It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a filament be used to make a fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Could a light filament be used to create a fire, if it is on, has no bulb on it, and has flammable chemicals sprayed on it.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
My first instinct is to say yes.

I would use a great deal of caution though. You could get more response than you expect.

From the way I understand your question, you would break a working bulb, a burned out filiment would be useless, and spray some flamible material onto it while you energize it with electricity. This would most likely produce a flash flame front; which could be used to light some other material which you would expect to burn for a longer period of time.

Again, take every precaution you can before doing this. I would suggest the best precaution is to "NOT DO IT" if ther is any other possible alternative to lighting a fire.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by locololo
Could a light filament be used to create a fire, if it is on, has no bulb on it, and has flammable chemicals sprayed on it.

No need to disassemble light bulbs, but sure it could be. Wouldn't last long without an inert gas around it though; the oxygen would burn it up in an instant, so it would be a one-shot deal.

You can do the same thing w/ a 9V battery and steel wool.
edit on 21-5-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: add

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Yes but you need to use tinder, not wet the filiment, but its not going to work every time..
so its a bit of a hit or miss.
but if you have a car battery you can just touch the cables off the power and use the sparks to ignite tinder.
basicly anything under about 9 volts wont make hot enough sparks to ignite most things.
but there is always exceptions if you know chemistry and what low flash point liquids to use.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by locololo

Just realized this was posted in Weaponry and Tactics.

You wouldn't be looking into making a booby-trapped light bulb would you, one where it ignites when the lamp is turned on?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
directorblue.blogspot.com...

This is alot safer! Mains shocks are nasty, I had 2 in a year!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

You wouldn't be looking into making a booby-trapped light bulb would you, one where it ignites when the lamp is turned on?

yeah,,DONT DO THAT..!

a friend thought it would be kool if his family's yard light (that comes on at dusk) would be fun if he drilled a hole in it, and filled it with gasoline...... FLYING GLASS was breaking other windows accross the street...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

thanks, but I was hoping that it could be used several times.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Don't worry, it was more of a combination project for both weaponry, and shtf. I am working on what would be like a flamethrower, except small and very portable, not to mention it can be used to cool as well as burn.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

reply to post by darrman

Don't worry, it was more of a combination project for both weaponry, and shtf. I am working on what would be like a flamethrower, except small and very portable, not to mention it can be used to cool as well as burn.

If you are 12 or have the experience of a 12 year old: please don't do this!
you have little idea the explosive/flammable potential in common gasoline vapors.

As stated above once exposed to air the tungsten filament melts rapidly.you need a common automotive spark plug and a high voltage source(moreDanger!!!) (an ignition coil,a battery and some kind of switch)or a piezo type grill igniter look into "potato guns"

.ONCE AGAIN GASOLINE VAPORS TRAVEL RATHER FAR ALONG LOW POINTS! If you play withitin the in the basement; vapors will travel along the floor to the open burning pilot light in your homes gas water heater or furnace and.... wait for it "VOOP"! no more skin.Lotsof pain...Quit it while you've still got eyebrows!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

As to your worries about the testing place, I have an open barren, spot that has nothing for it to burn, except a target, besides I am planning on using weaker chemicals, not gasoline.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
SWIM has used christmas light bulbs as electric igniters for years.The small ones with the small bead of glass at the end,clip off bead with wire cutter,file opening larger on diamond lap stone,fill with fffg or finely ground smokeless cap with crazy glue.You can add some fine Al powder to give it a little pop instead of flame but use caution when mixing because the friction of the Al could ignite the gun powder.ignites with dc voltage

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Reusable,Ah,di-chromate wire,I think thats what its called,tear open a hair dryer and the coils that are used for the heat element .when dc voltage is applied it will glow red the shorter the pc of wire and the more V the quicker it gets hot a few tips :it can't be soldered ,don't twist the ends around at terminal because will short,straighten the wire ,works rather good with as little as 9 V

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Is it possible to be used for several times?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by zirazira

Is it possible to be used for several times?

that's what i was asking, the only idea i had was set up a button so that it is heated for a lond as you use it.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

The presence of O2 in the air causes the filament to oxidize and burn out; that's why normally inert noble gasses are pumped into incandescent light bulbs to replace the oxygen; no O2, no burn out. One shot only in oxygen.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

yeah,,DONT DO THAT..!

a friend thought it would be kool if his family's yard light (that comes on at dusk) would be fun if he drilled a hole in it, and filled it with gasoline...... FLYING GLASS was breaking other windows accross the street...

It really plays hell inside a table lamp.

top topics

join