It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words seemed spelled wrong, what is up with that?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

So you as say that if someone a thousand years from now found a book writen today that they would have the same trouble reading it as we now do with ancient Egyptian hyroglifics.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
c) HAARP is doing something to alter our ways of thinking.

I had somewhat of a similar thought. I too have very recently had issues remembering spellings, and words I want to use. Last 6 months-ish.

It didn't feel like something inside Me, but something outside Me pressing on my psyche... It may be HAARP or something similar.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Glad I'm not alone in this.
I'm have to use spell check alot and there are many times the word just does not
look right,I check it and it is correct.
I thought old age(I'm only 46) was a contributer to this,but maybe
The lack of actually writing a letter in my own handwriting is the cause.
You have to think more when physically writing on a piece(just spelled that wrong)
paper,versus typing on a keyboard.
Maybe the internet is dumbing us down.
Have you looked at how a teenager writes,it's pretty much like text language.
I look at my daughter who is 12yrs old facebook and I can't hardly read it!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
You mean, Words seem to be spelled wrong.
I had to do it because this is a thread about grammar.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by fixer1967

I know exactly what you mean. I am a reader, bigtime. I have been known to read a whole novel in one night on my insomnia streaks. I used to be able to tell if a word is spelled wrong, just by looking at it. For some reason there are words that now look wrong to me, but are not. It is weird.
I thought that was just me! I'm a writer and the words just don't look right to me anymore! I have a tendency to stay up on insomnia streaks myself and it's just weird

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967 She noticed that the same words were being missed spelled on every paper so she looked them up and to her dismay she found out she was the one wrong and she is an English teacher of all things.

Don't you mean, misspelled?

Get over it. It happens to all of us.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

friggin spell check, sence is now sense. i see that too. forget the meaning.

makes me crazy, i am 1st runner up in my schools spelling bee. i was framed!

edit on 16-5-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

hell ya!

i got a few years on you and you nailed it!

geeze!

this is a real conspiracy! i spelled that right, not wright, not because there write or their right or they're right.

tihs!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Unfortunately, many of us walk around chronically malnourished and hyper-toxic. Correct it and your body and mind will flourish. Oh, fluoride too, must get off fluoride.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I recognize this 'thing' as you call it OP.
It doesn't only happen to the English speaking, I'm Dutch and I had a major 'outbreak' of the 'thing just last week when trying to write a paper in my own language. I spend more time on trying to figure out why the words seemed odd to me while the spelling checker didn't mark them as wrong.

I figured it was a form of dislexia, with lack of a better explenation. Usually I get it when I'm tired and trying to type, I will start changing left hand with right hand while typing blind and out comes a lot of gibberisch, lol.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
OK, let put a time frame on this. I first started to see this about 6 or 7 months ago. Before that I do not remember it being so. Now if the time frame of when people started to notice this shows a pattern now that would be something.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I gotta be honest...I'm a big offender with regards to this whole issue. And what makes my problem worse is when I start editing and get in a big hurry. I make things even worse.

My problems related to this issue have only seemed to start in the last year or so. And many times I won't catch mispellings because the word is actually spelled right but used in the wrong context or is the entirely wrong word altogether. I'm only in my 40s but it has become very worrying because writing was always very easy for me until the last year or so.

I'm starting to think it may be a problem with the many head injuries I suffered in sports throughout the years (I had several that really had me in a funk for days at a time) because lately I've done some other things not related to mispellings or bad grammer. Like walking into Walmart last week and couldn't for the life of me remember why I even went in. I had a purpose when I set off there...got in, and got totally angry with myself when I couldn't remember why I was there, or a few weeks ago tearing up my kitchen to try and find my car keys when I had actually already started the car and it was running outside but I had come back into the house to retrieve my GPS navigator. After realizing the keys were in the car and the car was running I then took off in the car without the GPS...which is the whole reason I went back into the house to begin with. Maybe it's stress I don't know.

Can't do much else but just get over it and move on....doctors don't have cure for being a complete airhead last I checked. Anyways....if there are mispellings in this post don't assume I didn't check it over. But I do wonder why this issue has only reared itself in the last year or two.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
reply to post by timidgal

So you as say that if someone a thousand years from now found a book writen today that they would have the same trouble reading it as we now do with ancient Egyptian hyroglifics.

Well, yes and no because the simile of understanding ancient hieroglyphics vs current day English is more comparable to understanding English vs Chinese - two different "languages" with no common base foundation. I hope I'm articulating that correctly. With that said, who knows what will happen over the next 1,000 years, how much each generation's culture will change modern day definitions of words or how about this thought - how do we know that 1,000 years from now, there will even be any form of "written communication" as we know it today? It's not entirely out of the question - aren't there currently computer programs where you talk into a microphone and the computer automatically types what you're saying, complete with perfect spelling and grammar?
BTW, just a side note, since you started this thread, I've become more aware of the fact that I'm also suffering from what you originally described but wasn't conscious of it. I've had to check the spelling of multiple words over the last few days and my original spelling was wrong!! Pretty sobering.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
that was a crazy video ' Twilight Word Play", im surprised i hadn't seen that one.

However, i can agree with the others on this thread, my and my significant other have also been finding words to be sounding and looking wrong.

like: Because, favorite, becoming. etc.

And than communication of which you'd say something in a sentence that has no relevance as to what the discussion was about. I've been flipping through the dictionary every once in a while to keep up my vocubalry because im afraid im loosing it. But i'm not that old to begin with so i dont think im expirencing memory loss any time soon..or am i.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
In college, I had to check younger students in and out of the dorm. There was a checklist for the condition of various items in the room and I had to write "good" about 25 times per sheet. After a while, the word "good" just does not look right, probably because you end up focusing on the letters so much.

Our brains are used to focusing on the words themselves as units, so when you force your brain to look at the actual letters - one by one - and also seeing as how English spelling tends to be quite far removed from any standard pronunciation scheme, your brain starts to realize these inconsistencies and flags them as needing attention.

This is why we run into homophones as problems (its - it's; there - they're - their; etc.) because our brain recognizes them phonetically as the same, even though meaning is different.

English is due for a spelling reform soon. It's starting to change too much, diverging even further from the spelling. Consider:

Famly for family
Comfterble for comfortable
Gonna for going to
Probly for probably

Not to mention the fact that we have at least six different ways to pronounce the letter "t" in American English:

1. tree - sounds almost like "ch" in church
2. butter - sounds exactly like the "dd" in ladder, or the Spanish "r" in Peru.
3. tomorrow - sounds like a really puffy, aspirated "t"
4. cotton - not the same as butter, sounds like a catch in your glottus, like a sound in the Arabic language.
5. fate - sounds like the catch above, but less pronounced, almost totally unpronounced really, changing the tone on the "a" that comes before it (compare with that same "a" sound in "fade", which is more drawn out)
6. winter - in words like this, the "n" totally swallows the "t"'s pronunciation for most people in the US so that this word is a homophone of "winner"

Of course not all people in the US speak the same way - from Boston to NYC to the deep South and up through the midwest to Chicago and beyond - but just listen to the way many people say these words and words like them and you will start to see that the language is really nothing it seems to be when written on paper. Almost how modern Chinese has only vestigial clues to its pronunciation for the average native speaker schooled in the language.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It happens to me sometimes too, but I always put it down to written form of a verbal 'issue'. For example, write a word you know a million times and it will start to look wrong, or say a word a million times and you will somehow be convinced it isn't even a word.

There was even an incident where I said 'You' and then stopped thinking.'thats familiar...but I'm sure thats not a word' Before being sure a minute later that it was

And I know other people who have had the same thing happen verbally

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

Lmao. Next party(where people are drinking preferably) try this joke out.

Something like this, but make up your own way to say it that sounds natural.

"I am not really all that good with football at all. Which comes first, the kickoff, or the toin coss?"

Most people will be like "toin coss dumbass" It's pretty funny.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join