It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words seemed spelled wrong, what is up with that?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I do not start many new threads so I may be posting this in the wrong space. If so please move to the right place. Spelling problems, we have them. But it seems that more and more words seem spelled wrong to me and when I use spell check I find out I am the one that is wrong. OK So I am not the spelling be champ by no means but you know what I am talking about. You see a word and it just looks wrong. I am not the only one that is noticing this odd "thing". I call it a thing because I do not know what to call it yet. I know a teacher that last year go so embarrassed over correcting some school papers she almost quit her job. She marked spelling errors on papers that were not miss spelled. She noticed that the same words were being missed spelled on every paper so she looked them up and to her dismay she found out she was the one wrong and she is an English teacher of all things. Just wondering is anyone esle has notice this.
This is a little like the Twilight Zone "Wordplay"

edit on 5/15/2011 by fixer1967 because: Spelling of all things

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

I know exactly what you mean. I am a reader, bigtime. I have been known to read a whole novel in one night on my insomnia streaks. I used to be able to tell if a word is spelled wrong, just by looking at it. For some reason there are words that now look wrong to me, but are not. It is weird.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Could this have anything to do with the difference between British and US English and what words exactly are you finding looks wrong these days? A little more detail would be interesting.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
I do not start many new threads so I may be posting this in the wrong space. If so please move to the right place. Spelling problems, we have them. But it seems that more and more words seem spelled wrong to me and when I use spell check I find out I am the one that is wrong. OK So I am not the spelling be champ by no means but you know what I am talking about. You see a word and it just looks wrong. I am not the only one that is noticing this odd "thing". I call it a thing because I do not know what to call it yet. I know a teacher that last year go so embarrassed over correcting some school papers she almost quit her job. She marked spelling errors on papers that were not miss spelled. She noticed that the same words were being missed spelled on every paper so she looked them up and to her dismay she found out she was the one wrong and she is an English teacher of all things. Just wondering is anyone esle has notice this.

One word:: Phonics!!!!
en.wikipedia.org...

Phonics is described as "the study of the way in which spellings represent the sounds that make up words." The problem is they don't. Believers in phonics may protest that letters sometimes represent sounds, but you can't tell when they're doing it, so they're not really representing. Few customers would be happy with a bank which sent them information which only sometimes represented the state of their accounts.

Yeah, I noticed bad spelling all over the place OP. I think another problem is that some people are too lazy to even learn how to spell-check something. I am not a fan of reading spelling errors in thread titles and ATS member posts. Argh~

S&F
edit on 15-5-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: removed video from quote

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Happens to me often, Sometimes I look at a word I typed or wrote down and the spelling just seems wrong. It happens with brand names as well, A couple of months a go I thought SAMSUNG and the brand name and spelling seemed so foreign to me. After a couple of minutes in confusion it starts making sense again.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

I know exactly what you mean. I am a reader, bigtime. I have been known to read a whole novel in one night on my insomnia streaks. I used to be able to tell if a word is spelled wrong, just by looking at it. For some reason there are words that now look wrong to me, but are not. It is weird.

My problem is similar, but sort of from the opposite direction. I love to write. I write skits for my students to act out, random haiku that pops into my head, etc. I have always been an excellent speller.

In the last year or so, I find myself hesitating mid sentence-- unsure of a word, that 3 years ago would have been penned on auto-pilot. Also, the red-line syndrome the OP spoke of. Yeah. I was beginning to worry that it was just me. Creepy stuff, guys!

Edit to Add: What if those garbled newscasters were struck with a verbal form of this... or the typist for the teleprompter has my issues...

edit on 5/15/2011 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This happens to all of us now and then.

If this is happening to you ALL the time, you need to see a doctor. You could have a serious brain condition.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

American english mostly. I know there are some differences in the way things are spelled, like here it is spelled color. I will try to remember the next time it happens, maybe start a list.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I have always considered myself pretty good at spelling and
recently have had the same problem. I am older and thought
perhaps it was due to age. Sometimes I spell out a word and
it looks wrong - I look it up and I have it right - other times I
don't have it right. I put it down to overload or an age thing,
after all we look at a lot of words thru our life.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have been noticing the same thing.

I have always been an awesome speller, never had any trouble spelling even the most ridiculous words. Lately though a lot of words have been looking "wrong" to me, but when I check them they are actually right.

It is weird.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

OK, it makes me feel a bit better to find out it is not just me but at the same time I have to wonder what is going on. From all the replies I have gotten so fast it seems I may have stumbled on to some here. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. This is getting more weird my the minute.
edit on 5/15/2011 by fixer1967 because: Add more

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
This happens to all of us now and then.

If this is happening to you ALL the time, you need to see a doctor. You could have a serious brain condition.

....or, go back to school

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I think its mispelled not missed spelled, sorry but
we are speaking of spelling here, right

Never mind - either is correct - no wonder we
are confused

edit on 15-5-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy

I think its mispelled not missed spelled, sorry but
we are speaking of spelling here, right

Typing error: "its" should be spelled like this --> it's....just sayin

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Some times the simplest of words. Words I have been spelling out my whole life. And words that might have come simply , now need to be waited for.

Old age? Brain rust? Maybe we are thinking faster and our old linguistic constructs cannot keep up?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
reply to post by new_here

Some times the simplest of words. Words I have been spelling out my whole life. And words that might have come simply , now need to be waited for.

Old age? Brain rust? Maybe we are thinking faster and our old linguistic constructs cannot keep up?

It's spelled sometimes...not some times...sigh~ just sayin

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Good god! 2 posts back to back and already there were typing errors...either:

a) we spend too much time typing on the computer frying our brains out,
b) not spending enough time reading books to comprehend meanings of words, or
c) HAARP is doing something to alter our ways of thinking.

So many other factors to consider, but these will do for now. Mind you what I have noticed that anytime I made a typing error it is easy to press delete delete a few times and then retype the word. Therefore, while our brains may know how to spell the word correctly, our hands are the lazy ones because we are trying to remember which keyboard keys are the correct letter for spelling???

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
When I was a kid I was a spelling-bee champ. Couldn't stump me! But as I've gotten older I've been noticing the same thing as the OP. Someone asks me for a spelling of a word, I give it to them, and then I stop and say, "Oh, wait. Could that possibly be right?" Sometimes (more often than I like) I'm wrong and I have to correct myself.

It also happens when I look up a name or phrase on Wikipedia, or when I do a Google search.

Maybe it's a brain leak of some sort. Or maybe when you learn something new, something you already know's gotta go!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I was just wondering if anyone esle had seen this and the answer seems to be a big "YES". I guess I can handle it just as long as the meaning of words do not start to change as well like the the Twlight Zone "Wordplay"

By the way if you have not watched it then maybe you should. Just think what that poor man is dealing with.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I'm so busted. Grabbed a chuckle offa that one I did.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join