It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update on Gliese 581d’s Habitability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
scientist had studied more of gliese 581 D. The new investigation was called for because Gliese 581d is suspected to be tidally locked, the team assumed that the climate was dominated by the greenhouse effects of CO2 and H2O since this is true for all rocky planets with significant atmospheres in our solar system, the team added in oceans of liquid water which would help to moderate the climate. read more info on this. The conclusion is that Gliese 581d is potentially habitable the team said.
www.universetoday.com...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

system is relatively close to Earth (only 20 lightyears)

Only 20 light years ??
Good thread though

But that is a long way, at the current oficial speed we could be looking at thousands of years.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

Damn, ONLY 20 Light years? That's pretty much the gas station down the street! Maybe we'll get a technology boom in the next 50 years and be able to make the trip

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
if its true that we really are as limited as they say velocity-wise what you do, see, is build a vessel large enough to support a core population for several generations so that you'll have some colonists left when you do get there. long term project, granted, but i'll bet it's been done in lots of civilizations. unfortunately we're still technologically hundreds of years shy of this. heck we're only just out of the jungle. good to know it's out there though.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lifespath420

Maybe we'll get a technology boom in the next 50 years and be able to make the trip

I'll be 80. I hope i'll have enough money in the whiskey jar

It's a nice thought though

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

build a vessel large enough to support a core population for several generations

Apart from the many reasons why it is impossible right now in terms of technology.
What happens if the craft get hit by an asteroid?
Lose the whole population.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
i would never live on gliese 581.. sounds so clinical... yuck

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Nice to see some follow up on this. S&F for you.
And for once, a thread with no ties to Bin Liner..... oh wait,
now it has.. dammit!!!

On topic, maybe we should create another Ark and send it..... ohh, maybe thats what that Ark (seed vault) in Norway (?) is for.... oh boy, here goes another conspiracy

top topics

join