It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some advice choosing a knife

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by realeyes

I know you said you were looking for a folder, but I bought an SOG Seal Pup, the smaller version of the original knife. This knife carries a $50 price tag (although MSRP on SOG website says nearly $100, I bought mine at Dicks Sporting Goods for $49.99), its small enough to pack away, yet beefy enough to get many jobs done. The included sheath allows many different carry options, and includes an additional pouch perfect for a lighter, emergency fishing kit, etc.

For me this is not an EDC knife, but I definately have it with me any time I go fishing, camping, kayaking, hiking, etc. The only thing I would change about it is to remove the serrations at the base, but that is personal preference. The knife is extremely sharp out of the package, very good weight and feel to it, etc.

One thing I have done is use a blade and soldering iron to cut a 'notch' out of the sheath to allow access to the blade while it is still sheathed. This makes quick work of fishing line, small rope etc. Similar to seat belt cutters, or a skinning hook I suppose.

There are many MANY other knives that are just as good, if not better than the SOG Seal Pup, but I have not regretted my purchase for one second. This knife has fully lived up to my expectations of it, plus some!

*just some input from someone who seems to have very similar interests and intentions for a knife.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by realeyes
Thanks all for the advice. I ended up with a Kershaw Leek 1660st. Paid $65 in a local store. I like the weight and it feels pretty solid. The blade swings out quickly and she's sharp as a b*tch! Hopefully it lasts a while. Thanks again for the suggestions.

ETA: and its made in the USA!
edit on 8-5-2011 by realeyes because: (no reason given)

You cannot get a better knife for the price!! They'll hold their edge for quite a while. You'll be very happy for years to come. I also forgot to mention, if you break the blade, for any reason, they'll replace it. I had their vise-grip style multi-tool years back, and snapped the tip of the knife blade off, my own dumb ass fault, trying to pry something. They gave me a whole new tool, no questions asked.
edit on 11-5-2011 by deesul69 because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join