It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are computers alien technology?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Thanks for that

I was only making a conjecture, I figured there was a better explanation.

And as I stated before, I know little about math so the use of imaginary numbers (-1 as I understand, or at least represented by -1 in most cases) to troubleshoot problems that they had with the tech sounded interesting.

But, I guess I'm also assuming imaginary numbers weren't used before for anything

I would just like to add that I personally don't believe we have any alien technology. We may be dumb as a species, but there are some very intelligent people that this planet is graced with.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Starrunner

Solid state electronics such as integrated circuits are interesting as they were a product of western technology and as such you see an evolutionary gap appear between the Soviet tech who continue to refine the vacuum tube well into the 70's, and the solid state transistor which replaced vacuum tubes in most western applications and were key to the miniaturization seen in western electronics during the 60's and 70's.

Once again, well documented. Here's a link to the first patent for an early integrated circuit envisioned for use in hearing aids ( notice it is filed by an German corporation on behalf of a German engineer living in Germany).

Early developments of the integrated circuit go back to 1949, when the German engineer Werner Jacobi (Siemens AG) filed a patent for an integrated-circuit-like semiconductor amplifying device [3] showing five transistors on a common substrate arranged in a 2-stage amplifier arrangement. Jacobi discloses small and cheap hearing aids as typical industrial applications of his patent. A commercial use of his patent has not been reported.

European Patent Office

Then, the possible applications of the integrated circuit as we would recognise it now was the work of a Brit.

The idea of the integrated circuit was conceived by a radar scientist working for the Royal Radar Establishment of the British Ministry of Defence, Geoffrey W.A. Dummer (1909–2002), who published it at the Symposium on Progress in Quality Electronic Components in Washington, D.C. on May 7, 1952.[4] He gave many symposia publicly to propagate his ideas. Dummer unsuccessfully attempted to build such a circuit in 1956..

The Hapless Tale of Geoffrey Dummer

Then onto..

Newly employed by Texas Instruments, Kilby recorded his initial ideas concerning the integrated circuit in July 1958, successfully demonstrating the first working integrated example on September 12, 1958. In his patent application of February 6, 1959, Kilby described his new device as “a body of semiconductor material ... wherein all the components of the electronic circuit are completely integrated.” Kilby won the 2000 Nobel Prize in Physics for his part of the invention of the integrated circuit.

Integrated circuit

Once again, E.T. not required to explain integrated circuits either.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The first transistor was developed by Bell laboratories in collaboratation with aliens. The SST transistor.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Remember long-time ago reading that someone suggested that Velcro was alien in origin. It was invented in 1948 ( some say 1941).
But also we are relying on the fact that Roswell was our first contact and capture of Alien technology.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Reply to - loves a conspiricy

I must admit im no expert on planets. I was just under the impression that other planets would not have Oil, Diamonds and Gold like we do (just as an exsample). Im sure we would not have the same minerals as an aliean planet and this could limit us on reversing Aliean tech. Going to sound kinda dumb here but in the Superman movies they could not recreate Krptomite as it was a Aliean rock. Im sure the same rule would apply here when reversing Aliean tech?
edit on 18-5-2011 by No Retreat No Surrender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starrunner

Originally posted by TruthOut3579
I heard about how the transistor was reverse-engineered off Roswell. And our technology DID increase drastically between 1950 and 2010.

It wasn't transistors we reverse-engineered from the Roswell crash we had those in TVs and Radios already at that time. We supposed reverse-engineered integrated-circuits from the crash in addition to fiber-optics, laser and a few other technologies.

No, we didn't.

The Transistor was not commercially available until the early 1950s.

On the original question:

No, this is not "alien" technology.

The Transistor amplifier operates on the exact same electrical principles as a
Vacuum tube amplifier just using different means to accomplish the task.

During WWII they were experimenting on all sorts of stuff to make military
equipment more efficient, tougher, and lighter weight, the Transistor is an
outgrowth of those experiments.

Integrated circuits were developed for the military to reduce the size of guidance
computers and other circuitry in ballistic missiles, ICs employ the same technology
as transistors but the scale is reduced to put many of them on a small semiconductor.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Why are you responding to me all I was doing was correcting the OP.

reply to post by Version100

Thank you correcting me for a statement I've already retracted.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GringoViejo

Thanks for that

In fairness, the only reason I was quick with an answer is because I've been a part of similar discussions in the past and have seen the point and counterpoint where this particular line of reasoning inevitably leads.

I would just like to add that I personally don't believe we have any alien technology. We may be dumb as a species, but there are some very intelligent people that this planet is graced with.

I agree with you , I have come to the concussion that extraterrestrial visitation as many have come to believe is a myth. I feel confident taking such an absolute position regarding something as nebulous and potentially diverse as the extraterrestrial hypothesis based on the very same evidence presented thus far in support of "visitation".

Odd or strange sightings, absolutely.

Unknown to science? possibly, maybe?

Making the leap from "I don't know what it was" to the only possible explanation being spacecraft of extraterrestrial origin is just too far down the list of possibilities.

Why E.T.? Why not time travelers? Or ghosts? At least we know humans exist, that's one less assumption to make, wouldn't the simpler unfounded speculation be a more viable explanation?

Without getting into the debate on what defines a UFO, I cant think of a single subject which requires such a command of diverse knowledge as the UFO question. Just the basic science required to understand the difference between what is possible , may be possible and the impossible without having to rely on the opinions of others can be substantial.

Contemporary political and military history becomes a must have as well, the easy example being able to interpret the intent behind issuing operational orders regarding interception of unknown aircraft during the cold war.

An Air Force pilot's quote that "I had orders to shoot down anything unidentified" has a whole different meaning when quoted in a vacuum without context as further "proof" of visitation, compared to if you have done the research and know this had been in response to Soviet elint TU-95's probing the defensive radar picket over the last few months at the particular airbase involved with the quote.

My point being, I personally believe there is nothing at all wrong with learning something new and having UFOlogy as the inspiration that lead you to ask the question.(or whatever you prefer to label it). Unfortunately, there are a vocal few who can be counted on to become frustrated when cornered by their own logical fallacies.

The common retort of " why post in the UFO forum if you don't believe in aliens" is hands down a favorite.

As I said, what better place to promote ones own understanding science and modern history than exploring the authenticity of UFO=E.T. claims

Its when people don't know to question some of the absurdities being offered as fact and start cataloguing alien species or using false science describing E.T.s FTL drives that the subject casts some in a less than flattering light.

Hope this helps anyone still on the fence..

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Why are you responding to me all I was doing was correcting the OP.

No offense towards your character intended.

However, in fairness, I'm unsure of your point?

I retract my statement about transistors being used in TVs and radios of 1947, you're right it was vacuum tubes.

But it was integrated-circuits (the begins of modern computer-chip) that has always been claimed to have been reverse-engineered from the Roswell crash.

You do know that integrated circuits are made from transistors, correct?

edit on 18-5-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I think the first thing we figured out was the silicon chip that allowed computers to be assembled, and I have always thought we did get the silicon chip from the roswell crash. I really do.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
I think the first thing we figured out was the silicon chip that allowed computers to be assembled, and I have always thought we did get the silicon chip from the roswell crash. I really do.

The beauty of the silicone based microchip has more to do with affordable, mass production than anything else.

Silicon wasn't the first choice nor was it the ideal material for building the IC architecture. The first chips used the element Germanium and while Silicone was recognized as having potential, the technology needed to refine silicon to a purity useful as a semiconductor at a reasonable cost for mass application did not appear until the 1970's.

Robert Noyce and Jack Kilby are credited by many as being the co-inventors of the integrated circuit aka microchip. Unbeknownst and about 6 months apart, Kilby used germanium and Noyce used silicon for the base material making Robert Noyce the inventor of the silicon chip. Interestingly, Jack Kilby was solely recognized by Nobel Prize in 2000 for creating the integrated circuit which is a small clue towards the importance that silicone played in the discovery.

Here is his patent abstract from 1959

SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICE-AND-LEAD STRUCTURE

As you can see, everything is meticulously documented, there are no mysterious advances in technology or theory requiring extraterrestrial or divine intervention to explain. Just a really smart guy with no vacation time using the knowledge of his age to invent the technology of the next.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Sure it is meticulously documented, as most cover-ups should be.

Sheesh, really...just cause it's in the history books doesn't make it gospel. Do you also beleive everything in the Bible is true

Whatever...
When I was in school we were told there were 9 planets...WRONG!!!!
Pluto is no longer a planet.
When I was in school they told us all kids would attend Virtual (online) schools, and no traditional schools would exist.... WRONG!!!!
There are many things that is in history/science/what have you books and none of them are 100% true... Some is straight up indoctrinating and some is blatant lies, cover-ups...etc etc....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join