It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Introduces Bill To Expand Presidents War Powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
www.presstv.ir...

The US Congress has introduced a resolution that would give the US president wide latitude of powers to wage war on other countries as part of the "war on terror."

The proposed legislation clearly states that "the president has the authority to use all necessary and appropriate force during the current armed conflict with al Qaeda, the Taliban, and associated forces pursuant to the authorization for use of military force."

It is expected to replace legislation endorsed by the US Congress on Sept. 14, 2001 that authorized war on the people and groups that planned and carried out the September 11 attacks on the twin World Trade Center buildings in New York.

Well now, I guess the government can attack whoever they want to....legally....if the bill passes. "Associated forces". Does that mean they can target anyone who they think might be related to terrorism? How long was the DHS list of possible terrorism suspects again?

Heres another article www.washingtontimes.com...

In a statement this week, Mr. McKeon said the new resolution does not expand authorities. “The legislation better aligns the old legal authorities used to detain and prosecute those intent on attacking America with the threats our country faces today,” he said.

Oh okay, so this new resolution dosent really do anything......whew, I was worried there for a second. Wait, if this doesnt expand anything, why do they need a new bill then????

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
This is likely pointed to the "extreme right" groups, christians, constitutionalists, anyone that has a bad opinion of Barry and the gang.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
if this doesnt expand anything, why do they need a new bill then????

They gotta do something to look like their working

I liked how the article stated that the ACLU is worred because there is no end date.

This is easy...the new powers end once terror is defeated, and all offshoots of terror...such as prone position, anger, and yelling.

Terror is a tactic, not a nation. The stupidest thing was declaring a war on a tactic...not to mention that the war itself is only breeding more terrorists (yes, go figure, someone watching their family blown to bits isn't suddenly a happy go lucky person)....

The "war on terror" will be indefinate

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

It's a nice, easy way to get rid of all the troublesome people. You know...the ones who think for themselves, the ones who don't agree with the current regime, those against the patriot act, etc.
It's now a way to lump in everyday Americans with "terrorists".

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hillbilly123069
This is likely pointed to the "extreme right" groups, christians, constitutionalists, anyone that has a bad opinion of Barry and the gang.

Yep its all out war on the people of America and the world.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Why does that bill sound suspiciously like this bill?

en.wikipedia.org...

History IS repeating itself people. Only this time, it's being manufactured by those in power rather than them simply capitalizing on events. If you've done your homework on the Weimar republic and the rise of Nazi Germany, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, set aside some time and do some reading.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Heres a clip from RT that covers this somewhat

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by UcDat

I've never done anything to bring concern to any government body...

but in the spirit of what you two just said...

I Love our President... Barrack Obama is a swell guy and awesome leader!

edit on 5/13/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Either that's sarcasm (hopefully), or you're doing a bit of CYA.

If it's the latter, I suggest you start reading up on the Vichy French...so you'll know how to be a good puppet for the new fascist regime.

ETA: How's the floodwaters where you are? I know you've been on top of them from the start.

edit on 13-5-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

One day your life might depend on being a puppet...

I wouldnt mind my strings being jerked once in a while
lol
If I get to breathe in the process...

Until that day come...

I think Obama is a sorry president

The Flood... well it hasnt effected me personally
Its fine around here...
But Its been a bit of my "Crusade"
as it were

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by UcDat

How long have you guys been saying that now?

2 and a half years?

I haven't seen any boots or detainment centers, time's running out,

it is all so very dramatic guys...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aa5a9764fef2.jpeg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric

One day your life might depend on being a puppet...

I wouldnt mind my strings being jerked once in a while
lol
If I get to breathe in the process...

Until that day come...

I think Obama is a sorry president

The Flood... well it hasnt effected me personally
Its fine around here...
But Its been a bit of my "Crusade"
as it were

I cut those strings already, and I'll die before letting someone reattach them.

I would rather have a life short and free than long and controlled by others.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Can you say "Enabling Act"?
I knew that you could.

This is going beyond obscene - they want unlimited Presidential Powers?
I thought he already had them, like didn't he just declare war on Libya?

If he believes in it so much he should go fight it himself.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This is a bit of what the ACLU had to say about this proposed act, direct from a couple of articles on the ACLU site.

Source: ACLU article

New Authorization of Worldwide War Without End?

...Congress is considering monumental new legislation that would grant the president – and all presidents after him – sweeping new power to make war almost anywhere and everywhere. Unlike previous grants of authority for the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, the proposed legislation would allow a president to use military force wherever terrorism suspects are present in the world, regardless of whether there has been any harm to U.S. citizens, or any attack on the United States, or any imminent threat of an attack. The legislation is broad enough to permit a president to use military force within the United States and against American citizens. The legislation contains no expiration date, and no criteria to determine when a president’s authority to use military force would end...

Source: ACLU article

Unchecked Executive War Power Could Slip Through the House

...Before Congress this week, the proposed authorization of a worldwide war goes much further, however, allowing war wherever there are terrorism suspects in any country around the world without an expiration date, geographical boundaries or connection to the 9/11 attacks or any other specific harm or threat to the United States...

This is just plain scary... The president (or any future president) could take military action anywhere in the world that there are terrorism suspects in any country. Yes, suspects...

new topics

top topics

join