It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide drugs could be made available over the counter if euthanasia laws are changed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Suicide drugs could be made available over the counter if euthanasia laws are changed

w ww.telegraph.co.uk

Suicide drugs could be made available from pharmacists if assisted dying was legalised, two of Britain’s most highly-regarded legal and medical experts have claimed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
For some reason I don't think we will ever see these drugs made available over the counter . But it is interesting to see this speculative report .

One thing is for sure , it brings the issue of euthanasia to public debate . I would also bet there is a fair percent of people out there who would back this idea .

w ww.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
they should be
we abort fetus
if you want to depopulate yourself
why are you or me permitted to stop this

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Dr Kevorkian is a hero.
Second line

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

although i am for assisted suicide, i dont think that would be a great idea, what if someone found a bottle of that stuff and mistook it for pain killers trying to get high, or someone steals it and uses it to poison someone who doesnt want to die,just my oppinion

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
All drugs should be available over the counter.

Both for moral reasons and logical reasons.

Logically you can't stop a person from killing themselves and you shouldn't have to justify it to another person.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Any deadly pharmaceutical should NOT be OTC (Over the Counter).

You should need a prescription of some sort. This prevents all types of potential problems down the road.

At the same time check out the absurdity of this though. We have a really well known herbal plant that many folks love using for many reasons. However this herbal plant is highly illegal in most places, and in the places where it is semi-legal, you NEED a prescription for it.

But here is the clincher, that herbal plant is 100% safe and has never been scientifically attributed to the death of any human being. But it's super restricted??

But in 20 years I might be able to get suicide pills OTC?

This has got to be the dumbest planet in the galaxy bar none. It will be HARD for any other planet to up us on some of this crap.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jezus
All drugs should be available over the counter.

Both for moral reasons and logical reasons.

Logically you can't stop a person from killing themselves and you shouldn't have to justify it to another person.

I do agree at the base level with your statement. The government really shouldn't be regulating medicine, as they only screw things up really bad.

But if we are going to have a OTC vs Prescription Pharmacy system, we should at least do it logically and make all the safe stuff OTC and the really dangerous volatile stuff Prescription.

By the looks of this garbage, the system will be backwards. I can get my suicide pills OTC easily, but if I want some 'herb' I got to get a doctor's order. How dumb.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I rather like the idea of being allowed to check out in a nice, civilized manner.

Who wants to stay to the bitter end when you can't take care of yourself anymore?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
one thing to rule on the legality of euthanasia

but making it available over the counter...what a big effin LOL...

sensationalist tabloid as a source...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
One thing that can't be over looked in is matter . Imagine how many of these people just might live alone ? Now imagine people lieing dead rotting in there homes until one day they are discovered ?

Could creat quite the new epidemic .

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I am for assisted suicide,, however I do believe it needs
to monitored closely but not by the govt. I don't trust them
with my pet turtle. As for the medications being available -
the patients doctor should be given access to the drug. I don't
think it should be OTC or by prescription.

I don't want to go on if there is nothing more than
pain and agony in life and others feel the same.

edit on 6-5-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Fox Glove.. available at your local home improvement store of plant nursery.. beautiful plant and will calmly stop you heart (it is the source of digitalis)... with so many things easily available that can kill us, what's the criteria that defines what is and is not available OTC?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

This is a ridiculous subject- to debate whether or not a person has sovereign say so over how or when they want to end. They merely require it be messy or frightful to trump up the fear of the unknown. Most people are narcissistic enough to be incapable of envisioning their own end and will fight to the most miserable extreme to live on, despite the degradation.

The laws against it penalize only the few who are bored to death, (literally), or in too poor a condition to continue. IMHO this discussion is being raised for profit. A huge segment of society is entering retirement/ severe healthcare coverage and governments are looking for a way out. NOW they will discuss compassionate assisted suicides. But FIRST they will have to ensure their eligible tax paying base will not have access to it.

The slippery slope was never about morality- it was always about profit. And when a country is in serious war or underpopulated, even the old folks matter. When not- eh, pull out the euthanasia card.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
My word!!! lol

Sometimes I feel like crap and wish I could end it, I suffer from depression, imagine if people felt like me and actually went there, bloody swell.

They'd make a bomb if Emo's went there

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
Fox Glove.. available at your local home improvement store of plant nursery.. beautiful plant and will calmly stop you heart (it is the source of digitalis)... with so many things easily available that can kill us, what's the criteria that defines what is and is not available OTC?

the problem as you mentioned is not the scarcity of products that would kill you.

its the legality of it. or precisely the legality of having someone assist you in your death.

thousands of ways to die. but the person that helps you will go to jail...so...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I don't have much of a comment on this except that OTC to me means that I can buy it without a prescription. This article says that it would be prescribed. Big difference.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Theres no way these would be OTC.
That would mean a 10 year old could buy them ( obviously they would put something like no under 18 can purchase this ). But thats a very stupid idea, what about the people who are depressed and want to kill themselves painlessly?

I used to be suicidal, and I know for a fact, if these were available, I would've taken them like that. It would be a death sentance to thousands if they make it OTC. And when people are suicidal they think suicide is the best choice. But when they aren't suicidal they realize ( just like me ) they are so happy they didn't kill themselves.

If its available by prescription, and only to people who are terminally ill then I guess thats ok, but supporting suicide isn't a good thing to do.

This is just the first part to a wonderful life! And I'm not talking about heaven or hell. Heaven or Hell is what you create for yourself right now.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

lol...i dont think you were "suicidal" enough during your depression episode

thats a good thing...

if youre mobile...if one is determined to die...your options are limitless

you dont need to go buy that otc med, prescription required or not...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I fully support it!

We had to do a whole project on this kind of thing in psyche class years ago,
and when it was done, I fully understood the importance of this and have felt strongly about it since.
Thanks for the post!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join