thread and contribute all i have to it and all the other information to the two other threads. And let´s just ignore that im from iceland i speak icelandic i understand icelandic and i can update my thread with all the newest icelandic news just as they arrive. But instead i should contribute to two other threads made by people who didn´t even research the event, just made a thread in a hurry and that´s it.Find the logic in this.

I can understand this with threads that have been up for days. But not threads made within 1 hour of each other.

The system that you are using is supporting poorly made threads with little to no information and the reward goes to the quickest typer even if his topic is way off post. Find the logic in that

Now why should i spend all my time making some other guys thread that he thought about for 2 minutes better when it´s pretty clear that i could provide you with much better information in a well put up thread. As i was trying to do.

You are rewarding spam posts, spam threads, good job on that.

Also it took a moderator about 10 minutes to shut down my thread and direct me to the "I imagine the eruption looks like this" thread after i posted on it. Yet i have allready reported that thread as this thread was the first one and by the rule you used to close down my thread.. FIRST COME FIRST SERVED. , it´s still up ,allthough i reported it 6-7 hours ago.

It´s honestly no wonder no one ever finds anything on this site as you reward spam ,, who can find anything in all this spam.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Look at the simulation from the last 2 days from the weather...looks great!!!

www.yr.no...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I understand your pain, but just for the record I conducted Seismic & volcanological field studies in not just Iceland but also Campi Flegri in the Napoli area so I have my sources outside the MSM area and know the data i'm looking at. I'm familiar with Icelandic terms in it being the 'hotspot neighbour' next to the UK (lets face it any field volcanologist in the UK right now has itchy fingers to be getting on the next avaliable flight out there.)
Why i'm having to justify creating my own thread when I was the one calling the shots the second the initial phreatomagmatic eruption was underway is beyond me, but that's ATS users for you. Only interested in Stars and Flags than sharing information.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Lets hope this one disrupts travel for a while, unlike the last one that hardly disrupted anything at all.
No, three weeks of closed airports across Europe was NOT a disruption. Everything kept on ticking along nicely for civilisation, to the detriment of Earth.
Wouldn't it be good to see, say, ten or twelve years of no aircraft, worldwide? I think so.
Civilisation needs to be shown that it is NOT important. That it does NOT mean anything at all. That the planet is here regardless of human wants and needs and the travel plans/frieght movements of civilisation get put on hold whenever the planet sees fit to do so.
When Eyjafallojokull (spelt off the top of my head so shut your neck with the spell check, ok) erupted I seen an idiot on tv actually say "how can something like this have happened?"! And he was serious.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ni91ck

So, at about 22 second mark that's the eruption then is it ? Very good image

I think in the interests of information and sharing that information Spacedman should just join this thread more with his contributions .

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Seismic recorders measuring less frequency in quakes, but a pattern emerging of consistent 'swarms' of upper +3 magnitudes before settling back down again.
First onto the lesser frequency registering, this is indicative that the outpouring has become more consistent and the magma found a substantial channel in which to emerge. This is normal for Grimsvotn and indicative that the eruption is well and truly underway, whats interesting however is the spikes either side of the 'settling down' trend. Their magnitude is indicative of possible fissure fracturing from magmatic migration, either indicative that channelling is underway under the volcano leading me to think the volume being ejected is less density than its inert pressure under the ice sheet. If the trend continues I wouldn't be too surprised to see a secondary vent forming up on the flank of Grimsvotn, if not already as indicative from sparser ash-fall clouds recorded by recon flights lateral to the vertical eruption column.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Here comes the ash clouds again!!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Announcement from Rúv in english.

www.ruv.is...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by manontrial

Yes, no air travel for 10 to 12 years, what a fantastic idea....

I have a gf in New Zealand for 6 months, it would be nice to see her again before Im 40...

And catching a boat to the US from the UK, I'd never get the time off work for that trip!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47
Am i the only person that opened this with no thoughts on rapture in one's mind? I was like oh, this is interesting news then all i read is rapture comments. /me shakes head.

I agree. That happens when people doesn't have anything intelligent to say. It's just the hungry pack of hyenas.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Here is a beautiful vid from someone who video taped it in a plane.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

This is the video I was talking about amazing and with lightning near the end. Its on the Daily telegraphs site www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Seismographs indicate fluid movement now making its way through the vent of Grimsvotn, indicating the ash-cloud should be less silica concentrated as seen with Eyjafjallajokull. Another saving grace is that this also indicates minimal exerted forces seen on the glacier, meaning in laymans terms the venting seen from this eruption is using the same weakening fissure as the 2004 eruption on the caldera. This should minimise impacts along the southern coastal roads from floodings.

www.sat24.com...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Flying from Denmark to the Netherlands on Sunday next week. Really keeping my fingers crossed we're not having to go through these terrible flight disruptions again.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Source (Morgunbladid)

They say that this eruption is more intense but will last for a shorter amount of time than last year.

I'm not currently anywhere near that area but this might affect my flight plans so I'm concerned..

Star & Flag
edit on 22/5/2011 by Mystic Technician because: Edited to add and fix

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join