It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Cave Dive Leaves Mystery (or: "take a break" from OBL thread!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Every once in a while National Geograpic puts up a video that makes me wish I was younger and could make some life chioces over (a "re-do" or Mulligan-for the golfers). Seriously. If you knew then what you know now, what you like to change as a life choice? For me.... I would want to be a Deep Water Diver.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a51983606032.jpg[/atsimg]
Just watch the amazing trek these dudes take. And, they still haven't found what they seek. Dedicated for sure. Enjoy:

Even after a record dive in what may be the world's deepest coldwater cave, explorers still hunt for the source of a New Zealand river

May 3, 2011—An Australian team has made a record-breaking dive in what may be the world's deepest coldwater cave. But the explorers still haven't reached the end of this New Zealand cave, thought to lead to the mysterious source of the Pearse River.

Source: video.nationalgeographic.com...

Any ATSers from that area or have any knowledge of this place etc? I/we would love to hear about it.

I don't want to say much about the video until one has a chance to watch it. I'll comment more later.

And, if you like this one on diving... You'll love this one-Trust Me:

Diver 'VANISHES' in Portal to Maya Underworld (awesome video & the FIND!)
www.abovetopsecret.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/00930f1cca6a.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 5/8/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Those guys are aquatic astronauts. Caving can be nerve wrecking if you lose orientation - doubly so when you are diving. Triple so when you are deep diving in a dark cave!
edit on 8-5-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Maybe a small remote controlled sub with a camera on it can do what man can't.Have man take the sub to a certain point and then send it on its way and continue charting.
Under water cave exploring sounds like a lot of fun but can be very dangerous at the same time.Too dangerous for my likings.I'd like to do it but don't feel like going too far.
Maybe the source is just a really deep under ground lake that is always obtaining its source of water through the water in the ground that seeps down and then with all the pressure it rises back up through the cave where the earth is solid.
What if at some point in the river it drains some water back to the original source.An eco friendly dye in the water could see if that were the case.
I don't know just trying to think of ways to figure this out without the risk of life
S&F

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

Hey, thanks for sharing. Man they have got some balls! Just the thought of 'dry' caving wigs me out.

Look how clear the water is though, i find that amazing.

Sorry anon72 credit meant for you
edit on 8/5/11 by logicalview because: Moment of numptyness!

edit on 8/5/11 by logicalview because: and another!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by A por uvas

Dont forget that you have to keep up a connection between the ROV. I can imagine that this would be not a easy task. Either a wire or ELF but it would be low bandwith to serve all needs (video and driving commands)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

No problem Man. I am glad you liked the thread.

I go to thinking about the ROV's. I am sure they thought of that and/or tried. (I am trying to find out).

I think the sharp curves decents/accents ect make it undoable. IMO.

I can't wait to see where they determine the source is. I wish they would have said more about the attempts to locate it with the dyes etc.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Went out to spend a nice sunny sunday at the tapas bars in madrid.Just got back.After looking at the terrain on earth google and seeing that Mt Arthur is directly west of the source coming out of what is called Pearse river along with the snow covered ranges surrounding I would expect the source to be coming from the seepage of water from the snow that covers this area (once glaciated) there fore creating a spring type effect. So the snow that is up goes down through the earth and as the saying goes what goes up must come down but in this case what goes down goes back up and back down again.I could be wrong of course but it makes sense to me.If it leads to a giant underground lake between the strata would be a great find to add.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
If they popped out right here it wouldn't surprise me
earth google 41degrees 13 42.75"S 172degrees 40 59.49" E
3954ft

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Nice thread enjoyed the video.

If you like this kind of stuff you can check out a thread I did a while back about the blue holes of the bahamas.

Deep Dark Secrets

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I wish more folks would comment. All appreciated though.

I liked the one pic I used so much that I made it my mini-pic.

Glad you all enjoyed and like the input done.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Great thread Anon..

I watched the video also..

I love these kind of adventurous finds..

Wish i was younger also..would love to do that..

ah well..thanks for the cool thread

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
we explore so many aspects of the universe
but yet so much remains hidden beneath our very feet

to find the source of the river
dye should be used

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
have you ever been scuba diving. you have to be nuts to do this. when you are high up, they tell you not to look down.

it's the opposite when you scuba dive. you look up and you realize how deep you are. then there's the pressure, which splits your ears with a pain that feels like a metal ice pick is being jabbed in your brain.

then the gasping for air, because the feeling is so unnatural that you feel like you're drowning.

then the fact that if for any reason, if your regulator malfunctions or gets knocked out of your mouth, you could only hold your breath for a maximum of 3 seconds because of the pressure and you'll automatically gasp and swallow a complete lung full of water.

literally your dive partner has to be like a maximum of 6 or 7 feet away to get you help in time. and that's even if he notices you're in trouble. any farther away from that and you're pretty much dead.

sky diving is much safer.

edit on 8-5-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Isn't this how the plot of Piranha 3D started? I wonder if they will awaken or release some ancient life form.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
anon, thank you for providing this thread. Really, a nice break of late. Stop and smell the roses, stop and see the cave divers. Wow!
I love living vicariously.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Awesome reply.

I take it you have been there and done that? So-to-speak. You a diver?

I think someday when we do reach the bottom of the oceans floors and can really explore/learn from them, untold treasures will be revealed. Many missing links-I think.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a5f04bb73e6c.png[/atsimg]

In the Yucatan Peninsula they have these underground pools that are gorgeous, if not very deep. The one pictured above is called The Well of Souls. At certain times of the day sunlight streams in and lights the place up.

A spanish language video detailing some of the amazing geography around there. I would have posted other videos of people scuba diving and swimming in the cenotes but there is a lot of nudity going on in them.

David Grouchy

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing, very cool - it's interesting how all of the sudden (or maybe it's just me) there's been a lot of stuff about cave exploration - wonder what the reasons are for doing so.

I remember not that long ago there were several huge caves discovered in South America that had gigantic quartz crystal formations - they looked like the inside of a Geode.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Wow, what a great reply post. Just packed full of info.

Thank you.

I wonder how many more places like this exist?

As I always say/think. We just haven't dug down (or gone down) far enough to find what will utlimately be great dscoveries of our past-whatever it maybe.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

sky diving is much safer.

Love this line. And, now reading/seeing this thread and info.

I have to agree with you. I wouldn't have before-probably-but now-definetly.

Star

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join