It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toms toothpaste and Flouride.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Seems like Toms has always been my choice of toothpaste for a long time. Today I was at Wally World and I went to try to find some Toms. Sure enough I found like 6 different flavors, crazy thing is now all the choices (at least at walmart) have flouride in them. I went to the local grocery afterwards and they had about 6 flavors and I found one without flouride. It used to be the other way around from what I remember.

I saw in a documentary recently (maybe food Inc?) that they were bought out by Colgate. Just makes me wonder why they decided to put flouride in most of their toothpaste now. If you don't read the box closely and see the little flouride letters, you'd probably never even know.

Its just funny to see a "natural" toothpaste with a warning that if its swallowed to call a poison control center immediately, written on the back.

Just spreading the word.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Thanks for posting. I had to go look and nope still getting fluoride free Toms. It's "anti plaque and whitening" with peppermint flavor.

Yep, Colgate does own Toms since 2006.

In 2006, the huge consumer goods company Colgate-Palmolive bought Tom’s of Maine, a leader in the natural toothpaste and consumer goods market. Via www.divinecaroline.com...

edit on 14-5-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Apparently it's a choice now.

What's not in Tom's toothpaste?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Why is mint the most common flavor of toothpaste?

1) Naturally makes you salivate

and

2) Makes you thirsty

Most people swallow the remaining toothpaste after they brush instead of rinsing there mouth out. Subjecting themselves to fluoride poisoning 1-2 times a day. My theory is mint wasn't used to be a breath freshener but a way to get people to swallow that miniscule amount of fluoride everytime they brush.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Tom's was recommended to me by a councilor in one of the court ordered drug and alcohol clinics I attended, after being arrested for pot. (whole story in some other past/post somewhere)
Seems (according to him, anyway) that regular toothpaste not only contains fluoride, but may cause a false positive in a urinalysis and may also trigger a relapse in an addictive personality.
Nice to hear there's new flavors, sad to hear they've been poisoned.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Yes already bought Tom's our regular before i noticed the change and looked it up and found the sell of the company. Anything good never lasts! it is always grabed by the big congloms and we never get anywhere with improving our lives and health!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackStar99
Why is mint the most common flavor of toothpaste?

1) Naturally makes you salivate

and

2) Makes you thirsty

Most people swallow the remaining toothpaste after they brush instead of rinsing there mouth out. Subjecting themselves to fluoride poisoning 1-2 times a day. My theory is mint wasn't used to be a breath freshener but a way to get people to swallow that miniscule amount of fluoride everytime they brush.
No, it doesn't matter. The toothpaste is absorbed through the walls of the mouth and enter into the bloodstream, and is possibly more dangerous than swallowing a small amount of fluoridated toothpaste.

This is why I don't use mouthwash like Listerine, which also tells you to swish the liquid around for 30 or so seconds... No thanks!
edit on 14/5/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

There's always baking soda and peroxide, very effective and fluoride-free (not to mention dirt cheap).

Think I'll get back on that wagon when my current tube of Tom's runs out. If you ever try it, just be sure not to use too much peroxide, burned my gums one time.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I had the same problem, I use the toothpaste by Burts Bee's, no flouride and it tastes better too.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

No, it doesn't matter. The toothpaste is absorbed through the walls of the mouth and enter into the bloodstream, and is possibly more dangerous than swallowing a small amount of fluoridated toothpaste.

This is why I don't use mouthwash like Listerine, which also tells you to swish the liquid around for 30 or so seconds... No thanks!
edit on 14/5/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

Or both... Your right though, sublingual absortion of fluoride would probably have more of an effect as the mouth allows direct access to your bloodstream.

EDIT: So I just did more digging and it appears that numerous studies show that menthol makes skin and tissue more absorbant to other things, it's all making sense...
edit on 14-5-2011 by BlackStar99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AllInMyHead

haha even the burts bees at walmart had flouride. I never checked at the other store. Thanks though I'll be looking out.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

It seems to be 50/50 with Toms, I go to Fred Myer and they have a mix of both I use peppermint and it's fluoride free. They also make some great deodorant as well.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I'm fine with fluoride toothpaste. I don't use as much, but I still use it. I think it's safe. I think those warnings are just standard legal procedure so that if some kid swallows a lot, the parents cannot sue. (And you know they would!)

I consider all the worrying people do over these things to be worse than the actual risk. Think about it. Even if it were completely safe, if you believe it is harmful, it becomes that way.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Oh, and why not make your own toothpaste? I'm sure there are recipes online.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

they just found links between alcohol and mouth cancer, and listerine is chock full of alcohol. J.A.S.O.N. makes all natural mouth wash....sea kelp and a bunch of other stuff from the sea. the taste is......interesting, but it works

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

I'm fine with fluoride toothpaste. I don't use as much, but I still use it. I think it's safe. I think those warnings are just standard legal procedure so that if some kid swallows a lot, the parents cannot sue. (And you know they would!)

I consider all the worrying people do over these things to be worse than the actual risk. Think about it. Even if it were completely safe, if you believe it is harmful, it becomes that way.

So I'm guessing you don't the effects of fluoride on the human body?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I'm highly sensitive to the SLS in almost all toothpastes -- even the so-called natural ones; so I've done a lot of experimenting but to be honest have not found the answer yet. The Australian who does the "Dom's Kefir" site has his own concoction which he swears by, but it seems a bit on the expensive side.

Here's the link:
Dom's ToothSaving Paste

If anyone has tried it I would like to know what you think.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
A couple of years ago I made the decision to limit my fluoride intake. That included purchasing a Berkey water filtration unit outfitted with fluoride reduction filters and switching to a non-fluoride toothpaste. It was difficult to find a toothpaste product that contained neither sodium fluoride or SLS. but here in Canada I eventually discovered a brand called Green Beaver. I like the product and most of the flavours it offers. The only drawback is that it is very pricy as most of these natural products are.

For the past couple of weeks I have resorted to using a homemade toothpaste that consists of equal parts organic coconut oil (a solid at room temp) and baking soda with xylitol added for flavour. It can be stored at room temperature. I have had to get accustomed to the different texture and lack of 'foaming' effect and the inconvenience of not being able to quickly dispense it from a tube, but I have the peace of mind that I am avoiding the chemical ingredients of conventional toothpastes.

During my conversion to the non-fluoride/SLS brand, I did a good deal of reading of listed ingredients and was surprised by the number of toothpastes marketed as 'natural' that appeared to be anything but.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I have an adult son who suffers from recurring canker sores inside the mouth. It was recommended to him that he use a toothpaste without SLS as this is known to irritate oral tissues. It wasn't easy to find a such a product but it helped immensely in reducing the occurrence of his outbreaks.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GoneGrey

Yes, I fully understand. My dentist kept telling me to brush more. The more I brushed, the more irritated my gums became; until I finally made the connection. As SLS is in almost every shampoo, detergent and soap as well, I have taken to eliminating all of those and use only water -- believe it or not it actually works just fine, lol. Except that with my diet I still have to find something more than water to deal with the teeth. I'm using a commercial product on a limited basis for the time being.

I might just break down and pay up for Dom's home made stuff because it seems like a really logical concoction free of all the harsh chemicals.

new topics

top topics

join