It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playstation Network... Oh how I miss you.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If you have been following the updates for the return of PSN, you probably have heard some differing info.

Bloomberg Says in its report that:

The company is in the process of adopting an improved security system and its plan to restart the services fully by May 31 is unchanged, he said. Sony shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services April 20 because of possible data theft by hackers.

May 31? Holy cow!

However that was quickly squashed by Sony officials according to Giant Bomb saying that:

Sony has informed us that Bloomberg's wording, which was the foundation of this story, is inaccurate and the May 31 "deadline" does not exist. There does not appear to be any hard deadline established, only to return services as Sony determines the appropriate security measures are in place.

But adding that:

As of this morning, Sony does not have a firm timetable for getting PSN all the way back online, and is currently only stating that everything should be restored by the end of this month. This info comes from company spokesman Shigenori Yoshida, who told Bloomberg this morning that the company is currently uncertain exactly when everything will return to a live state, and that Sony has set a deadline of May 31 for all services to be restored.

So what do you guys think? I think we all realize that the security updates are important, but Sony failed to meet the end of the week restoration deadline it gave for the week of May 1-8.
Are we going to see the network back online sometime in the near future, or will we be waiting for a while?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
buy stock in xbox live

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The cost for XBox Live will now go up to $90 for 12 months due to all the people jumping ship. This just makes me laugh.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Xbox Live, Oh how I love you!

So happy I stuck with xbox.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I'm angry that I payed for Playstation plus and get to lose a month,while people that don't have it get a month free.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by morbidlife666
I'm angry that I payed for Playstation plus and get to lose a month,while people that don't have it get a month free.

Well hopefully they give us credit for the time we lost plus an extra 30 days. That wouldn't be so bad, but we'll have to wait to see.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It sucks but at least I can still use Netflix. If this causes Playstation to start charging to play online then I hope these hackers get a scorching case of V.D.

I have both Xbox and Playstation and I'm sorry to say Playstation still rules (although I do give Kinect props). At least Sony isn't as money hungry as ole Bill Gates is.
As long as I don't have to pay for a membership I will deal with these kind of hiccups.
edit on 9-5-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
As a Microsoft employee and big x-box fan this does give me a smile.

Maybe it will shut up some of the Playstation nut huggers

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by morbidlife666

Think they stated on the PS Blog that people who have subscriptions will be compensated for it as well as getting a free month like everyone else. Not sure how far back it was but I do believe it was last week. Either way the servers seem to be slightly up in that I have mine set to automatic sign in and everytime I turned my PS3 on it would say "Error you have been signed out" Which has been a change from the not signing in at all. So here's hoping soon.

Originally posted by Bridge_Boy
As a Microsoft employee and big x-box fan this does give me a smile.

Maybe it will shut up some of the Playstation nut huggers

This goes both ways though no? I mean I agree some are out of hand but at the same time the 360 users take advantage of this just as well.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

PS3 users are just the worst types to talk about gaming with, everything comes down to free online sevices and a sleeker looking console.
I was only trying to explain that portal 2 looks good (no matter what console) and I get a barrage of crap concerning how small and light the PS3 controllers are and how graphics make the entire game.

But seriously when I use PS3 controllers and I want to look left while turning right my thumbs are all over each other, it's much better to have the sticks out of line with each other.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

I'll admit that I have heard -- well read some "debates" in which most just utilize either A. Free online or B. Graphics but for me it just that read because it's primarily online where it can be a lot of kids or what not trying to incite some kind of rage emotion in the person. Yet I don't know about the sleeker design anymore the new 360 does not look all that bad at all so that should change things up a bit. Now I'm not sure if you meant online, offline or both but I always found talking in person was a lot better for these sorts of things at least for me and perhaps I got lucky in that aspect.

Though I must say in regards to Portal 2 I haven't really heard anything about someone saying anything like that but I must say if they think graphics make the game they will be missing out on a lot of interesting games like Brink for instance. Not the best in the graphics department but really digging that SMART system and drop in and out type of lobbies.

360 controller is a bit more comfortable of what little of it I utilized for Halo Reach but I don't know that Dpad (like others) is what kind of kills it for me. Personally find both of them to have high and low points in certain aspects. Also you could look into those convertors for the controllers so you could hook your 360 controller up to the PS3 and vice versa.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
LOL

Eat that all you playstation geeks that called me an idiot for getting an xbox 360

edit on 9/5/2011 by OzWeatherman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I just read the news too. This sucks.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

No, I get that barrage of crap everytime gaming comes up in conversation with my real life face-to-face mates.

I can't talk to PS3 users over X-box live.

It's just annoying and makes me happy i'm not on sony's bandwagon if that attitude is what comes with it.

The part about Portal2, I try to talk about a game, and the responces are all about how PS3 is better than the 360, nothing said about the game at all from their side of the convo.

I know they say pick your friends carefully, but soon it'll be ""Pick your friends console depending".

I'm happy with my 360 and when ever they start telling me how much better their PS3's are it just makes me wonder who they're trying to convince, me or themselves, to justify all that money spent on a glorified X-box lolol.
Only kidding, I know PS3 is good but I know what I like too.

Here's a story of Ps3 user who played Black-ops zombies on my X-box.
He picks up the controller straight into settings (he owns it on PS3 so he knows his way about the menu's) and puts aim sensitivity to the highest setting, I watched him do it them he starts claiming to the 4 other (PS3 user) friends I was with that it's unplayable and it's just not right, of course it's unplayable when it's that sensitive.
I give you "The Sony Mentality".

He was just irked that it looked as good if not better than his PS3 version. He's not a close friend but my closer friends are the same, though they won't resort to such underhand tactics.

I wish you luck in getting the server's back up. But if it's not for another month or 2 some users could use that kick in the face.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Chukkles because: Monkey's eat Banana's

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by morbidlife666

i feel your pain, but lets not forget others who lose out to.

news.cnet.com...

the PSN network being down could effect more people than we realise in different ways. i wonder how much has been lost in potential aid. i am pretty sure they were still taking donations when it went down.

i am just pointing out there are worse off who lose out because of it to.

i paid for plus to, and an online game that i paid for and cannot play, by the time it is back up what i paid for would of expired. but it bothers me more potential aid to help those effected in japan has been cut off, thanks to whoever did it.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

(Gosh the internet sucks out here had written something and got booted offline multiple times so this could be like take 8 on trying to post again)

So long as you are happy with your own that's what it's all about if some can't really come to terms with your own purchases that's their own problem as I see it. I mean I'm not really ashamed to say that I like Sony and some of their products but I wouldn't jump off a bridge or anything like follow them loyally to the ends of the Earth just for a few electronics.

From the sounds of it (Just sounds as I'm not sure) but have they even played Portal2 if they are going to talk about the system itself rather than the game? Whenever I see arguments like that pop on in game forums or what not it makes me wonder whether or not said person has the game or even played it. Since at times it seems like they may just utilize reviews as what they will say on it rather than personal experience.

Black Ops is way better on 360 that I know lol and I had it for PS3 at a point and would think about getting it again if I set aside funds for live or something. So long are the days of being able to just play a game on a system without being "flamed" or "ridiculed" on it.

Yeah certainly hear you there. As for me I am patient and can do without some online for a few days or weeks unlike some others. A whole world to explore, books to read, pictures to draw lots of things to be discovered

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
So glad I stuck with my 360. So is my son now he's glued to Live with his schoolmates.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I miss my PSN but I'm not dying because I can't go online, I guess it's cause I'm from the generation where there was no online for gaming so it doesn't bother me as much.... I hope all the ADHD kids jump ship and go to live, a good way to weed out the community I say... Can't wait for those hackers to get nice long prison sentences, hope they all rot!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
I miss my PSN but I'm not dying because I can't go online, I guess it's cause I'm from the generation where there was no online for gaming so it doesn't bother me as much.... I hope all the ADHD kids jump ship and go to live, a good way to weed out the community I say... Can't wait for those hackers to get nice long prison sentences, hope they all rot!

Yeah, maybe this is just a way to weed out all the Halo kids.

I just miss my Red Dead...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveWx3

What is it 3 weeks and counting since it's been down, and from what I hear it still will be down a while and really who knows what Sony is doing, but they definitely got to do something about there hacking problems. I still remember before the PS3 came out how everybody was talking and saying that it will be one of the most protected and unhackable systems out there and nobody will be able to crack it and all that jive. Well everything can be hacked eventually no game system or PC is above being hacked if anybody is truly serious about it and puts the time and effort into it.

But on the flip side, some good news. Because of this, many cough potatoes/online PSN nerds have gotten up and seen the sun for the first time in years. But since there is some bad news with every good, It turns out that because of the heavy chemtrailing and Geo engineering going on there time in the sun did not last long.

Ok on a more serious note, I stopped playing as heavily some while ago any online games, but yes I miss it. Things are a lot more boring without online capabilities, but I will live, plus cant complain over something that is free. Really the only game I even put any amount of time in online was Marvel VS Capcom 3 and sstf4, I completely stooped playing FPS's like call of duty black ops a while ago. My guess is the psn will be back online either by the end of this month or middle of next month.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join