It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you think you know Northern Ireland / Ireland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Im fed up reading the mindless dribble coming out of the London Bomb thread.

So as someone that lives here, studied our politics at degree level for 2 years and our history coupled with sociolology I will let you have an inside view of this counrty.

RIRA

*Has about 300 active members

*Their QM who was their leader, was jailed for trying to smuggle in arms

*They have little or no munitions all bombs have to be home made as the IRA (the origional before splinter) decommissioned them. This was so they could get social grants for their respective housing estates, same as the UDA.

*They have no support in NI or Ireland after the Omagh bomb which killed members on both sides.

The GAA now is on the side of peace and the PSNI they havent a hope in hell gaining the catholic support again. This has been proven time and time again, after they go on a "mission" within a week or two the perpetrators are usualy caught along with bomb factories.

Our goverment

So you think our government is full of terrorists, well in short yes it is. Marty was an IRA sniper in Derry and Gerry sat on the IRA council.

So where the protestants, Big Ian was very close to the UDA.

But here's the thing, its all in the past. We dont want to live in the past anymore, we are fed up with bomb alerts, riots and no job prospects. We want jobs and a decent standard of living just like you.

Our politicians are delivering both so why be hung up on their past. We have greater disclosure than the UK. Hell our First minsiters wife was sleeping with a 21 year old, it hit the news and he was the one that broke it. We accepted it, felt sorry for him and moved on.

United Ireland and UK

With the good friday agreement there needs to be a 51% yes vote from both north and south. This is probably never going to happen in my life time and the reasons are;

*Catholics in NI get to many benifits including the NHS, social housing and first pick of jobs now. What can Ireland Offer, a country in Debt.

*The UK wants rid of us as we are a drain on their resources, well tough ~ . They stole Ireland many centuries ago this is just karma coming back to bite them.

*Ireland doesent want us, we cost to much as i said above, social housing, NHS and benifits. Also N.I. would have to dramaticaly change, every road sign would have to change, this is just one factor that would cost millions also the up keep of our country would cripple an already crippled country.

Not to mention 60% of Northern Ireland is protestant. Lets just say for arguement we went into a United Ireland tomorrow. There would be civil unrest that would spill into the rest of the UK and Ireland. Do you honestly think that the Irish army and the guards have the resources to keep the peace. Simple answer is NO.

Our 'we country' may be flawed but its working after 30 years of a civil war there is peace so dont rock the boat.

The integration of catholic and protestants is finally happening, things that would never have happened are now happening. My family is protestant but my brothers wife is catholic and they are having a child, my cousins (best friend) wife is catholic and they have 2 kids. My circle of friends include members of the Orange order that will break bread with hard line catholics during house partys. (I like to leave around 3am during the house partys to avoid the debate over the troubles lol.)

So can the people that do not live here stop with the idiotic comments. Stop proclaiming your Irish just because your granny many moons ago had a guinness and that the North and South should reunite because you think you have the right to lecture us on our country.

People in glass houses shouldent throw stones.

Peace and Love
edit on 16-5-2011 by michaelmcclen because: grammar

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
i think 3oo years of civil war is more correct, but excellent points.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
Im fed up reading the mindless dribble coming out of the London Bomb thread.

So as someone that lives here, studied our politics at degree level for 2 years and our history coupled with sociolology I will let you have an inside view of this counrty.

RIRA

*Has about 300 active members

*Their QM who was their leader, was jailed for trying to smuggle in arms

*They have little or no munitions all bombs have to be home made as the IRA (the origional before splinter) decommissioned them. This was so they could get social grants for their respective housing estates, same as the UDA.

*They have no support in NI or Ireland after the Omagh bomb which killed members on both sides.

The GAA now is on the side of peace and the PSNI they havent a hope in hell gaining the catholic support again. This has been proven time and time again, after they go on a "mission" within a week or two the perpetrators are usualy caught along with bomb factories.

Our goverment

So you think our government is full of terrorists, well in short yes it is. Marty was an IRA sniper in Derry and Gerry sat on the IRA council.

So where the protestants, Big Ian was very close to the UDA.

But here's the thing, its all in the past. We dont want to live in the past anymore, we are fed up with bomb alerts, riots and no job prospects. We want jobs and a decent standard of living just like you.

Our politicians are delivering both so why be hung up on their past. We have greater disclosure than the UK. Hell our First minsiters wife was sleeping with a 21 year old, it hit the news and he was the one that broke it. We accepted it, felt sorry for him and moved on.

United Ireland and UK

With the good friday agreement there needs to be a 51% yes vote from both north and south. This is probably never going to happen in my life time and the reasons are;

*Catholics in NI get to many benifits including the NHS, social housing and first pick of jobs now. What can Ireland Offer, a country in Debt.

*The UK wants rid of us as we are a drain on their resources, well tough ~ . They stole Ireland many centuries ago this is just karma coming back to bite them.

*Ireland doesent want us, we cost to much as i said above, social housing, NHS and benifits. Also N.I. would have to dramaticaly change, every road sign would have to change, this is just one factor that would cost millions also the up keep of our country would cripple an already crippled country.

Not to mention 60% of Northern Ireland is protestant. Lets just say for arguement we went into a United Ireland tomorrow. There would be civil unrest that would spill into the rest of the UK and Ireland. Do you honestly think that the Irish army and the guards have the resources to keep the peace. Simple answer is NO.

Our 'we country' may be flawed but its working after 30 years of a civil war there is peace so dont rock the boat.

The integration of catholic and protestants is finally happening, things that would never have happened are now happening. My family is protestant but my brothers wife is catholic and they are having a child, my cousins (best friend) wife is catholic and they have 2 kids. My circle of friends include members of the Orange order that will break bread with hard line catholics during house partys. (I like to leave around 3am during the house partys to avoid the debate over the troubles lol.)

So can the people that do not live here stop with the idiotic comments. Stop proclaiming your Irish just because your granny many moons ago had a guinness and that the North and South should reunite because you think you have the right to lecture us on our country.

People in glass houses shouldent throw stones.

Peace and Love
edit on 16-5-2011 by michaelmcclen because: grammar

SHEEP! Omagh bombing was a false flag carried out by complicit MI5 agents. They were trying to silence the UVF.

Wake up bro. Even a yank can tell you this

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
i think 3oo years of civil war is more correct, but excellent points.

I agree also, the people here say the movement only really started 30 years ago when Gerry got his seat in the UK parliamant but abstained because he did not want to swear an oath to the Queen.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DONTBEIGNORANT

Well if thats the case, it brought peace to N.I and both sides coming together to live peacefully.

you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette, same principle as blowing up an oil drill thats on fire.

Again if thats the case 28 people's lives are a small sacrifice for peace.
edit on 16-5-2011 by michaelmcclen because: bad grammar

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Amazing that Bush's pledge to go after terrorists, and the countries that support and/or harbour them stopped when it came to Ireland.

Or did the terrorism from Ireland abruptly stop about that time.

Not sure how it worked out.

I do know that the last thing the Irish needed was M1A1s taking the place of the Saracens.
Perhaps it was all the US money going that way...

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist, and vice versa.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

It stopped around 1998 with the Good Friday agreement with 71% support from NI and 94% from Eire.

The big issue was to release IRA and UDA prisioners and put out an amnesty for all militants. This happend around 1998-2000 so it was before Sept 2001 and before Bushes pledge on terriorism.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The Omagh Bomb Conspiracy and cover-up!

Was there a conspiracy, involving MI5, CIA and the Garda, to let the bomb go off in Omagh and to deliberately kill scores of innocent people, both catholic and protestant - The motive - to blame this on the Real IRA and to force the Real IRA into accepting a ceasefire!

top topics

join