It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cumbrian Spaceman

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
He looks like a bee keeper to me.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
[ShadowXIX]: if this is some guy taking a picture of his baby daughter, he's probably kneeling low on the ground to get the shot. If that's right, then the height is less of an issue; if you've got a digital camera and a couple friends you can fake a similar-looking photo easily by having one friend sit, one stand behind the sitting friend, and you taking pictures from close to the ground until you get the sizes right. This is even easier to do outside, where there's less stuff in the background to help you get an idea of what size everything is.

heelstone (and everyone): this photo certainly is an easy sort of thing to fake, but the background behind it makes it seem less likely to have been faked. If we assume for the moment that the photo's real (ie, not a hoax) then it'd be nice to know:

a) why the spacesuit guy wasn't seen at the time the picture was taken?
b) why haven't more photos turned up with extra people in them?

to me b) is the more interesting question: if like heelstone says a lot of very smart, very careful intelligent races are visiting they are pretty good at stealth, and avoid being seen; if that's the case it looks like their "stealth" is more based on some kind of mental tricks then on making themselves truly invisible, and thus they showed up on film but weren't seen by the people taking the photos.

If we go with the idea that "they" can make themselves '"invisible" to the people around them but that this "invisibility" doesn't protect them from showing up in film, it's pretty interesting that there aren't hundreds and hundreds of photos just like the cumbrian astronaut floating around out there. Either "they" are mostly staying far away from just about everyone or "they" aren't around very often; either way it's a bit unusual.

If we assume basically the same kind of "invisibility" but assume it's some government project than the lack of other sitings also makes sense, because in general the military's pretty good at keeping a tight lid on secret projects and because there'd likely be far fewer people in "invisibility spacesuits" walking around out there.

Either way, it seems like using cameras (preferably high-quality, and possibly older models) is still a pretty good way to get evidence; if anyone lives around military facilities and has film to burn it might we worth taking lots of pictures and seeing what turns up.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Even if this picture isn't a hoax, the fact is, we CANNOT use this as evidence for an alien presence on earth. No matter how solid the "technical" details of the incident are, anyone who brings that to the table as proof of alien visitation will get laughed at.

Face it, even if that thing is an alien, it's the stupidest, fakest, goofiest looking alien in the history of aliens. Those of us who want to convince others of the UFO reality need to use better evidence that the Cumbrian spaceman. Like everything it comes down to marketing...

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sisonek

a) why the spacesuit guy wasn't seen at the time the picture was taken?

If we go with the idea that "they" can make themselves '"invisible" to the people around them but that this "invisibility" doesn't protect them from showing up in film, it's pretty interesting that there aren't hundreds and hundreds of photos just like the cumbrian astronaut floating around out there. Either "they" are mostly staying far away from just about everyone or "they" aren't around very often; either way it's a bit unusual.

I'm no expert on paranornal things but I have an interest in it and I seem to recall seeing the stories of where people have taken pictures of people and then got the pictures developed and found that there is someone else in the picture. I think I remember that this has happens in large family pictures so and nobody knew who they were nor were they seen when the picture was taken.

Also I remember cases where the photographer of a large family photo had set the flash on their camera to go off and put the self timer on, then got in the picture but no flash went off when the picture was taken. Someone or something had turned the flash off.

They then put the flash on and took their picture again. The flash worked and the picture was taken. When they got their pictures back, there was someone in the non flash (I think it was the one with no flash) that no-one knew but that mystery person was not in the other picture

These 'extra' people are believed to be ghosts. Could this have a connection?

EDIT : Spelling

[edit on 2/8/04 by Hyperen]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I have picked magic mushrooms at the spot where this photo was taken...

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quest
So the "invisibility" is not related to light or physics of light, but rather the ability to manipulate the human mind and make it unable to recognise and acknowledge images.

Exactly! The laws of physics demand it.

Simply put, if you can see them, they can see you.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Why do you all think, that this alien is facing backward to the camera?! If he/she is inhuman, than the arms can be bent in any direction, not necassarily backwards, like we do. In fact, the photo is not being taken above a metre, so that guy looks definately taller because of the angle of the shot.

These aliens (and UFOs) are kept invisible only through the manipulation of the mind, it does not mean that phisically it will not appear on the photo.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Although the "Spaceman" appears to be looking towards the camera, it's body position may suggest that it is facing away from the camera and what is perceived as being the face behind a visor is actually the back of someone's head.

As Ed McMahon would say...."You are correct sir!"

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Just a thought as this has been really bugging me, but maybe its someone behind the girl laying flat to the floor holding a doll up behind her head [although the absence of shadow would disprove this, tricks of the light do happen]. That would account for the way the body appears twisted, because of the movable limbs.

Alternatively it could be a case of thought projection, maybe she was thinking about a doll.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Perhaps it isn't actually an ALIEN, but some sort of government experiment.....? I dunno.

Doesn't seem to look like anything you'd call an alien.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   
You can see a shadow behind the girl, but the sun is shining from a different angle, I assume there should be no shadow. Perhaps, the spaceman is standing at an angle, so only that is left of his shadow?

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I don't know why, but the spaceman reminds me of a fireman.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen
Have anyone ever heard of 'The Cumbrian Spaceman'

I saw some of the story of it on TV a while ago.

I recently saw something about it again and I've looked on the internet but there doesn't appear to be that much about it.

On Sunday, May 24, 1964, English fireman Jim Templeton, of the Cumbrian Fire Service, in Carlisle, Cumberland, took his wife and five-year-old daughter Elizabeth on a picnic. He selected a nearby popular nature resort called the Burgh Marsh.

That day Jim noticed a feel of "electricity" in the air similar to that felt before a thunderstorm. Normally, sheep and cows would be grazing throughout the large meadow but he noticed they were all clustered together at the far end of the field as though fearful of something.

Aside from the three of them, the only other people in sight that day were two elderly women in a car about 400 yards away from their picnic spot. When Elizabeth had gathered some flowers, Jim took the above photo of his smiling daughter.

Several days later, when Jim picked his film up from the local drugstore, the owner said "It's a shame. Someone just ran into your best picture." "That's impossible," said Jim. "No one was there that afternoon." However, upon inspection, one photo of his daughter clearly revealed a tall figure standing a short distance behind the five-year-old wearing what appears to be a white space suit and helmet.

Jim showed the picture to friends, co-workers, the police and finally Kodak. No one could explain it but Kodak asked permission to use it in an advertisement offering anyone who solved the mystery a lifelong supply of free film. No one had the solution. Tampering was ruled out as well after the negative was examined and proved not to be a double-exposure or some other image manipulation.

www.geocities.com...

Anyone know more about it?

I've seen that picture quite a few times. Actually made me jump the first time I saw it.

I doubt its real... freaky though

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Whilst the picture is interesting, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that it depicts an alien.....

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
That's no alien, it's a man baby!!!

Look, it's a man, from the back, wearing a white hoodie and a white cap. Where's the mystery here? I thought his had been debunked a LONG time ago....

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
At that time, there was no such fashion. Today nobody would find it weird, but in the sixties only spacemen were wearing such suit. In fact, there are many reports of aliens wearing scaffander.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's looks like a bee keeper and the person taking the photo probably knew he was there...I expect they made a bit of money from this photograph.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The problem as I see it, all relies on the man that took the photograph. Because this man said the �spaceman� wasn�t in the image when he took the photograph nobody can explain how it could be there, unless of course he was lying. The image and the negatives were studied and nobody can find evidence of any tampering or manipulation. So either an invisible spaceman only allowed his image to be captured by this mans camera or he is lying. I will vote for the latter.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
One of my forum posters said it looked like one of those Pentium 2 guys from the intel adverts, hehe

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
If the photographer knew that guy was there, and is lying.... That doesn't explain why anyone dressed like that would be wandering around a park. A beekeeper dresses similar, but still different enough to where this could not possibly be some random beekeeper.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join