It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite Detects an Ancient 12,000-Year-Old Structure Under Antarctica Ice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
i read this site and never have i heard this sort of story
not sure what to make of this one........................

According to the European Union Times, disturbing news has been leaking out from the giant continent at the bottom of the world. During April 2001 an ancient structure or apparatus that lay encased miles under the hard Antarctic ice was detected by a roving spy satellite. The US military immediately moved to quash the reports and the mainstream news media dutifully complied.

daily galaxy

something under the ice yo say
anyone say aliens VS preditor

there is something coming up in satalite data that has the americans digging just like in the movies
lol

anyone got more info ?

xploder

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
LOL I was thinking AvP myself, but do remember, Antarctica wasnt always covered in ice...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Let's all spew out twice our carbon emissions to speed up this process!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

If it’s something the US military has constructed down there, then they’re violating the international Antarctic Treaty,” said an aide to Nicole Fontaine, at the time he was the European Parliament’s French president. “If not, then it’s something that’s at least 12,000 years old, which is how long ice has covered Antarctica. That would make it the oldest man-made structure on the planet. The Pentagon should heed the calls of Congress and release whatever it’s hiding.”
reply to post by XPLodER

from the article.

In either case, this seems very interesting.

The only thing is, why only now do this come to light, and such a small article as well. I smell something not right here.

VVV

edit on 17-5-2011 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: link

link   
reply to post by XPLodER

During April.....

April the 1st perhaps?

link   
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

Why? Once the ice has melted they will just cover it up with disinfo Instead.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar
reply to post by XPLodER

During April.....

April the 1st perhaps?

Never mind.
edit on 17-5-2011 by pandapowerjamie because: (no reason given)

link   
Picture????

link   
look to be fair from any other doddgy site yea i would just laugh
but i have been impressed so far with the science on this site,
not sure what to make of it

any ideas
anyone know if antactica was "evacuated"?
lol

xploder

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

anyone got more info ?

This image is from a National Geographic webpage.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

There is also a write up at NPR talking about using radar to look under the ice and the kind of rivers and hidden mountains that are being found.
www.npr.org...

David Grouchy

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I've been interested in this for some time, there was a rumour that the US had sent a tunnelling machine, the Subterrene to antarctica, but I was never able to find any more information

p00hbear

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by pandapowerjamie

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar
reply to post by XPLodER

During April.....

April the 1st perhaps?

Never mind.
edit on 17-5-2011 by pandapowerjamie because: (no reason given)

i see you retracted you statement, nevermind

edit on 17-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Alien Vs. Predator trivia

The Antarctic setting on Bouvet Island is based on the unexplained "Vela Incident" where on September 22, 1979, a satellite recorded a flash of light near Bouvet Island. It was first speculated to have been a man made nuclear explosion or a natural event such as a meteor strike but this has never been resolved.

Report on the 1979 Vela Incident (full article)

By Carey Sublette - Last changed 1 September 2001

The Vela Incident

On 22 September 1979 around 00:53 GMT, the Vela 6911 satellite detected the characteristic double flash of an atmospheric nuclear explosion apparently over the Indian Ocean or South Atlantic. The test location was later localized at 47 deg. S, 40 deg. E in the Indian Ocean, in the vicinity of South Africa's Prince Edward Island, by hydroacoustic data. Due to the position ambiguity of the initial detection (the Vela optical sensors were not imaging sensors and could did not detect location), the location is variously described as being in the Indian Ocean or South Atlantic. The characteristics of the light curve indicated that it was a low kiloton explosion (approximately 3 kt). The hydroacoustic signal indicated a low altitude explosion. A major and lingering controversy erupted over the interpretation of this apparent detection.

The Vela satellite program was an nuclear detonation (NUDET) detection system setup after the 1963 limited test ban and was designed to detect nuclear explosions in space and (later) air. There were two groups of Vela satellites developed. The original Vela were equipped only with sensors for space detection and were launched in three pairs between 1963 and 1965. They operated for at least five years, far beyond their nominal design life of six months. A second generation called Advanced Vela were launched in 1967, 1969 and 1970. These satellites added "bahngmeters" - optical sensors for detecting atmospheric tests - and had a nominal design life of 18 months, but were later rated with a seven year lifespan, although they were all operated for more than ten years, with the last one being turned off in 1984 -- after 14 years of successful operation [JPL 2001]; [Astronautix 2001].

Vela 6911 is presumably one of the Advanced Vela pair launch launched on 23 May 1969 (perigee 77,081 km, apogee 145,637 km, inclination 61.6 deg), and had thus been operating over ten years at the time of the 1979 detection.

The Vela satellite system had previously made 41 similar detections of atmospheric tests, each of which had been subsequently confirmed through other means. The detection came at a bad time for the Carter administration which would be under pressure to take definite action if the detection were accepted as accurate. Inescapably it seemed that either Israel, South Africa, or both, would be implicated. Consequently a panel of scientists from academia known as the Ruina Panel, after its head Dr. Jack Ruina, was created to review the reliability of the Vela data. Since this satellite was operating past its expected lifespan, and its electromagnetic pulse (EMP) sensor was inoperative, questions about the reliability of the detection were raised. The panel ultimately concluded in a report released in the summer of 1980 that the signal "was probably not from a nuclear explosion. Although we cannot rule out that this signal was of nuclear origin".

This conclusion has cast a pall over public confidence in the ability of the U.S. to unambiguously detect clandestine nuclear explosions for over twenty years.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Here is an actual radar image revealing the existance of a liquid lake under the ice. The red line represents the edge of the Gamburtsev mountain range.

sampimentel.wordpress.com...

David Grouchy

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

During the 1970s, Israel and South Africa joined in a program to develop, not only nuclear weapons but biological and chemical weapons as well.

We know for certain that ten nuclear weapons were built in South Africa, six of which were dismantled, one tested on September 22, 1979. Of the remaining three, one was detonated in North Korea on May 25, 2009. The other three are still "missing"

p00hbear

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by p00hbear

thanks for the info guys

so far we have rumors of a structure and tunneling equipment

we know they were doing gravity and topography mapping through the ice

this is the exact alien VS pred

i am stuck for words this has to be suspect at the moment

xploder

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

It could be a giant flux capacitor !!!!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Ice has covered Antartica for millions of years. Ice cores have proven that. This is why Graham Hancock distanced himself from his Antartica Atlantis theory in Fingerprints Of The Gods. So when teh article states 12,000 years ago they immediately discredit themselves.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by p00hbear

Postulating of course but, I think I can confirm where one of the missing 3 has ended up.

World's Largest Bar-b-que Pit
The pit at Big Boy's Toys is still located in Magnolia, AR, on hwy 79. The pit looks like a big rocketship laid on its side. It is portable. Hook it up too any pickup or car and tow away to your favorite picinic area. They also have some smaller pits -- one looks like a locomotive engine. All of their pits are trailer mounted. [K. R. Shaw, 07/06/2006]

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
i followed the source link all the way here

had some annoying popups

europen web site

not sure if they are reputable or not
any read this site?
or know if it is legit?

xp

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>