It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul: "I Would Not Have Voted For The 1964 Civil Rights Act"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Knee jerk reaction of you. No demoncrat voted for the civil rights bill and the minorities have kept them in power for over half a century. How bout Bird? Died in office head of clan.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Lol, so the government should put a gun to someones head and tell them not to be racist? That doesn't work. You can't eliminate racism by declaring it illegal any more than you can eliminate a dog barking by declaring it illegal.

No...it isn't about eliminating racism...that will always exist. It is about making DISCRIMINATION illegal.

People are very very naive (and most likely white), if they believe "market forces" will eliminate discrimination.

I'm not white, lol. You act like discrimination doesn't exist today, when it does. The government isn't helping anything, only making it worse.
edit on 14-5-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by D1Useek
Knee jerk reaction of you. No demoncrat voted for the civil rights bill and the minorities have kept them in power for over half a century. How bout Bird? Died in office head of clan.

Distort much???

How about no CONSERVATIVE voted for the civil rights bill.

Back then..."democrats" were mostly southern conservatives....and now those southern conservatives are REPUBLICANS.

Nice try...but it isn't gonna fly.
edit on 14-5-2011 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Yes...it appears that most of Ron Paul's supporters are not white...on the internet.

Funny how that doesn't translate to his real world events.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Bend da truth much? DEMONCRATS. Say it with me. They were DEMONCRATS. The sooner you realize that the healing can begin.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Bend da truth much? DEMONCRATS. Say it with me. They were DEMONCRATS. The sooner you realize that the healing can begin.

You don't know the difference between party labels and ideology...do you?

So sad.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Well, let me clear this up for you:

If EVERY store owner is allowed to discriminate, then who the hell are they going to sell to? Where's the logic behind this? Do you want a return to a segregated, Jim Crow America?

Ron Paul claims that this is something the markets could have sorted out. Social issues are not economic issues and therefore, should be separate.

Jim Crow laws were mandatory compliance to racism = EVIL
1964 laws were mandatory compliance to regulated racism = UNNECESSARY

Ridding the nation of Jim Crow laws were all that were necessary to stop segregation. The 1964 civil rights law (which I would have voted for in my state) should have never touched private property laws. It uses the word "rights" yet it grants none in that respect, it just removes rights. It was a beautiful act with some minor flaws. Some people get hung up on the spirit of those flaws.

While I would have voted for it, I will not fault him for not voting for it if it was based on the principle of private property rights. Again... this was a federal act. He has always been against any federal legislation telling anybody what to do. Period. It's not their job, it's the state's job.

On a side-note, several issues could be made into racial ones. Take the Patriot Act. It allows for unchecked racial profiling yet most politicians were cool with it. Ron Paul was not for the same reason he was against the 1964 laws. It conflicted with personal liberties. Why aren't the people who voted for the Patriot Act called racists?

Things aren't so black and white. It's hard having principles.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Hey, you're the one implying that only white people are supporting him on this (sorry, I don't have any minority views or opinions on this specific issue as yet - if you can provide some, I'd appreciate). I was just illustrating that he DOES have minority support as shown here, in the videos I posted, for his views against the drug war, among others, that actually help minorities.

If you want to explain to me how those in the videos are wrong or just shills, so be it - but this debate on his personal views over the CRA are a side issue of little importance in light of everything else we're dealing with.
edit on 5/14/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Yes...it appears that most of Ron Paul's supporters are not white...on the internet.

Really I am not white, I am half white though. Me and my friends won't attend Ron Paul events because we know what people like you would call us....

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I don't understand why the US has system like it does. Why is about property rights in the first place or freedom of speach? We have a pretty much perfect system here. All places that are publicly accessible are public. Including all stores etc. Discrimination is against the law. Vóila.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Yes look at the ideology. Keeping my brothers and sisters enslaved for over half a century by keeping us indentured servants. It's happening in front of your inexperienced little eyes today with the Latinos.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Just for my curiosity, where and when have we seen visible groundswells of black political grassroots support in the offline world? What candidates HAVE they come out for, as my knowledge on this is just limited to the polling from some years back with the Ron Paul run.

I'm honestly just asking a question here, not making any statement.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
My brother's and sister's of the world, not just America, unite! Black, white, brown, red, yellow... tell the government you will not take their drug! You will not become addicted to their ghetos! Addicted to their welfare! Addicted to their hand outs! YOU WILL... pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

A brief history refresher:

In 1948, Democrats alienated white Southerners in two ways. The Democratic National Convention adopted a strong civil rights plank, leading to a walkout by Southerners. Two weeks later President Harry Truman signed Executive Order 9981 integrating the armed forces. From 1948 onward, southern whites against integration looked for political accommodation for their views.

After passage of the Civil Rights Act most Southerners accepted the integration of most institutions (except public schools). With the old barrier to becoming a Republican removed, traditional Southerners joined the new middle class and the Northern transplants in moving toward the Republican Party.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 14-5-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pplrnuts

Um, I am caucasian and I would utterly refuse to shop at a segregated store. Generalize much?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

Really I am not white, I am half white though. Me and my friends won't attend Ron Paul events because we know what people like you would call us....

And what would "people like me" call you?

I don't care what individuals support or not...I do care about people trying to use a few examples of african americans to make it look like, in general, african americans support Ron Paul.

It's dishonest.

If you are denying that Ron Paul's support is overwhelmingly white...well then I can't really discuss an issue if people aren't willing to stay within the confines of reality.
edit on 14-5-2011 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Can you tell me some national-level politicians whose supporters aren't overwhelmingly white (and provide statistics to confirm)?

This one's making me curious.
edit on 5/14/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

And what money will you have to spend when the "Help Wanted - Whites Only" signs go up???

I don't work for a restaurant, I work for a public company
They will not be allowed to do that

Secondly do you know how many private establishments are owned by indians, chinese or blacks?

Why do you assume only white people are entrepreneurs?
Isn't that a discriminatory assumption?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I agree that the civil rights act is not needed now.

But segregation wouldn't have removed itself naturally, believing that is silly.

Does anyone care to recount the violence prior to this???

Anyone?

No because it would require nuance, we are adverse to that around here

What happened in 65?

Johnson surely enjoyed losing a good third of his party, that's for sure
what a bonus
edit on 14-5-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
This massive trolling thread should be closed, the op of this thread has obviously not watched the video and can only post a second party quoting of Ronny boy, to make him sound racist. This is a moot point as he is arguing the basis behind the movement and not the racially motivated discrimination that caused the civil rights movement. Understand the topic at hand, don't get caught up in the spin, as the op has done.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join