It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds methane in water near hydro-fracking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
here it is the proof of what we already knew. Fracking is just like it sounds a Frack-up

WASHINGTON — Methane leaks are contaminating drinking water near shale gas drilling sites in the northeastern United States, scientists said Tuesday, placing a further question mark over this fast-growing energy source. Scientists tested water samples taken from 68 private wells in five counties in Pennsylvania and New York to explore accusations that "hydro-fracking" -- a contested technique to extract shale gas -- has contaminated groundwater. Methane was found in 85 percent of the samples, and at sites within a kilometer (0.6 mile) of active hydraulic-fracturing operations, levels were 17 times higher than in wells far from such operations, said the study by researchers at Duke University in North Carolina.

source

The paper found no evidence of contamination from the chemicals used to fracture the rock or from "produced" water -- the wastewater that emerges from the wells after the shale has been fractured.

some good news about the fracking fluid not getting into the drinking water but this type of soil would filter most everything out that is why we only see the gas... this is also evidence to support the theory that methane is what caused the bird die offs in Ark.

"We are just revealing something that should have been revealed long ago before the boom took place. In some places it might be too late."

The study, published on Monday in the peer-reviewed journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), said the methane sampled near the fracking sites had an isotopic fingerprint that pointed to its source.

In April, scientists from New York's Cornell University found that current extraction techniques meant that shale gas carried a greater carbon footprint than oil, coal and conventional gas over at least a 20-year period.

we know methane can suffocate, but there needs more study on the affect of ingesting methane.

the conspiracy theorist in me keeps feeling like they are doing this on purpose to contaminate people Well water...
this will in turn effect crops and livestock.
edit on 5/11/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

the conspiracy theorist in me keeps feeling like they are doing this on purpose to contaminate people Well water...

Another aspect to think about....Ruin all of our well water = more dependence on government.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
So methane acts like carbonation and causes the water to bubble with a gas? This is a BS study done just to make fracturing look bad. More fracturing (fracking) happens in my area in a more condensed manner than anywhere else and yet there is no methane being pushed out anywhere other than cows rearends. I am really getting tired of all of this "fracturing" crap that is being spewed everywhere. People really need to dig deeper than the studies that special interest groups like "greenpeace" and the likes are putting out. Their studies and findings are slanted to an agenda.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

un-fracking believable!!

being in Water supply safety .... i'm aghast....

What Are we doing????
edit on 5/11/11 by darrman because: spellinglish

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Umm... Have you seen the documentary Gasland? You should really watch that. I don't think you're informed of the plethora of dangers associated with fracking.

topdocumentaryfilms.com...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OrganicAnagram33

I have lived in an active gas field all my life and one thing I can say for sure is fracking is bad...I have many friends whose water supplies are corrupted and they never had a problem until they started drilling for coal seam gas.I have watched frack crews go in fracture and leave,only to have everybody's well go bad.The poster that mentioned Gasland pointed something out...watch it and you will see my hometown and a former friend in it,and everything you see in this movie,I have seen with my own eyes.I just wonder if they can clean it up,I don'tsee how..but from my experience,Hydraulic fracking is problematic at best.Really it's dangerous..peace Ya'll

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrganicAnagram33

Umm... Have you seen the documentary Gasland? You should really watch that. I don't think you're informed of the plethora of dangers associated with fracking.

topdocumentaryfilms.com...

Once again a very slanted documentary shall we say but I would more likely call it a piece of propaganda. I am very informed as to the affects and dangers of fracking. I have been around it for some 15 years and dealing with land owners who's land has been drilled and fracked. Yet there has been little to no problems at all with water contamination or sudden methane gas leaks. You are buying into propaganda by special interest groups instead of true data, pay mind to the fact that alot of "university research" is very politcally motivated and is pushed by individuals or special interest groups.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
I am very informed as to the affects and dangers of fracking.

I have only recently become aware of fracking. Could you briefly tell me what some of the actual dangers of fracking are? Or some links to non-biased sites or some terms to google.

I don't have a lot of spare time these days, so I'd rather not waste it watching a biased docu.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Really...then why did my mom,my cousin and my moms neighbors have to abandon their wells and start hauling water after hole were punched close to their homes...Look into San Juan County CO before you try and convince me of something contradictory to what I have seen over the past 26 years

And oh yes,their water supply was deemed unsafe just 40 days after the last well was punched.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I was trying to avoid saying it, but you're being straight-up ignorant. You may not have any problems in your area, but many others have have serious problems. You got lucky... or maybe you didn't, seeing how your brain appears not to be functioning properly.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Yep,I even know people who are sick because of it...whetherGasland is biased or not you cannot ignore the truth of the situation
some of these people need to live outside of town,in the middle of the patch,have well water and then let BJ come in and frac...then tell me its safe...peace Ya'll

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Gas Industry Faces the Dangers of Fracking

Last week the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection shut down some operations of natural gas driller Cabot Oil & Gas after 8,000 gallons of toxic chemicals were spilled on the ground and into a creek in Susquehanna County.

Dangers of fracking greater than previously understood

While the existence of the toxic wastes has been reported, thousands of internal documents obtained by The New York Times from the Environmental Protection Agency, state regulators and drillers show that the dangers to the environment and health are greater than previously understood. The documents reveal that the wastewater, which is sometimes hauled to sewage plants not designed to treat it and then discharged into rivers that supply drinking water, contains radioactivity at levels higher than previously known and far higher than the level that federal regulators say is safe for these treatment plants to handle. The Times also found never-reported studies by the EPA and a confidential study by the drilling industry that all concluded that radioactivity in drilling waste cannot be fully diluted in rivers and other waterways. But the EPA has not intervened. The risks are particularly severe in Pennsylvania, where drilling has increased. "In shifting away from coal and toward natural gas, we're trying for cleaner air, but we're producing massive amounts of toxic wastewater with salts and naturally occurring radioactive materials, and it's not clear we have a plan for properly handling this waste," said John Quigley, who left last month as secretary of Pennsylvania's Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

15 Claims the Natural Gas Industry Wants You to Believe and Why They're Wrong

Industry spends millions trying to convince the public and our lawmakers of the benefits of "natural" gas, but a quick look at the propaganda reveals some deep flaws. The gall of gas megacorporations is surpassed only by the preposterousness of their claims. They spend millions each year trying to convince the public and our lawmakers of the benefits of "natural" gas (NG), but a quick look at their propaganda reveals some deep flaws.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

thanks for the great reply... links say more than any doublespeak!!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
yep firsthand experience doesn't hold much water around here.....You should look into San Juan county Colorado and New Mexico.There are many reported issues with the water since fracking became a way of life there,as I said I've been living with it for years,grew up in San Juan county New Mexico,now I live in Odessa Tx..go figure..peace Ya'll

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

Start at minute 13 of the player.

Here's more bad water....

frackingcanada.blogspot.com...

edit on 12-5-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Figured I would add this information to this thread. It seems that the EPA was mistaken to remove it's claims that the fracking was causing methane in water in Texas. Seems like the state is bending over backwards for industry passing laws that limit people's rights to make claims. Here is the link. www.newsdaily.com...

new topics

top topics

join