It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Did You First Question What You've Been Told?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
What was the specific event that led you to start forming your own opinions on matters most people accept as fact with questioning or research? I'm curious. Please don't respond with, "I've always questioned things". Even if it was early in your life, something or someone provoked that. I'll start.

Before I started on my search for the Truth, I had several stepping stones, be it through music and movies. But I thank Obama for my Awakening. On the night of the 2008 election I saw people in celebration as he was announced the next POTUS. I then asked the question, "Of the 300 million people in this country, is this man truly the best person for the job?" I knew there had to be something more. Then I learned about things I had never bothered looking into before, and the rest in history.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I first started to question things when the one I'm with made this statement about our president based on issues of national safety, etc.
"We elected him, so you have to trust him".

That just blew my mind.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
When I started developing software for forex, one of my colleges sent me home with the movie Money Masters. That started me down the rabbit hole.

edit on 6-5-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DaveakaRNG

When I was little I saw a shadow figure in a dark room that I just know appeared out of no where.

When my mom passed away. At her time of death and at the funeral, I wasn't as sad as I thought I'd be and I loved my mother very very much. It was because she was sitting right beside me and my younger siblings letting us know that, that body lying there is not even close to who we thought she was. I had to fake my tears to look "normal" to my family because I was afraid that I would be subjected to a psychiatrist. The family already thought we were "too close" I must admit, I felt strange not being as sad as I thought I would be. I was actually more distraught when she finally admitted to me that was going to pass because of the uncertainty of life without her. The fact that she died from cancer made me seek alternative health treatments. So the pharmaceutical conspiracies is what led me down the rabbit hole. One thing led to another and...

And what really took the cake was my Salvia Divinorum experiences which I can barely describe into words. But I know for sure I exist in parallel universes. :-)

edit on 6-5-2011 by sixneuproele because: typos

edit on 6-5-2011 by sixneuproele because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I first questioned the view that alien life does not exist. I was told that aliens did not exist by various "reliable" sources. But something made me question whether or not that was true. How could one tiny planet in an entire universe, be the only planet that sustains life? It was when I saw how small Earth was compared to the Milky Way and other Galaxies that I questioned this logic. I know that there are other life forms out there. I've never seen one, but they're out there. This reminds me of Farscape. Crichton was told as an astronaut that alien life didn't exist, and what happened? He was shot through a wormhole and boom! Alien life

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The whole Santa Claus thing.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DaveakaRNG

Actually, it was in high school for me.

History Class...and we are again hearing about Columbus discovering America. In Kindergarten, it was a nice story, and in Elementary School, it was an assignment but then in High School I thought..."wait a minute?"

How can someone discover something that was always here and had people living here already?

Then I researched more and discovered Vikings were on the East Coast of Canada before Columbus and recently have been hearing whispers of Egyptians and even Chinese that may have the knowledge to sail here.

Anyway....This 1492 thing, never felt right to me.

History is written by the winners of war. This is the most valuable lesson I have learned in life.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
About half a second before my dad smacked me up side the head the first time!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

this.....and being at the stations of the cross mass when i was 8 years old. even then i knew it was the most morbid and backwards concept ever. everyone crying for this dude who ill never see that was the son of some guy with a big white bead that lived in the clouds.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Good question. I'd have to say around grade 10 I became aware of the fact that we lived in a world of "carnival barkers" and not everything we were being told was true or legit. It was pretty obvious at an early age that Politicians were full of crap

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

Wait...What? Say it ain't so!

Then who puts my Jack Daniels, Pop Tarts and Slippers under the Christmas Tree?

I suppose now you're gonna tell me the Easter Bunny isn't real and that rabbits don't really poop out colored eggs.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

The beginning of me questioning what I have been taught started with religion. I was loosely raised as a Catholic. As soon as I was capable of seeing adults as equals I started questioning what was being shoved down my throat and the people who were doing it. My questions met inexcusable answers and I began to from my own opinion.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The fairy tales in Sunday School were hard to swallow.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
as a catholic kid they suggested i considered priesthood... until i started cutting religion class... then the school principal took me on a tour of the church to ask why i was rebelling to which i responded "it all sounds very nice... but i'm sorry, i just can't believe this" - i was 8

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I had been told the past came before the present and the future came after it.

I was 14 and in 8th grade. 1961. By this time we had studied Socrates and his theory of dividing things in half and how if you kept this up you would always just keep on going and going and going.

Well one afternoon I was lazing about thinking about the future, and hence the past. I thought about the far future, Flash Gordon(a famous spaceman for you kids) and I thought about the far past, Ali Oop. (a famous caveman).
Then I thought about next year and last year.
Then I thought about next week and last week.
Then I thought about tomorrow and yesterday.
Then I thought about an hour from now and an hour ago.
Then I thought about a minute from now and a minute ago.
Then I thought about a second from now and a second ago.
On ad infinitum. As long as I had some form of future and some form of past, then I could never find the present. Which meant that either there was no present OR thinks I, the present, the true now, does not exist within time.
Man did I ever think I was cool.
edit on 6-5-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: typo

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Well one afternoon I was lazing about thinking about the future, and hence the past. I thought about the far future, Flash Gordon(a famous spaceman for you kids) and I thought about the far past, Ali Oop. (a famous caveman).
On ad infinitum. As long as I had some form of future and some form of past, then I could never find the present. Which meant that either there was no present OR thinks I, the present, the true now, does not exist within time.

This is amazing logic and totally has me thinking now if there is even a present.
You, are awesome.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
I had been told the past came before the present and the future came after it.

I was 14 and in 8th grade. 1961. By this time we had studied Socrates and his theory of dividing things in half and how if you kept this up you would always just keep on going and going and going.

Would that mean that we are already moving at the speed of light?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
When I stopped listening.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

you were cool until you ceased believe that you were...

For me it was religion I suppose minus incidents of betrayal from family members.

I was reared by a family of pentecostals and my father figure was a pentecostal preacher.
At around the age of 8 or 9 I was able to question these types into a state of faith based frustration.

When I was 12, I partook of a sacred herb, feeling good for once, laying on a hillside of some ancient native american burial ground I pondered how something that made me feel so complete was illegal.

These two things plus many incidents of betrayal by family members helped me see through and once I started there was no stopping.

I still think I am cool especially when I am capable of imagining things that most are not like the fact that all this could be ongoing inside a Ancestor Simulation Harddrive...

Most ancient religions as well as many modern religions seem to say as much in so many twisted words and if not for my pentecostal upbringing I may never have thought to venture into these realms of thought so, Thank You!!!! You crazy christians...... for trying to brainwash this one!

yeah man, all some need is a good push in the wrong direction and the rest sorta happens quite naturally. You see one crack in the facade and sooner or later you begin to see many cracks if not large gaping holes...

One day you are armed to the teeth with information that most cannot even begin to accept as reality.

I continue to feel for them like a blind man reaching into the darkness yet they are simply "not there".
Back into Platos cave I journey often yet the rewards are fewer and fewer while the risks grow exponentially especially in times such as these.

Wake em up just so they can fall back to sleep.

A side note, it took me 4 years and several great documentaries to understand the MIHOP of 9/11.
Just a few days ago i watched a few clips of a planes wing disappearing "projection breaking up" and here I am again...
There might not have been any actual planes that hit the twin towers and I hope you all can imagine such a scenario? I said imagine, as in a possibility, you do not have to neccessarily believe to imagine

Excellent thread topic. s and f

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by NE1911

does that mean we are traveling at the speed of light?

I'd answer that but we'd both have to slow down to do so.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join