It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the Super-Wealthy Right-Wingers Working With the Religious Right to Kill Public Education

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Keep religious dogma or doctrine OUT of schools altogether.

Teach children about religions from an external point of view definitely - forewarned is forearmed. But don't indoctrinate them either way.

The Rev.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Awesome that people are still free to organize and change things that are totally f-ed up, like the public education system.

Anywhere I can send a donation to help these people in their effort to destroy the public education system of propaganda and indoctrination?

That's still legal right? Giving financial support to people who are trying to make the world a better place?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Revenant

Teach children about religions from an external point of view definitely - forewarned is forearmed. But don't indoctrinate them either way.

The Rev.

Does that include private institutions? Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
Bull$# scaremongering articles from left wing drones aside …. Why the hell shouldn’t I be allowed to take a tax credit and sent my child to a private religious school if I choose to? They do a much better job at a fraction of the cost. Its my tax money after all.

Then I should get a tax credit as well because I don't have any children.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner

Bull$# scaremongering articles from left wing drones aside …. Why the hell shouldn’t I be allowed to take a tax credit and sent my child to a private religious school if I choose to? They do a much better job at a fraction of the cost. Its my tax money after all.

Yeah but you most certainly benefit from an educated population so a big fat NO on that red herring.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Republicans and the far right are showing their true opinions on public education.

They realize full well that you don't need an education to be a politician.

Much like most things in this world, you get out of it just what you are willing to put into it.

If they can continue to cut away at those things which made this country great, they will eventually have a third world country close enough to cut down on all the transportation cost of importing stuff from China.

They realize if they can get the wages and living standards low enough here, they will easily be able to justify doing away with anything which does not bring their supporters a profit.

Everyone knows the government has never shown a profit.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

Now I'll give you a star for that one, good post.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

A lawsuit was just settled in my county. They were allowing the Gideons to pass out Bibles in an elementary school here. It was voluntary to take one, but since when would a kid want to be singled out by not taking one? It shouldn't have been allowed in the first place. I can guarantee you if it were a Qua'ran, the same people complaining about the ACLU taking the case would be screaming at the top of their lungs about an Islamic agenda.

If the following quote from the article is factual:

“So let us be blunt about it: we must use the doctrine of religious liberty to gain independence for Christian schools until we train up a generation of people who know that there is no religious neutrality, no neutral law, no neutral education, and no neutral civil government. Then they will get busy in constructing a Bible-based social, political, and religious order which finally denies the religious liberty of the enemies of God.”

Replace the word "Christian" with "Muslim" and "Bible" with "Qua'ran". It's the same fundamentalist BS. It's all about their version of control, not about God at all.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

If anything, we should have classes on ethics, not religious morals. I have found in my nearly four decades on this marble that those two are completely different. I've got no problem with ethics classes.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This is the way I look at it. I have 2 kids and want whats best for them. I don't ask for help in raising them and had to work 2 jobs to support them. I'm all about taking MY tax money and invest in my kids' education. The public schools are in decline no matter how much money you throw at it. This isn't a race issue or a social class issue. It all comes down to are really willing to work hard and scarifice for your children.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner

Yeah but you most certainly benefit from an educated population so a big fat NO on that red herring.

Thank you for making my point more clear.... my sarcastic tone doesn't always come across in the text....

The same applies to those whose children attend private school as I did... my mom paid her taxes and so should you...

edit on 10-5-2011 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wardk28

I hit you with a star because ETHICS should be taught in schools.

As should the choice to take finance classes as opposed to Algebra. I have rarely used advanced math in my life, but if our children understood how our financial institutions trie to keep them down and keep them in debt, well, we would have people who are more educated.

Good call!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by DJM8507

And then how will they indoctrine our children without public schools?

Here in Texas the religious right is hard at work turning public schools into fundamentalist Christian conservative indoctrination centers. Where students where hear about the problems of evolution and where Thomas Jefferson only had a tiny part in the creation of the United States. Where they will never hear the term "separation of church and state".

So, don't fret, indoctrination is alive and well in this country

Well my children won't be going as it's against my religion to send them to a christian school.

And let them try to make me send them...lol I am no gypsy pagan with the peaceful submission attitude. HA! I am more like a savage pagan who will use violence against violence and gladly!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

The Rev.

Does that include private institutions? Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion.

Yes it does. That's a PROPER fascist thing to say. Everyone should have a choice to be free FROM religion.

The Rev.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

The Rev.

As long as that applies to atheist's, the religion responsible for more deaths then any other religion on the planet!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

The Rev.

As long as that applies to atheist's, the religion responsible for more deaths then any other religion on the planet!

EPIC FAIL!

That's an incredibly moronic thing to say. Get a grip.

The Rev.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Who could possibly object to school vouchers? The opportunity for parents to get their kids out of inner city schools?

The teachers unions, that's who.

"But we just need more money, and the kids will learn!"

"What about the billions, if not trillions we've been throwing at your schools since God knows when?"

"Yeah but we need MORE!"

I don't buy it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join