It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving OZ. Leave your weapons cowboys, a realistic look at survival down under

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
this thread & the responses were a great read, thanks for the laugh's

-Bob
edit on 10/5/11 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
It doesnt seem to deter people from coming here ,not sure if you mentioned it but watch out for this mofo
The Cassowary
Australians trying to rebuild in the wake of Cyclone Yasi have been warned to stay away from cassowaries – huge flightless birds with claws that can Disembowel a human – on the hunt for food after their habitat was destroyed by the storm.
www.telegraph.co.uk... nt-birds.html
Stay Away,far far away.

edit on 10-5-2011 by 12voltz because: of the constant rain

I was working up north Qld last year and had a great Cassowary Parmijana at pub.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Cool thread. Some good info presented in a most readable manner. Nice job.

Just wanted to point out that, although obviously no-one's going to be shooting tiny jellyfish, when stranded in any wilderness, getting sustantial food's a lot easier when you have a firearm, and said firearem is also helpful when confronted by most larger critters who might otherwise be very dangerous. It is, however, still better to avoid such dangerous critters when possible.

I'd love to get down there one day to check it out. From what I've seen, it's a beautiful place, and everyone I've ever met from Oz have been top shelf folks.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Excellent thread... Brings back memories of holiday there many years ago.. Even with all the deadly animals one of the most beautiful places Ive ever been.. Would love to visit again to explore further .. S&F

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

I'm still gonna bare fist box the kangaroo.

Sorry let me enlighten you properly.
Contrary to a fantasy story telling you the kangaroo will kick you into space (yes they will kick but that is not the real danger)., kangaroos fight by standing tall on their back tale, then use their front legs to hold their opponent so that they can rake with their hind legs. The claws are seriously dangerous enough that disembowlment is feasible.

Tourist attacked by kangroo ends up with face & groin lacerations (30 stitches in groin)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
So your application for the Australian Department of Tourism is approved????

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I couldnt help but read your thread with Steve Irwins voice reading it back to me

Throw another shrimp on the barbie, and tie me kangaroo down sport!
edit on 10-5-2011 by grindhouzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
LOL it's not that dangerous here, i live in nth qld and have only been bitten by 3 spiders and a dog, 2 of the spider bites were my fault for grabbing them lol. The most dangerous thing would be our beaches and people heading out bush without proper preperation and a reliable serviced vehicle. Oh and drunk abos lol!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by exo87

a few months ago a brown snake was in the house next to my daughter

there was a croc in the creek in the main street of cairns about 6 weeks ago

guess you just take it the way it is , never really thougt about it,

mamamaaate

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The most dangerous thing up here in FNQ are the tourists in their rental cars.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Excellent OP . Laughed out loud when you referenced Bear Grills . He can survive anywhere by pizzing on himself , drinking his pizz , giving himself enemas , diving off cliffs into water of unknown depth and the best one was where he roped a wild horse in California only to get busted because the horse wasn't wild a Bear was staying at a Holiday Inn . A close runner up was when he was crossing a lava field in Hawaii 20 miles from any road and got busted again because the road was 200 yards away and he was staying in a Holiday Inn there also . He loves to pull his dick out on tv and pizz on himself or drink it . Saw him do it twice in two different episodes from Australia . I'd love to visit your great land but would at least like to have my Smith & Wesson .22 revolver for survival . I've seen tv programs showing your beaches and even though i'm not getting in any water with sharks you have a lot of great looking women in little teeny bikinis . Saw a National Geographic program on all the critters that can kill you in Australia and i might want to carry two guns . One for big critters and one for smaller critter . They showed a snake which i believe they called a Brown and that thing is as fast as lightening . Maybe i'd like 3 guns , one in a quick draw holster . Australia is a bit different than here . If the SHTF we have whole populations that will loot and kill you for lunch money . Two legged predators . Fair dinkum mate and Waltzing Matilda .

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog

Great thread, as a fellow Aussie that has had the chance to teach basic survival skills to Cub Scouts i agree with you.
Ive had kangaroos come though the windscreen of our car, and get up and hop away like nothing nhad happened.. meanwhile the front of the car was written off..

edit on 9-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

Through? Or just on? I'm guessing on seeing as they bounced away like nothing happened.

Not sure of the urban myth status of it (not in reference to you) but I had always heard that that is a sure death sentence for the driver if a kangaroo survives going through a windscreen: the violent thrashing and kicking around of a wild-eyed roo trying to escape the confines of the front cab of a car is sure to put a few scratches on the driver at the very least.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I think I still like Texas more (no offense).

We have our own "bits of Oz" here. Gators, cottonmouths, copperheads, corals. We have a few predators but USUALLY they wont bother us. Bobcats, Cougar, Panthers, MAYBE way towards the panhandle area some bear.

Beachs arent too dangerous. We have some jellys but not deadly (just make you wish you were). Some sharks but rarely causing issues.

Yall have us totally beat though on bugs. Yalls spiders are the stuff of nightmares. Funnels? And the one's that hang about in the bottom of the pool? YIKES!!!!

Your right though. In some circumstances, a rifle or pistol is fairly useless. I'll still have mine with me just in case though

BTW, have yall had another "bunny explosion" lately? Yall get "plagues" like anything there it seems!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This is one of the very best threads on ATS right now. Excellant work to the Op!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

stay home in seppo land mate, only a**holes hurt animals for fun

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Hey Zazz,

I think I enjoyed your thread more than any other I have ever read; in fact, I am going to archive it, just in case I become an Ausie myself...and it might happen.

Survival skills are a serious thing and frankly, I hate crocs, snakes and spiders. Still, that was a great post! Loved it!!!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Oh by the way, only a few Americans will have a clue what a Bogan is...just sayin'...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burgo

stay home in seppo land mate, only a**holes hurt animals for fun
Indeed. If you want the survive in Australia (not that it's overly hard), you simply need to learn to be one with nature. Respect nature.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Awesome thread zazz! It was definitely one of the most enjoyable/informative threads I've read on ATS. I just kept having this mental image of me washing up one day on the shores of OZ on a wooden raft in some post apocalyptic scenario and being like, damn, I'm glad I read zazz's post

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

See it's your articles like this that is pushing me more twords moving to New Zealand instead of Australia..lol Those crazy kiwi's don't have quite as much deadly animals as you Aussies do.
I will still keep an open mind though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join