It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar Sues High Fructose Corn Syrup

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

A tendency launched by the Aspartame change of name, maybe?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
"Sugar" in the popular mind refers to a crystalline sweetener. "Corn sugar" thus would be dry sugar crystals derived from corn, not a syrup.

The name should stay the same. What about Corn Syrup? It is a different product than High Fructose Corn Syrup. If HFCS can be called "Corn Sugar" why not Corn Syrup be called the same?

Whether or not the claims about HFCS being so bad are true, the move to change the name to "Corn Sugar" is a ridiculous PR move only to distract from the attention surrounding the ingredient.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
If you want to see a real conspiracy in action, take a look at how HFCS beat sugar out of the market. It started as a biproduct of another process and nobody wanted it.

The book The Informant (basis of movie with Matt Damon) talks about it briefly.

A greedy executive convinced a congressional shill to "help" the sugar farmers with price floors... and lo and behold, no one can afford it anymore! Everyone switches to HFCS! Yay!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I won't touch it either. You know HFCS has been banned in many countries, including most of Europe. Even third world countries don't want it...but it is still sold to Americans. At least Big Pharma benefits.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
i would eat anything natural over lab produced crap any day. the FDA should be held accountable for allowing this crap to be consumed. The FDA are the real criminals here, at least here in the good old USA.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Oh, I hope the Sugar people nail the HFCS people to the wall!

HFCS is so horrific for One's system, and the fact that the FDA even allows it to be put in Our food supply is infuriating - but to be contemplating allowing a deception? "Change the name! THAT will make it ALL better!"

The FDA is a total farce.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
reply to post by dreamingawake

A tendency launched by the Aspartame change of name, maybe?

Aspartame did not change the name... They came out with a concentrated rat poison (Aspartame was originally a rat poison), Neotame, that They don't have to put on labels (too little is needed to poison Us - such that labeling is "unnecessary"), AND is "approved" for foods labeled "organic!!!" and "kosher."

Fry the FDA!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation

I know that when I buy products I always check the label to see if it includes HFCS and if it does it goes back on the shelf.

Solid move. That stuff is killing us:

The single largest source of calories for Americans comes from sugar—specifically high fructose corn syrup. Just take a look at the sugar consumption trends of the past 300 years:[1]

* In 1700, the average person consumed about 4 pounds of sugar per year.
* In 1800, the average person consumed about 18 pounds of sugar per year.
* In 1900, individual consumption had risen to 90 pounds of sugar per year.
* In 2009, more than 50 percent of all Americans consume one-half pound of sugar PER DAY—translating to a whopping 180 pounds of sugar per year!

Sugar is loaded into your soft drinks, fruit juices, sports drinks, and hidden in almost all processed foods—from bologna to pretzels to Worcestershire sauce to cheese spread. And now most infant formula has the sugar equivalent of one can of Coca-Cola, so babies are being metabolically poisoned from day one if taking formula.

No wonder there is an obesity epidemic in this country.

articles.mercola.com...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
High Fructose corn syrup...Loaded with mercury.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
it's terrible that people eat FRUCTOSE is not healthy, is rubbish plain simple.

goo sugaaar gooo

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Yeah. I like my ENDOCRINE SYSTEM

S+F

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Mountainmeg

Never considered GMO sugar beets, I'll need to look that up.
Either way I buy C&H so i guess I avoid gmo, unless there is gmo sugar cane.

(Edit)
Hmmm seems the USDA in february 2011 partially deregulated gmo sugar beets, thank you for that tid bit.
If i can i avoid gmo altogether.
edit on 8-5-2011 by g146541 because: The sweet spot

According to this Link, which is a guide to help you avoid GMO foods at the market, sugar beets are GM

SWEETENERS
Many sweeteners, and products like candy and chocolate that contain them, can come from GMO sources. Look for organic and non-GMO sweeteners, candy and chocolate products made with 100% cane sugar, evaporated cane juice or organic sugar to avoid GM beet sugar, and watch out for soy lecithin in chocolates and corn syrup in candies.

It's interesting that Michigan sugar is in on this suit, because if I am not mistaken, the sugar they produce is from sugar beets...

May Contain GMO Ingredients:
Crystal Sugar (American Crystal)
Big Chief sugar (Michigan Sugar Company)
Equal GW sugar (Western Sugar)
Nutrasweet Pioneer sugar (Michigan Sugar Company)
White Satin sugar (Snake River/Amalgamated Sugar)

Also, Aspartame is GM also:

The sweetener aspartame is derived from GM microorganisms. It is also referred to as NutraSweet® and Equal® and is found in over 6,000 products, including soft drinks, gum, candy, desserts, yogurt, tabletop sweeteners, and some pharmaceuticals such as vitamins and sugar-free cough drops.

It is getting more and more difficult to detect all the horrors that are in our food today.
It is to the point now that I only buy brown sugar and white sugar labeled "Pure cane"

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join