It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oakland-based Family Radio sees donations soar as 'Judgment Day' approaches

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Oakland-based Family Radio sees donations soar as 'Judgment Day' approaches

www.mercurynews.com

Judgment Day is fabulous for business.

Just ask Family Radio, the evangelical nonprofit that has plastered billboards and driven vans across the Bay Area and the world proclaiming the end of the world will be Saturday. The Oakland-based nonprofit has raised more than $100 million over the past seven years, according to tax returns. It owns 66 radio stations across the globe and was worth more than $72 million in 2009.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Family Radio is a group that is predicting the Rapture and subsequent End Times beginning May 21, 2011

There has already been some discussion on this phenomenon on other ATS threads, but I found this story interesting and important because it focuses on the financial aspects of the group promoting this idea.

Just look at those numbers! This church is rolling in it! I had no idea such a thing was even possible outside of mainline churches. I'd never even heard of these people a week ago.

This financial aspect is a major part of the story and one that is not being focused on.

Essentially what is happening is this church is preying on the fears and paranoia of people (yes all churches do this to some extent lol), some of whom have even given their entire life savings and everything.

What will happen when they wake up tomorrow and nothing happens?

This is evil stuff, IMHO.

www.mercurynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I'm sure they have kept track of all the donations and will return the money when the rapture does not happen.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
It bugs the hell out of me that some people can be so gullible and actually give there money to this man. Surely he can't get away with it!? I can't wait to hear his excuses when it does not happen, but to be honest, will he really care? Its obvious that all he cares about is money, and does not really care how he gets it.

It would not suprise me if he does not believe in God at all.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
if people are dumb enough to give away there money you have to take it
2nd

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

All of this stinks to High Heaven,as it were. Why, if they are predicting the end of world, why would they even be taking donations of any kind? If these people who are part of this movement believe that they will be taken away during Rapture then you won't be needing any Green Backs,right? Or maybe the money is supposed to go those left behind who support church? For what purpose,if they are damned and the world is supposed to be destroyed anyway?

This reminds of the Heaven's Gate debacle where each person had money tucked their shirt to pay for the Cosmic 'bus' ride after they gulped down their dosed apple sauce.

Doesn't make sense in my book.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
"Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash..."

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I was wondering the same ... their ads is everywhere .. even here in Quebec Canada
i got one in downtown montreal just beside my work place .. i see it each day after parking my car lol

and its a huge automatic one
JUDGMENT DAY MAY 21 .. SCREAM TO THE LORD LOUDLY
with their website adress famillyradio.com

maybe the donation is to paid for all the ads they have put worldwide

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Anybody who thinks that Family Radio is in it for the money is ignorant. There has not been a single time in Harold Camping's videos in the past 2 weeks that he asked for donations. He really believes that "this is going to happen" and is doing everything he can via advertising and speaking to spread the word. Simply put, if nothing happens on the 21st, Family Radio is done.

Money is the least of their worries.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I read on the net. all good christians go to heaven, The rest get to fight the Zombies, lol If it were true, what would the church want donations for they cant spend it in heaven, crock of # if you ask me.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
Anybody who thinks that Family Radio is in it for the money is ignorant. There has not been a single time in Harold Camping's videos in the past 2 weeks that he asked for donations. He really believes that "this is going to happen" and is doing everything he can via advertising and speaking to spread the word. Simply put, if nothing happens on the 21st, Family Radio is done.

i think the same

but for harold camping .. he have made another prediction in the past that didnt happen
familly radio didnt die of that false prediction

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Somehow "$72 million net worth" plus "not in it for the money" does not compute. Sorry.

It is quite possible these people are completely sincere with one part of their mind, and greedy moneygrubbers with the other. Don't underestimate the power of the human mind to partition itself into completely seperate halves, with different aims and goals. George Orwell wrote about that in his book "1984." He called it "doublethink," as you may know.

People are most convincing when they believe something themselves. People have the ability to actually trick themselves into believing their own lies to be more effective convincers. Their belief in such cases seems completely sincere, even to (actually, especially to) themselves....but in another, hermetically sealed, secret little corner of their mind, they can carry out all sorts of Machiavellian schemes. They are not actually "lying" because they *do* believe what they are selling...sort of.

This goes on all the time in politics and religion.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I can't believe i just read this! come on! Its so obvious he is doing this for the money. Whats the worst that can happen to him. The day comes and goes, but he will have the money not to worry about what people think. In fact, if he is so sure that the world is going to end, then why is he asking for money? Why does it always involve money.

Why doesn't he give his money away if he is worried about the people, like he says he is. It annoys the hell out of me that there are people out there who are so gullible and stupid when it comes to things like this!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
If they are not in it for the money and are a non-profit making oganisation, the Real Christian thing to do would be to donate all those millions to a worthwhile charity.

They claim to be Christian, it is the right thing to do.

What is the betting that, after the rapture does not happen, they will keep the money for themselves.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Sounds like they know how 2 make a ton of $$$$$ on this. Why would they need donations if they are gonna be raptured???? Maybe god's credit card payments are due.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Like I,said before,FALSE WITNESS,FALSE WITNESS! ONLY GOD KNOWS THE TIME DATE AND HOUR.So,world,its been going on for a long time and will keep happening,until it really happens.So,my friends,just be ready,because we don't know when it will happen.But Jesus did say,watch for the signs,they will be there.So,since 1948,things are coming to past,Jesus said look up and be ready.But don't set dates,hour or time,that is God almighty's job.Everyone needs to go back and reread the gospels and the bible,the truth is there.Man kind is telling it wrong,Not even the angels,or Jesus knows the time.

Mark 13:32 "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Acts 1:7 He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.

This song keeps coming across my mind.about people why they go to church.Do,you really know why you are there? Search your heart,good works and being just good,won't get you into heaven.As for the money part,I,posted it on the facebook article.

We are tithe,but do it the way Jesus said to do it.
The tithe first appears in Genesis 14:20 where Abram gave to Melchizedek of tithe of all. This passage tells us nothing else about whether this was what God expected or what we should emulate. In Genesis 28:22, Jacob made a promise to God to give a tithe if God brought him back to the land. The tithe appears again in the law where God gave to the Levites the tithes of the Israelites and gave to the priests the tithe of the Levites (Numbers 18:21-26). God also commanded a tithe for the support of celebration (Deuteronomy 14:23-29).

In Malachi 3:8, the passage most often quoted on the subject, God tells the Israelites that they have robbed Him in their tithes and offerings. In the New Testament, the tithe is not commanded, unless the reference in Matthew 23:23 & Luke 11:42 is seen as an indirect command.

Though the New Testament teaches much on giving, it is strangely silent concerning the tithe. Thus, passages such as Romans 12:13, 20; 1 Corinthians 13:3; 16:2; 2 Corinthians 8 & 9; Galatians 6:6, 10; Ephesians 4:28; Philippians 4:14-19; 1 Timothy 5:17-18; 6:17-19; Titus 3:1, 8; Hebrews 13:16; James 2:14-16; I John 3:17-18 give us a great deal of instruction on giving, yet without ever mentioning the tithe.
I think the answer is in who we are. Once we come to Christ, we die to the law (Romans 7) and we become a new creation, the first part of the eternal state God will create. As such, we die to the old creation and we are no longer under law. We are now simply His servants, responsible as stewards to do His will, answerable to Him for every action we take, and every dollar that He brings into our possession. Some of those dollars should be used to support ourselves (2 Thessalonians 3:12). That is where Paul begins with those who are not working. They should work and eat their own bread. Then, we should work to support our families. Paul tells us that if we do not support our families, we are worse than an infidel (1 Timothy 5:8). Then we should work to support others in need (Ephesians 4:28). We should support God's ministers (1 Corinthians 9:9-14; Philippians 4:18; 1 Timothy 5:17-18). We should use our resources to lay up treasure in heaven, as Jesus taught.

Because of this, I think that the question is no longer whether we give a tithe, but whether we have given our all to Christ. If we give our goods to feed the poor, it profits us nothing without first giving ourselves to God in love (1 Corinthians 13:3). Once we realize that we have died to ourselves and the focus of our lives is now on serving our Lord Jesus, then as a good servant we no longer are free to act as if His resources are ours to use as we desire; they are His to use as good stewards of that resource.I,think maybe this is what these people think they are doing.This is what we have been taught,,,,,

but,I,found this article,
I,really like it,I,believe it to.Must read,Its the way the true tithing should be and how it really was back then.We,are to still do it this way. This will upset pastors,I,find it very interesting.I,am going to study it more.They say you learn something new everyday.I,am open for truth and facts.So,these people giving for the rapture,even got it wrong on giving ,this man is taking it all,I,wonder if he is really is a true Christian.He has done this all wrong and a false witness to god. Here is the song,I was talking about,It makes you stop and think.
,This is my testimony,both of these songs,
,www.youtube.com...,I,like what they said,we as Christian need to step back and be like Jesus.

First know, I am a Christian. I am not attacking the Christian faith, but I am strongly objecting to how more and more Christians are treating nonbelievers. This is my response to what I see as more and more judgmental Christians out there who seems to think they are something special and snub those that aren't believers. The only people Jesus ever blasted were the religious leaders of His time. They put Him down for hanging out with 'sinners', for eating with them, for even being around them, yet Christ said He came not for the righteous but for the sinners of which we all are. The only difference between us and others is we are saved sinners. Of course we strife to be Christ like and through the Holy Spirit many of those sins are gone but we commit one of the worse sins by driving people away by being hateful towards them! Jesus said the world would hate us for loving Him...but is that the reason you are hated? Or its it because you bully and put down others and try to dictate their lives? If you notice the Jews were being run by the worse nation in the world, Rome, yet Jesus did nothing to try to change Rome. He never fought against it, never ranted about their pagan gods, nor how badly they treated the Jews...why was that? Because change comes through the heart first. Eventually Rome fell, due to changed hearts but not by bullying or forcing their ways on them. We cannot ignore the teachings of Christ to love others, even our enemies saying well He is going to judge the world's sins and smite 'the wicked'! If He does, that is for Him alone to do...not us. I do not see one verse in the bible that says we have the right to past judgment on others or condemn them either. Christians are becoming lost themselves and hearing too many Christian leaders telling us to 'fight back' and do this and that and we have gone past the defense mode, to the attack mode and this goes against everything Christ taught us. Too many have become just plain hateful, twisting scriptures to justify it. The bible only says we can judge other Christians, NOT outsiders. The only one worthy of judging is Christ Himself...not one of us can judge others salvation. I realize Christians get worn down by the attacks we encounter constantly on the net and at times in our day to day lives, but you cannot assume everyone is out to attack your faith and be so defensive all the time. Approach those that do want to know more with love and kindness! You are representing Christ in everything you do. This is in the bible. One day you will have to give an account for how you treated people. I think this is something that oughta cause alot of trembling knees... The song is just the chorus of "Love them like Jesus" by Casting Crowns

Then I,was like the woman at the well.That's why I,don't judge.I,remember where I,cam from.We,need to treat non-believers better then we do.That's why Non-believers run.Christians act like goody to shoes,this is wrong.We,once were bad to.and we still make mistakes,we aren't perfect.But we know where to go and repent.
,This is my life story.I,love this song.He can do it for you.I,am sorry,this is a long article,but it is a article of love.I,am saying there will be a rapture,I,just don't know when,just be ready.This is a very serious matter.It is a spiritual war,good and evil.Evil has set SATURDAY UP!

This is to let you know who I,am and what I,believe in.This is why I.speak strong on biblical issues.If it wasn't for Jesus,I,wouldn't be here today.I,had a very hard past life.I,experienced things,a child should of never experienced,all the way to a adult.But people and God never gave up on me.So,I,AM HERE TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCES.It,may help someone.If It just helps one,I,feel,I,did something right.God is first in my life.I,pray for all of you,no matter what you think of me.I,know one day my prayers will be answered.I,really feel for these people about SATURDAY.They will need prayer and help and forgiveness.This rapture business is very serious.You see there is a spiritual war going on between good and evil.Evil is doing this Saturday stuff,laughing at man kind and God.But evil will lose.Pray for them Saturday and pray for ISRAEL,THEY WILL NEED US MORE THEN EVER.THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Once nothing happens (bank on it), these people will be routed, exposed and be given a one-way ticket to hell.

Bank on that!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Buzzzzz

Yep,they will make a lot of money,and I,feel they won't give it back neither.Once given,its gone,Its theirs. So sad

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by venusstarlite

Blah blah blah.

The "rapture" is a creation of people who believe in fairy tales.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The world is getting dumber by the day, Its funny to watch de-evolution.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join