It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Osama Bin Laden Raid: Pakistan Hints China Wants a Peek at Secret Helicopter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Osama Bin Laden Raid: Pakistan Hints China Wants a Peek at Secret Helicopter

abcnews.go.com

Pakistani officials said today they're interested in studying the remains of the U.S.'s secret stealth-modified helicopter abandoned during the Navy SEAL raid of Osama bin Laden's compound, and suggest the Chinese are as well.

The U.S. has already asked the Pakistanis for the helicopter wreckage back, but one Pakistani official told ABC News the Chinese were also "very interested" in seeing the remains. Another official said, "We might let them [the Chinese] take a look."

A U.S. official said he did not know if the Pakistanis had offered a peek to the Chinese, but said he would be
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

The helicopter's remains have apparently become another chip in a tense, high-stakes game of diplomacy between the U.S. and Pakistan following the U.S.'s unilateral military raid of bin Laden's compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan, more than a week ago. The potential technological advancements gleaned from the bird could be a "much appreciated gift" to the Chinese, according to former White House counterterrorism advisor and ABC News consultant Richard Clarke.

"Because Pakistan gets access to Chinese missile technology and other advanced systems, Islamabad is always looking for ways to give China something in return," Clarke said.

The Chinese and Pakistani governments are known to have a close relationship. Last month Punjab Chief Minister Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif concluded a trip to Beijing, afterwards telling Pakistan's local press that China was Pakistan's "best friend."

I'm also surprised that the Chinese doesn't have it yet, or got a chance to take a peek. Or is it that the Pakistanis are hoping to encourage the U.S. got give more money to get the helo back? I was thinking that cutting off the 3 billion dollar aid would be enough to get the chopper back. Don't know if the Chinese are willing to pay 3 billion in aid annually.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I think if it was really an issue we would have destroyed this after the assault.
We have done it before, even WW2 bombers had explosive devices places on the targeting apparatus, that was state of the art at the time, set to go off if the plane went down.
This seems too easy a story to release to get attention away from the real issues and make future arguments for diplomacy when the US does this again in the future somewhere else.
At worst case China already has this and just wants to compare notes!
edit on 5/10/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Well the Chinese has all the money or so we're led to believe. They will probably be able to pay double the 3 Billion. Would it be worth it? Sure it would.

It makes you wonder what cutbacks are being made with regards to the training of the pilots.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This is not gonna be a huge issue tactically. While China's understanding and implementation of stealth technology in their aircraft is still in it's infancy, it is already high enough to make it so that they don't learn much more than they already know from the downed Blackhawk.

tl;dr: It will increase China's understanding of stealth technology but not by much.

It's just a political game at this stage.

S&F OP. Thanks.

IT--

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I wish they would tell us already what kind of Heli it is and post some pictures. The artist renditions I've seen look amazing.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Wow just goes to prove the Pakistan goverment is not our friend. Their goverment was prbly paying Osama's rent! lol

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Forget the helicopter, China should send in operatives to collect DNA evidence from the scene at the compound, and prove to the world that either Osama was actually there, or that he never was.

They'd become the new global hero, and destroy the image of the USA in the process.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
US-to-Pakistan: you go ahead and give those pieces to china. we'll be over here letting our friends in India borrow a fleet or two. im sure they can make good use of them.

applesauce anyone?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
if i were the chinese, i would like to get a closer look at other technology used during the raid.

according to witnesses in the town were the raid took place, as soon as the helicopters entered the area all cell phone coverage and electrical power was cut off, as soon as they left all the power and cell phones turned back on with no apparent destruction of electrical infrastructure.

this means that the u.s. has some sort of emp device that can knock out electricity without destroying the local grid with a bomb or affecting their equipment.

it might also explain the mechanical failure of the one of the choppers. maybe it wasn't properly insulated.

also the weapons they used. it is common knowledge that special forces get the latest in military technology and weapons.

i find it incredible that they were able to kill their way to bin laden thru 20+ armed guards in close quarter combat without a casualty. the bodies were also removed, probably to hide evidence of the types of weapons they used.

it reminds me of the interview with that tool and sellout, bob woodward made, were he said he had knowledge of secret weapons and tactics so advanced, that down the road, people would look back and think that it was out of star wars or the future.

edit on 10-5-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Well it really shows their true colors doesn't it. It's a very easy fix and will accomplish more things in the middle east than we have in ten years. Move all troops to a base in Russia and we simply send over a few intercontinental ballistic missiles with multiple thermo nuclear war heads aiming for the wreckage of course. And the worlds a much better place.

Problems solved and you wipe out 98 percent of the worlds terrorists.
edit on 5/10/2011 by JerryB08 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

All they are going to see is the tail section. They are lucky if they can build a light bulb with out stealing the technology. The main rotors the one that makes all the noise plus the shape.. It's propaganda. They won't be alble to use anything from it except learn the make up of the skin. How many Billions of dollars have we given them? Obviously that's a breach of contract. I'd tell them we want every penny back. If Congress wouldn't okay the nuke strike.lol They have been double dealing for 10 years. And we have known it.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Standard policy is to destroy something like this, and they did destroy the major systems and cockpit of it. The tail of it is mostly all that is left.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

ha ha. Do you think China has any interest in becoming a world hero? China's interest is China.
Once they figure out the USA doesn't want to be the world's police department. It's going to be comical to watch all the countries that were our friends when they felt like they needed protection having to learn Chinese. They will never be able to buy the resources they need. Look at German and Russia ten years and 5 years before World War 2. History always repeats itself. Japan needed oil and why they attacked pearl harbor. China needs food it's people are starving so they are arming up. It's a lot cheaper just to take what they need.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Nuke 'em until they stop their jihad. Then return what s left back to India. Muslim "independence" is an illusion.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

It makes you wonder what cutbacks are being made with regards to the training of the pilots.

Funny you should say that. In fact, us old guys were taught in real helos to glide (autorotate) from altitude to touchdown in what is called a full-down autorotation without engine power, both as training for dealing with engine failure at altitude and to learn the fastest, quietest way down in one piece- Anytime, Anyplace...

edit on 10-5-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Not sure how. But unless our gov is made up of a bunch of panzies. Pakistan will pay big time, for their handling of this. It's a shame that obviously you can't trust any Arab countries. They are obviously all the enemy. I think it's about they're treated that way. They need to be disarmed of their nukes

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
it's just the tail...if i'm not mistaken...the brunt of most of the important tech would be in the main body of the helicopter...the most the chinese will get out of the tail is a new rutter design that is probably only 5% of the reason the helicopter is considered stealth to begin with

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Militarily China is still having major problem duplicating technology we designed in the early 1970's. Remember they're a communist country. They don't have half the know how or power they claim. Their "New: Stealth fighter was a finished prototype that the Russians built and couldn't afford to build to build in volume so they sold it to China. Same with the n"new carrier" Russia sold them that in 1998. Anything with in 20 years old technology wise. They bought it somewhere else. The thermal imagery sights for their modernized 1960 T72's. They bought off of Israel. They are so very far behind. We sold them that supper computer they "beat" us with.. Their a joke. Their skill levels you can find by buying something at Wal mart. South Korea is a country that's not far behind the US in military technology. But China's not even close. But they will do what ever it takes to get there.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
A mate told me several days ago that he saw on one of Australias 2 reputable news programs (SBS), it was claimed the Chinese already had it.

I didnt believe it because I was certain that if such a rumour was true, I'd have surely seen it here on ATS, while Ive only noticed this thread.

It appears to me that Pakistan need to make a big decision rather soon, China or the USA. If they give this tail to the Chinese, I assume the US will bring down a load of pain on them, if it returns to the US then its no loss, so a simple decision really, though the US did leave their PM with no choice but to save face somehow.

My bet is they will take photos from every possible angle, measure every part, & do every type of scan they can, as well as take some paint samples, then return it. Then again, Pakistan doesnt have a great record of acting with common sense, be it on a sporting field or battle field.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join