It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the Super-Wealthy Right-Wingers Working With the Religious Right to Kill Public Education

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
It is a relatively long, well researched, in-depth article that I feel accurately reveals the true agenda against public education. If you would like to read the full article it is located here:

Link to Full Article

I have taken a few snippets but I do encourage you to read through it for yourselves.

The decades-long campaign to end public education is propelled by the super-wealthy, right-wing DeVos family. Betsy Prince DeVos is the sister of Erik Prince, founder of the notorious private military contractor Blackwater USA (now Xe), and wife of Dick DeVos, son of the co-founder of Amway, the multi-tiered home products business.

By now, you've surely heard of the Koch brothers, whose behind-the-scenes financing of right-wing causes has been widely documented in the past year. The DeVoses have remained largely under the radar, despite the fact that their stealth assault on America's schools has the potential to do away with public education as we know it.

Gary North explains why getting students out of public schools is key to the Christian dominionist camp. “So let us be blunt about it: we must use the doctrine of religious liberty to gain independence for Christian schools until we train up a generation of people who know that there is no religious neutrality, no neutral law, no neutral education, and no neutral civil government. Then they will get busy in constructing a Bible-based social, political, and religious order which finally denies the religious liberty of the enemies of God.”

And the Christian Right has been busy enacting this vision. One of the first goals of the Christian Coalition was to take control of 500 local public school boards, and it's a strategy the Religious Right has continued. One prominent example is Cynthia Dunbar, one of the members of the Texas State Board of Education which made controversial changes to the state’s social studies curriculum in 2010. Dunbar, who was advised by right-wing self-styled "historian" David Barton, is author of One Nation Under God and has described sending children to public schools as “throwing them into the enemy’s flames, even as the children of Israel threw their children to Moloch.”

But Americans don't want their schools dismantled. So privatization advocates have recognized that it's not politically viable to openly push for full privatization and have resigned themselves to incrementally dismantling public school systems. The think tanks’ weapon of choice is school vouchers.

edit on 9-5-2011 by DJM8507 because: (no reason given)

***Do NOT edit MOD edits!***
edit on May 9th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

hi i believe the answer to all our question and solutions is doing the same damn thing we have done 50 times! Lets only vote for people who are ultra liberal or ultra conservative when the population is somewhere in between both parties yeahh. I should pick a side and place blame when its actually obvious that they both create problems but hey i have all the answers and you should be against republicans. Being liberal is smart and being republican is dumb also we should believe the liberal conspiracies and denounce the republican ones even though our president mocks conspiracy or anyone who believes in it altogether

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Bull$# scaremongering articles from left wing drones aside …. Why the hell shouldn’t I be allowed to take a tax credit and sent my child to a private religious school if I choose to? They do a much better job at a fraction of the cost. Its my tax money after all.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
Bull$# scaremongering articles from left wing drones aside …. Why the hell shouldn’t I be allowed to take a tax credit and sent my child to a private religious school if I choose to? They do a much better job at a fraction of the cost. Its my tax money after all.

Exactly! I don't know anyone who grew up in an inner city, who actually CARES about education, who doesn't fully SUPPORT private school vouchers. Inner city schools are awful. CHOICE is a good thing.

Why would anyone be against the kids in inner cities having a choice and a chance to break out of the cycle and get a decent education? Now who sounds like they are racist and against education?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Public education most places is pretty bad, not saying all places, but more than majority are bad and that is because a liberal agenda runs the public school system. Cant say the pledge, cant discipline the children without fear of being sued...etc.

So, people who see most public schools as a failure are somehow the villians in the matter?

Now I will agree with you that their agenda seems to be sinister, but if you dont think public education in this country is failing us, than you need to research it further. Just because a person was privately educated at some type of Christian school, DOES NOT mean they are demons of some type.

My parnets busted their arse to put me through a private school. They are at no level welathy with a combined income of 70k a year. I rode public transportation to and from school.

Why not charter schools that are privately run (like a business) that are publically funded. There have been great strides here in New Orleans through the use of Charter Schools.

Just tossing ideas out there.
edit on 9-5-2011 by armtx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

And then how will they indoctrine our children without public schools?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

If you do your home work, the same can be said of many Philanthropist left wingers who are trying to keep the satus quo of public education.

People need to see that the agenda going on in our government, and other governments around the world are NOT partisan.

I refer you to the Elementary & Secondary Education Act (link below) which if you do your home work, you will realize this ACT was hatched through the United Nations. Public education was not always a fact here in the United States. Having done enough of my own research into the United Nations, this argument doesn't surprise me. It is more about Parents having the ability to Parent their children and make responisble choices for their children, and not allowing the UN or American Government to make those decisions instead.

Elementary & Secondary Education Act
www.nctic1p.org...

FACT SHEET: A summary of the rights under the Convention on the Rights of the Child
www.unicef.org...

After reading these rights for children, you have to ask yourself, if the government says it's my childs right to belong to an organization involved in....think of something you would never want your child involved in, for what YOU think is their own good..............I have no right to stop my child.

P.S. Hope I did the links right....
edit on 9-5-2011 by pagan_night because: missed a sentence trying to figure out the links...

edit on 9-5-2011 by pagan_night because: trying to get the links right....

edit on 9-5-2011 by pagan_night because: Ok, one last try. If anyone can help???

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by DJM8507

And then how will they indoctrine our children without public schools?

Here in Texas the religious right is hard at work turning public schools into fundamentalist Christian conservative indoctrination centers. Where students where hear about the problems of evolution and where Thomas Jefferson only had a tiny part in the creation of the United States. Where they will never hear the term "separation of church and state".

So, don't fret, indoctrination is alive and well in this country

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Disgusting religious fascists.

I think it's about time someone took the fight to them, and I'm not talking about just verbally...

The Revenant.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Revenant
Disgusting religious fascists.

I think it's about time someone took the fight to them, and I'm not talking about just verbally...

The Revenant.

Tough talk big man ...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Whatever, let them have their private schools. What needs to be done is to ensure that no private school will be allowed to teach dangerous fundamentalist ideas or misinformation, and they will have to stick to official state curriculum like their bible (pun intended). This will achieve best of both worlds, IMHO.

Private education does not mean they can teach whatever they want, does it?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
Whatever, let them have their private schools. What needs to be done is to ensure that no private school will be allowed to teach dangerous fundamentalist ideas or misinformation, and they will have to stick to official state curriculum like their bible (pun intended). This will achieve best of both worlds, IMHO.

Private education does not mean they can teach whatever they want, does it?

I dont know about other types of schools, but In the United States, Catholic schools also accredited by their respective state agencies and all teachers are certified. The controlling archdiocese mandates it.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I thought the government, political correctness, and the replacement of education with feel good programs already destroyed the public education system.

In all seriousness, I support the right on this. Instead, the left wants to keep the lower classes in the inner city ghetto schools and make them susceptible to government indoctrination.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
This all depends on where you live, people. Here, the local public schools are excellent while the private schools are turning out barely literate shills. They DO know their Bible, though. They'll quote you chapter and verse, just don't ask them to do multiplication.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
These people are violently right wing militaristic nazi's, and as such are totally evil. They're a big threat to the whole democratic system in America, and are proof of the organised fascism that is sweeping that country. People really need to mobilise against these evil fascists in the US before they do permanent harm to American freedom and democracy. Anyone who doesn't understand this must be very ignorant.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

No, you have your facts backwards.

I'm Pagan and I believe in my right to educate my child in a way I agree with. Public school is biased and that bias is coming out more and more.

Sure, teach children about homosexuality, but teach them about heterosexuality too. Teach them about black, mexican and japanese history, but teach them about white history too. Teach them about sex, but teach them about abstinence too. Teach them about Black slavery, but teach them about White slavery too. Teach them that all cultures and religions have faced bias and hate at one time or another.

And stop erasing and changing History...ALL of it.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinau

The first indoctrination of American School children I remember is calling
America a Democracy, as it is a Republic.

And yes, the push for a Democracy is ruining America.

Here is a video to show that.....

www.youtube.com...

I tried to figure out how to embed this video. Sorry, If anyone can help, that would be great.

edit on 9-5-2011 by pagan_night because: sorry, still trying..

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pagan_night

Wow, I'm glad I don't live where you folks do. This is how our kids are being taught (I still have four in school). They still say the Pledge in school until high school. The teachers are very into both-sides-of-the-story, and my children are coming home asking very intelligent and well informed questions. I am quite satisfied with the education they are receiving, and judging from the way colleges and universities are recruiting them, so are other educators. If this is happening where you are, might I suggest a change in location?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

I love Montana!!! I used to live in Great Falls, and I agree. The education in Montana is tops.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

The left brought this upon themselves when they began using the educational system to further their anti-male objectives. The war on boy's is very real and even in the UK they are acknowledging that the overwhelmingly female educational system is inherently discriminatory towards male students.

Why should my tax dollars go to support a system that is intent on only educating the politically correct half of the human species?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join