It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Library of Congress - National Jukebox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
So I'm listening to "Smiler Rag" by composer Percy Wenrich on the National Jukebox.

At launch, the Jukebox includes more than 10,000 recordings made by the Victor Talking Machine Company between 1901 and 1925. Jukebox content will be increased regularly, with additional Victor recordings and acoustically recorded titles made by other Sony-owned U.S. labels, including Columbia, OKeh, and others.

You can browse all recordings by genre, composer, author, date range, and several other options. This is an interesting treasure trove of music.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
cool find thx. s+f

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Total crap

No elvis?

pfft...I will stick to a bajillion other sources than this.

Congress sucks in regards to its jukebox choice...no elvis (or doors, or lady gaga, or anything known really...hmm..I imagine swanee river is on it..pfft)

no star, no flag, and a accusing finger wagging in your face for showing how politics fails at art preservation.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

What about history preservation? Surely there was more than Elvis, Doors or Gaga in the States? I think it is something of great value that helps preserve part of the heritage.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi

What about history preservation? Surely there was more than Elvis, Doors or Gaga in the States? I think it is something of great value that helps preserve part of the heritage.

History preservation is fine, but they are missing most of the big artists..hell, most of the middle and smaller ones also.

For instance, in 25, the big epic hit of the day was Collegiate.

But your right...and will now star/flag for reminding me of the flappers...total hawtness that puts our generations sexy to shame...pfft...and they say lady gaga is risque

But ya, they are missing some big ones of the pre-30s (come on...roaring 20s here)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

So... For you to know that, does it mean you are a hundred of years old?

The big names probably wanted too much money. I don't recall seeing Elvis on Times Old Songs CDs.

on Times Old Songs CDs.

Did that make sense? I don't remember the name of the collection(s).
edit on 12-5-2011 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Sure this stuff isn't on my iPod but it's really interesting to browse and see what's there. Sure they'll add more soon. They just launched this yesterday.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi

So... For you to know that, does it mean you are a hundred of years old?

Technically, 238

I guess I won't mention how Louis Armstrong is flat out missing from this...

I have had a interest in the 20s and 30s...they make our sexification of media tame by comparison.

(alice white...soo damn hot)

Ann Pennington = shows a whole bunch of rump

(Check out them gams!
)

And no, the great depression only made is want more of the less...

Hey toots, how bout you plant them smackers over here!

Our great grandparents = better partiers and far more pervier than we are today...and we have the nerve to criticize the culture of today from being oversexed in their presentation. pfft.

I do miss how men used to wear suits all the time though. Men should wear suits.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7db267f9b67e.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/41b7fe39fd9a.jpg[/atsimg]
(Eat your heart out Britney)

edit on 12-5-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I totally agree with you! I don't care much for a mini-skirt, but show me a woman with a skirt going to her knees and I go VA-VA-VOOM!

With the apparition of TV station that shows old movies, I've been able to show some old ones to the kids. At first, they were all "Old movies? Pff... Lame!" After seeing how a good script can have an effect on a movie, they can't get enough!

But when revisiting those old movies, I'm surprised to see all the sex floating barely below the surface...!

The videos you put were great! I love the last one the most! I had a good laugh! Now, if they could put some Harold Lloyd movies on TV. I love this guy waaaaay better than Chaplin, that I like a lot. And Buster Keaton.

About Armstrong, it must be the same thing with the rights as that of Elvis. Someone holds them and is still making money out of it. This Congressional project is for the less "successful" ones, but it doesn't mean they are/were crappy!

I hope I'll be as much in shape as you seem to be when I turn 238!

top topics

join